Solved

How do I uninstall Webroot Filtering Extension

• 9 September 2015
  • 37 replies

The Webroot Filtering Extension is slowing my computer way down. To the point where things time out before loading. How do I disable, uninstall the filtering extension?
icon

Best answer by shorTcircuiT 9 September 2015, 14:01

View original

37 replies

Userlevel 4
@ wrote:
When you do have the time, follow up, and let them know what time it was, roughly, when you noticed it had returned.  They are will likely want to gather some logs, so I would suggest you do not clear browser history cache or anything like that. Just let it sit for the moment if you can until you can contact them.
I'm on a dual boot with W7 Pro/W10 Pro.  In W7 with Chrome there isn't a web filtering extension installed and I checked that I do have the latest version.
Userlevel 7
Hi wptski

I think that you either follow David's suggestion, bearing in mind it is the weekend or if you are desparate to get the extension installed in Chrome then we can try the work around that has been posted previously in relation to that.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 4
@ wrote:
Hi wptski

I think that you either follow David's suggestion, bearing in mind it is the weekend or if you are desparate to get the extension installed in Chrome then we can try the work around that has been posted previously in relation to that.

Regards, Baldrick
Work around?  You mean turn it off?  I'm not desparate just curious.
Userlevel 7
Hi wptski

No worries...no, not turn it off but add in the extension into the Chrome Extension Manager. That is what I meant.

When you go into Chrome are you seeing the extensions in the Extensions Manager, or not?  If not then they are not installed, but I suspect that what you are referring to is the web filtering driver which is recently introduced.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 4
@ wrote:
Hi wptski

No worries...no, not turn it off but add in the extension into the Web Filtering  Extension. That is what I meant.

When you go into Chrome are you seeing the extensions in the Extensions Manager, or not?  If not then they are not installed, but I suspect that what you are referring to is the web filtering driver which is recently introduced.

Regards, Baldrick
Aren't we talking about the "Web Filtering  Extension" here or something else??  In Chrome Extension Manage in W10 Chrome the Web Filtering  Extension is there which causes the problem but in W7 Chrome it's not.

In W7, Web Filtering  Extension, add extensions, searched for Webroot and no filtering extension shows.  How do/would one add the extension in say, W7 Chrome just as a test?  Maybe there isn't a W7 compatiable extension yet?
Userlevel 7
Hi wptski

OK, if you want to try the workaround to get the Webroot extensions (this works for Password & Filtering ones) you can try this;

Navigate to C:ProgramDataWRDataPKG...note that this is a hidden folder and so you will either need to adjust the settings using the Control Panel's Folder Options to view such folders, or you can use the programdataWRData commend in the Search field under the Start Menu and then select the PKG folder from the list provided.

Then, open the Chrome Extensions page in the browser, and at the top of the page check Developer Mode to be 'On'.

After that for the Web Filtering extension you open the 'Chrome' sub folder, and from within that you drag the following file to the Extensions page:

CHROME_1.n.n.nn.crx

Note that there may be a number of Chrome_ files in the folder so always drag 'n drop the one with the highest version no.

After the drag 'n drop await the message that one is trying to install a new extension to which you should answer 'Install'.

Once the extension has been installed uncheck the Developer Mode and enjoy...you should now have the extension working under Chrome.

I have done this for Windows 7, 8, 8.1 & recently for Windows 10...and it works...at least for me. ;)

Not the official way of getting it installed but I hope that helps?

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 4
@ wrote:
Hi wptski

OK, if you want to try the workaround to get the Webroot extensions (this works for Password & Filtering ones) you can try this;

Navigate to C:ProgramDataWRDataPKG...note that this is a hidden folder and so you will either need to adjust the settings using the Control Panel's Folder Options to view such folders, or you can use the programdataWRData commend in the Search field under the Start Menu and then select the PKG folder from the list provided.

Then, open the Chrome Extensions page in the browser, and at the top of the page check Developer Mode to be 'On'.

After that for the Web Filtering extension you open the 'Chrome' sub folder, and from within that you drag the following file to the Extensions page:

CHROME_1.n.n.nn.crx

Note that there may be a number of Chrome_ files in the folder so always drag 'n drop the one with the highest version no.

After the drag 'n drop await the message that one is trying to install a new extension to which you should answer 'Install'.

Once the extension has been installed uncheck the Developer Mode and enjoy...you should now have the extension working under Chrome.

I have done this for Windows 7, 8, 8.1 & recently for Windows 10...and it works...at least for me. ;)

Not the official way of getting it installed but I hope that helps?

Regards, Baldrick
At first I grabbed the wrong file version and it said I was downgrading, went grabbed the other file.  It did nothing as it's the same version as the disabled version already installed.  Did I miss something?
Userlevel 7
OK, well I thought from what you were saying previously that you were interested in trying this on Windows 7 where you did not have the extensions installed...now what am I missing?

If you have the extensions installed then there is no need to install them again unless the version installed is anterior to the version you have in the Webroot folder, in which case you can delete the extension that is installed in Chrome, and then drag and drop the newer version into the Extension Manager, after which you should then enable the extensions concerned.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 4
@ wrote:
OK, well I thought from what you were saying previously that you were interested in trying this on Windows 7 where you did not have the extensions installed...now what am I missing?

If you have the extensions installed then there is no need to install them again unless the version installed is anterior to the version you have in the Webroot folder, in which case you can delete the extension that is installed in Chrome, and then drag and drop the newer version into the Extension Manager, after which you should then enable the extensions concerned.

Regards, Baldrick
No, I thought that the extension was also used in W7 Chrome as well.  I've had some strange issue with Chrome lately and this is just another.
Ha, at least I know how to do it from W7 now!  I wonder about downgrading to an older version, would that work without slowing down the browser?
Userlevel 7
You could certainly try that approach.  In fact that was the approach taken in relation to the Password Manager under Firefox whilst sorting it out working under Mozilla's new rules was in progress.

Give it a try and see whether that works for you...the manual 'tweak' works for whaever version of the extensions you want to use it for.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 4
@ wrote:
You could certainly try that approach.  In fact that was the approach taken in relation to the Password Manager under Firefox whilst sorting it out working under Mozilla's new rules was in progress.

Give it a try and see whether that works for you...the manual 'tweak' works for whaever version of the extensions you want to use it for.

Regards, Baldrick
It shows "attempting to downgrade, OK" but appears that it doesn't because nothing new in the list and/or the newer version is still intact.  Maybe I have to delete the new version first?

Nope, it won't allow downgrading nomatter if one deleted the newer version or not but will allow the installing of latest version.
Userlevel 7
That is really weird...I have never come across that before...I may have to give it a try again myself but the last time I tried, which was recently, there was no issue.  :S