How do I stop Webroot WSDaemon taking 80-100% CPU on my mac?

• 22 January 2016
  • 8 replies

Mac slow... activity monitor says WSDaemon is using 80-100% of CPU on idle.

Any fix for this?

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello wanchaiman,

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

Well my advice would be an uninstall / reinstall of Webroot to see if that fixes this issue. But to confirm this I would like to ping our Mac Threat Reseacher ? to see what he saids.

To uninstall and reinstall Webroot SecureAnywhere, follow the instructions below.

** Part 1: Uninstall Webroot **
1. Shut down SecureAnywhere by clicking the Webroot icon (green W) in the menu bar and selecting Shut Down SecureAnywhere.
2. If prompted, confirm that you want to shut down SecureAnywhere.
3. Open the Finder by clicking the Finder icon in the dock.
4. Open the Applications directory.
5. Click and drag the Webroot SecureAnywhere program icon into the Trash in the dock.
6. A confirming window appears. Click Uninstall.
7. Webroot SecureAnywhere is now uninstalled. There is no need to restart your computer.

** Part 2: Reinstall Webroot *

2. Double-click wsamac.dmg to open the installer.
3. Drag the Webroot SecureAnywhere icon into the Applications folder.
4. Open the Applications folder by double-clicking the folder icon.
5. In the Applications folder, double-click the Webroot SecureAnywhere icon to begin activation.
6. In the first activation window, enter your keycode and if prompted, confirm the installation by entering your Apple system password and click OK.
8. The next screen describes SecureAnywhere's Safari extension. Click the Install Safari Extension button, and confirm any prompts that appear.
9. In the Safari dialog, click Install.
10. When the Activation Successful screen opens, click Scan Now. Please allow this scan to complete. It will only take a few minutes to run.
11. In the Scan Complete window, click Close. The main window opens.
You can verify at any time that SecureAnywhere is running by looking for the Webroot icon (green W) in your menu bar.
Kind Regards,

You also can Submit a Support ticket free of charge with an active subscription and they can take a look for you.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:

Any fix for this?
I would need to gather logs in order to find out what is going on.  Please submit a ticket to our support team and let them know that you have talked to me and that you need to run the mac logs program for me to analyze. 
Regards,

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
@ wrote:

Any fix for this?
I would need to gather logs in order to find out what is going on.  Please submit a ticket to our support team and let them know that you have talked to me and that you need to run the mac logs program for me to analyze. 
Regards,

Thank you so much Devin for your assistance!
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Can you tell us what you found here please? I am seeing the same thing. 

Additional info: turning OFF the protection did nothing. Quitting the browser caused the amount of CPU time WSDeamon was using to drop significantly. But restarting the broswer (Chrome) even with security turned off caused a spike in CPU usage by WSDeamon, which eventually slowed down over 30 seconds to a minute. 

Seems the problem is with Chrome and Web protect. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +25
One more thing. I turned off protection for both realtime and Web threat. I quite the browser and relaunched. CPU time dropped. I restarted the browser and after about 1 minute, the CPU went back to almost 98% for WSDeamon. I relaunched Webroot Secureanywhere and the items I had turned off were both turned back on. What gives with that?
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi  MajorHavoc,

Our Mac Threat Researcher is no longer with us. So I never did find out the reason for the 80-100% spike with Webroot WSDaemon acting up like this. Usually a Webroot Uninstall/reinstall will fix this.

I am not having any issues with my Mac though but nevertheless your best bet is to let the Webroot Support Team have a look at this and they will resolve any issues that you are having very quickly.

Thanks,
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
@ wrote:
Hi  MajorHavoc,

Our Mac Threat Researcher is no longer with us. So I never did find out the reason for the 80-100% spike with Webroot WSDaemon acting up like this. Usually a Webroot Uninstall/reinstall will fix this.

I am not having any issues with my Mac though but nevertheless your best bet is to let the Webroot Support Team have a look at this and they will resolve any issues that you are having very quickly.

Thanks,
Thanks ssherjj,

It has settled down now. It seems restarting Chrome solved the problem, so I am suspecting something in the Web Threat Shield is causing this. Just an FYI

-Owen-
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
Hi  MajorHavoc,

Thanks,
Thanks ssherjj,

It has settled down now. It seems restarting Chrome solved the problem, so I am suspecting something in the Web Threat Shield is causing this. Just an FYI

-Owen-
You are most welcome Owen! Thank you for letting us know..;)