How do you roll back the update?

• 1 November 2013
  • 8 replies

• Fresh Face
  • 4 replies
This "update" to the "new & improved" Webroot has a marked loss of functionality compared to the older version. An example is the lack of whitelist control for websites. How does on roll back the update?

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Unfortunatelly there is no way how to revert to the 2013 version because even if you had stored the old installer, it will always check for the new builds during installations.

As for the web whitelisting, you can still do that deleting an entry from file WhiteList.txt in c:ProgramDataWRDatawrUrl

However I agree that this is not so convenient and smart way. Webroot agrees and is gonna to improve the web shield including the better way of websites whitelistening.
Unless I am mistaken and although I wouldn't recommend it (I always prefer to have the latest and most powerful anti-malware version available), theroretically this should be possible.

The necessary steps would be:
1. Use System Restore to to return to a system state before WSA updated to the 2014 version.
2. Make sure that your internet connection is disconnected so you don't immediately and automatically update again.
3. Go to Settings/Advanced Settings/Basic Configuration
4. Untick "Automatically download and apply updates"
5. Restore your internet connection

As I say, I certainly wouldn't recommend this, but I see no reason why it shouldn't work. Or am I missing something??

Userlevel 7
While it could work a while it won't work too long. If I am correct the new WSA has redesigned core and other modules so I tend to think that the old version would stop to work at certain time because there might be a problem in communication between the old desktop WSA and Cloud. Anyway a decent explanation of Webroot folks is welcome.
@ wrote:
While it could work a while it won't work too long. If I am correct the new WSA has redesigned core and other modules so I tend to think that the old version would stop to work at certain time because there might be a problem in communication between the old desktop WSA and Cloud. Anyway a decent explanation of Webroot folks is welcome.
Maybe you're right. Anyway out of pure intellectual curiosity (I see little to no use in reverting to an earlier WSA version—in fact, it seems to me to be a retrograde step), I would be interested in hearing a reaction from Webroot staff
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I would be interested in hearing a reaction from Webroot staff
I too, hopefuly we will get what we are looking for.
While there is a c:ProgramDataWRData directory, there is no wrUrl subdirectory. Yet I know some websites that generated Webroot warnings were whitelisted.
Userlevel 7
If you don't have wrurl directory it does mean that you didn't receive yet the new web shield update.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
If you rename an old installer to your keycode and turn off auto-updating before the scan completes, you can stay with the old version.
However, there is no public archive of old versions and forum members are not able to redistribute old installers.

Although i understand where youre coming from, I'dlike to hear the exact issues youre having,