How to fully remove Webroot?

• 11 February 2017
  • 11 replies

Webroots ironically named "anti"virus software has messed up my computer so bad that I just need to get rid of it. Everything started freezing and crashing the day I downloaded it; now that it is uninstalled the freezing and crashing is gone (literally the second I uninstalled it) but it won't let me install any other antivirus software (like AVG). Clearly the software has embedded a file somewhere that is disabling my ability to download other antivirus software. Where is this file and how do I remove it?

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello,

Go into safe mode and delete all the Webroot related files and folders if WSA is Uninstalled. https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Complete/Installation-Folder-and-File-Locations/ta-p/3766

If not uninstalled then try to uninstall in safe mode with networking and then boot back into normal mode.

Daniel
I feel like I shouldn't to specify that I already checked the program files. I'm not an idiot. There aren't any files left there, and yet I still can't download my AVG because it says it has a "problem with current software." I'm not asking you how to unistall Webroot, which I've already done, I'm asking how to fix this problem that it left on my computer.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
I feel like I shouldn't to specify that I already checked the program files. I'm not an idiot. There aren't any files left there, and yet I still can't download my AVG because it says it has a "problem with current software." I'm not asking you how to unistall Webroot, which I've already done, I'm asking how to fix this problem that it left on my computer.
I never said you are one.... but now you mention it, I don't play nice with TROLLS you should know.

Feel free to Contact Webroot Support.
I did. Your ~snip~ support line is closed on the weekends.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Watch what words you post in Public.
Whatever. Ban me from this forum for all I care, you obviously have no idea how to fix this issue. I'll just have to wait until Monday so I can talk to someone helpful I guess.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Submit a Support Ticket as they are on 24/7
Okay, thanks. Sorry if I seem pissed; it's not you, it's just that my computer is really important to me and I'm just irritated at how messed up it's been these past few days.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
One last time:

Go into safe mode and delete all the Webroot related files and folders if WSA is Uninstalled. https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Complete/Installation-Folder-and-File-Locations/ta-p/3766

C:Program FilesWebrootWRSA.exe and WRDataPKGVistax86 & Vistax64
or C:Program Files (x86)WebrootWRSA.exe and WRDataPKGVistax86 & Vistax64 - This loads both as a system service and as a user service. That's why you typically see two of them if you open task manager. This is also your user interface. Also in the WRData Folder is for the Web Filter.

C:WindowsSystem32WRusr.dllor C:WindowsSysWow64WRusr.dll- This loads for user mode analysis.  It's responsible for WRSA running as a user mode service.  WRSA will be loaded equally propotionately to the number of user profiles that are loaded because of this file.

C:WindowsSystem32DriversWRKrn.sys- This is the driver that does all the file filtering, system monitoring, etc.

C:Program Files (x86)Common Fileswruninstall.exeor C:Program FilesCommon Fileswruninstall.exe- Part of the password manager.

C:Program Files (x86)Common FilesWebroot
or C:Program FilesCommon FilesWebroot
- Web Filter

XP:  C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataWRDataVista to Win 10:  C:ProgramDataWRData- All of the program data is stored here and is shared among all users.

If you have Internet Security Plus or Complete:XP: C:Documents and Settings*User Account Name*Application DataLocalLowlastpassVista to Win 10: C:Users*User Account Name*AppDataLocalLowlastpass- Language files

If you have Internet Security Plus or Complete:XP: C:Documents and Settings*User Account Name*Application DataLocalLowWebrootVista to Win 10: C:Users*User Account Name*AppDataLocalLowWebroot- Language files
Userlevel 6
The way I would go about removing a security product / antivirus is as follows : 

first of all get a good third party uninstaller like revo uninstaller , geek uninstaller or iobit uninstaller. one of these tools will uninstall the product for you and scan afterwards for leftover drivers , regkeys and folders that normal uninstall will leave behind. when you finished this step it is recommended to reboot your pc / laptop open your computer / c-drive and make sure that " show hidden folders option " is ticked so you can search these folders for leftovers : programdata / program files / users / appdata. and remove everything webroot related. now use void tools search everything. with this tool you can search folders by name / prefetch files and so on , delete everything associated with webroot. now use autoruns and check if there are any webroot services are running and terminate / delete them. the last thing you can do ( be carefull this is for ADVANCED users only ) open up the regedit command and search trough : hkey current user , hkey local machine and hkey users. now you should be good to go! most problems accur with leftover drivers running after uninstalling an older security product. it keeps interfering with the new product you want to install. but the best advice is having a reliable backup solution like macrium reflect free or aomei backupper free to make a " clean " backup image of your a partitions , in case something gets messed up , you can reverse all unwanted changes to a clean state.....
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ Good idea but in most cases if my instrutions don't work it 's best to let users with issues to Contact Webroot Support and they will remove WSA free of charge. Webroot SecureAnywhere Support