Knowledge Base

How do I manage the firewall?

• 25 August 2014
  • 2 replies
Userlevel 7
  • Retired Webrooter
  • 1581 replies

This content has been reviewed and updated by APruneau on February 19th, 2020.

Question

Answer

The SecureAnywhere firewall monitors data traffic traveling out of your computer ports. It looks for untrusted processes that try to connect to the Internet and steal your personal information. It works with the Windows firewall, which monitors data traffic coming into your computer. With both the SecureAnywhere and Windows firewall turned on, your data has complete inbound and outbound protection.

You should not turn off either the Windows firewall or the SecureAnywhere firewall. If they are disabled, your system is open to many types of threats whenever you connect to the Internet or to a network. These firewalls can block malware, hacking attempts, and other online threats before they can cause damage to your system or compromise your security.

The SecureAnywhere firewall is preconfigured to filter traffic on your computer. It works in the background without disrupting your normal activities. If the firewall detects any unrecognized traffic, it opens an alert where you can block the traffic or allow it to proceed.

To view firewall status or disable the firewall:

1. Open SecureAnywhere (see Using the SecureAnywhere interface)  
  2. The Firewall status shows on the main page under PC Security.  
  3. The green button indicates the Firewall is enabled.
    • To disable the firewall: click the white portion of the button. You may be prompted to complete a CAPTCHA screen. SecureAnywhere displays a warning that your Firewall is disabled and recommends you re-enable it.

• To enable the Firewall: click Enable Now or the red portion of the Firewall button.  

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +24
Managing a firewall is not the same as enabling or disabling it -or at least, that's only one aspect of managing a firewall.

How do I know when the Webroot firewall has blocked a program? Is there anywhere I can check in the Webroot console?  Is there a history or a log file?  I have been searching for half an hour and have found no way to know.  These articles have no description of any process steps I can take, or where to look.

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello ?

Welcome to the Webroot Community 

I posted here earlier with incorrect information. I sincerely apologize .

Please look here : https://community.webroot.com/t5/Ideas-Exchange/Outbound-connections-fw-control-in-Win-8-Win-8-1/idi-p/60003