Solved

How do I uninstall Webroot Filtering Extension

• 9 September 2015
  • 37 replies

The Webroot Filtering Extension is slowing my computer way down. To the point where things time out before loading. How do I disable, uninstall the filtering extension?
icon

Best answer by shorTcircuiT 9 September 2015, 14:01

View original

37 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello there, welcome to the Community!

There has been a change in the filter extensions in how to disable and remove them.  Please see THIS KB Article for more information.  You MIGHT be able to disable them yourself in the Browser settings, Extensions / Addons but you may need to follow the directions in the KB as well.

If I may ask, what browser are you using?  I am getting reports from users of Chrome that they now have a slowdown in that browser only.  If you have been using the Filter Extention all along, and only now are having issues with it and a slowdown, please submit a Trouble Ticket so that Webroot Support can gather information and submit it to the Dev's so that the issue will be fixed.

I hope this helps!
Chrome
Userlevel 7
Thanks!  Go ahead and follow the directions of the KB Article if you need to, though you may be able to disable the extension simply by click on the Chrome 'three bar menu" at the upper right, select More Tools, and then Extensions. 

If you have been using the Filter Extension before without a problem, please do submit that trouble ticket.  Webroot Support needs to document as much as they can in order to find and fix a problem.
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
? I think that the KB article is misleading for most users since it refers to unchecking the box for "Active browser extensions" under Firewall/Web Shield. I suspect that this this is only possible with beta versions of WSA; the release version doesn't have that option (at least mine doesn't - v 9.0.2.21).

As an aside, it seems to be taking for ever to get this change into the release version; perhaps though the the KB article is a sign of things to come! 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
The release that has the checkbox should be going out today, if all goes well.
Userlevel 7
?  We put this out yesterday due to a few posts that looked like a FEW users may have received the code early.  What they were describing matched what we would expect to see after this goes out to everyone.

SINCE a FEW users may be affected, it is better to let them check for it, as well as give them the other available options as well.  
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
Thanks nic - thought it might not be too far off but today is a lovely surprise!  Sorry I posted now! 😳
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
?Quite right David, I should have realised what was happening. Looking forward to the new version.
Userlevel 7
No worries.  If there was NO chance that anyone was seeing it, and the release would not be for another couple weeks... you would be quite right.

:)
Userlevel 4
I've noticed the slowdown as well using Chrome and disabled the WRSA filtering extension in Chrome which seems to have taken care of the problem. 
Userlevel 7
?

Please submit a Trouble Ticket to have Webroot Support gather data.  They are still working on things, trying to improve efficiency, so as far as I know all additional data they can collect will help us get a better product, one that we wont think a need to turn part of it off.
Userlevel 4
@ wrote:
@

Please submit a Trouble Ticket to have Webroot Support gather data.  They are still working on things, trying to improve efficiency, so as far as I know all additional data they can collect will help us get a better product, one that we wont think a need to turn part of it off.
Submitted.
Userlevel 4
Interesting reply from Tech Support. They said that they ran into the same issue today while on another user's PC. They said to download CCleaner and run it, it took care of the problem without disabling the extension.
Thanks to everyone for the help. I was able to disable it from the extra tools / extension option and seems to be going a lot faster, like normal.
Userlevel 7
Thank you for letting us know!  We always appreciate knowing when things are working better.

Keep an eye on the Community as we know there is an issue with the Extension slowing down Chrome.  Webroot is working on it, so you may want to re-enable the Extension once things are working better.  You are better protected with it on.

Cheers  :)
Userlevel 4
The Tech Support suggestion to download/install/run CCleaner seems to have worked.  I ran the cleaner and reenabled the extension and no slowness was noticed so far.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
The Tech Support suggestion to download/install/run CCleaner seems to have worked.  I ran the cleaner and reenabled the extension and no slowness was noticed so far.
Really?  How every interesting.  I really do not quite see why that would stop the slow down of the extension, but it is a bit early yet for me to be doing cognitive thinking.

Thank you really very much for letting us know!  Whatever the reason it worked doesn't really matter, it gives us a better method to use here before we need to send users on to Support.

Kudo's and glad it is working better!
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
Really?  How every interesting.  I really do not quite see why that would stop the slow down of the extension, but it is a bit early yet for me to be doing cognitive thinking.

Thank you really very much for letting us know!  Whatever the reason it worked doesn't really matter, it gives us a better method to use here before we need to send users on to Support.

Kudo's and glad it is working better!
Hi Webrooters..

i agree David it's odd that cleaner would help the Webfilter but it's great to know. I used it last night after reading this post. Not much of a change for me..but yet I'm not having much of an issue ..LOL 
Userlevel 4
That worked till I restarted once or twice and the problem returned so I again disabled the extension.  I passed that along to Tech Support also.
Userlevel 4
Tech Support replied that they want me to call to do a remote for my problem.  I figured that I'd have to enable the extension so I'd have the problem when I called.  I enabled the extension but don't have the problem now!  Maybe it'll come back after a restart/reboot or maybe they fixed it????
Userlevel 7
They probably fixed it.  I have heard they they can use WSA Complete's System Optimizer or CCleaner, both of which can clear the browser cache, cookies, history, etc.  It seems that the issue with the Chrome extension has to do with it not liking a lot of junk that really should be removed anyway.  

Webroot is working on it to make it work better so that we don't have to remember to get rid of the junk in order for things to work, but it is a good idea to do it anyway.

Userlevel 4
@ wrote:
They probably fixed it.  I have heard they they can use WSA Complete's System Optimizer or CCleaner, both of which can clear the browser cache, cookies, history, etc.  It seems that the issue with the Chrome extension has to do with it not liking a lot of junk that really should be removed anyway.  

Webroot is working on it to make it work better so that we don't have to remember to get rid of the junk in order for things to work, but it is a good idea to do it anyway.

It's back!!
Userlevel 7
You can go back into the Trouble Ticket and let them know that the problem has returned.
Userlevel 4
I actually did that twice!  Once to ask if they fixed it and they asked me to call when/if it returns.  I then told them that it did but I don't have the time at the moment.
Userlevel 7
When you do have the time, follow up, and let them know what time it was, roughly, when you noticed it had returned.  They are will likely want to gather some logs, so I would suggest you do not clear browser history cache or anything like that. Just let it sit for the moment if you can until you can contact them.