Knowledge Base

How to Run WSA alongside Windows Defender on Windows 8, Windows 8.1 Only, not Windows 10!

• 25 January 2013
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 7
  • Retired Webrooter
  • 1581 replies

This information has been verified as accurate on March 2nd, 2020, by APruneau.

Question

How do you run WSA alongside Windows Defender on Windows 8, 8.1 as Windows Defender is a Full AV.

Answer

You have to make a change to the registry so if your not able to do this, please make sure a Windows Expert does the change!

"Also Webroot is not in any way responsible or liable if anyone makes changes to the Registry."

Windows Defender Tweak if users want to run with WSA on Windows 8, Windows 8.1.

Windows 8 and 8.1 detects other AVs in the Action Center and blocks Defender from becoming active.

You can create a value of type DWORD named HideActionCenter (under HKLMSoftwareWRData on 32bit or for 64bit HKLMSoftwareWow6432NodeWRData) set to '1' and reboot and it will prevent Webroot from adding into the Action Center to allow Defender to stay active.

Note: This registry tweak will not work on Windows 10!

This topic has been closed for comments

11 replies

My webroot advanced settings page doen't include a windows action center space.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hi @ things have changed since this was posted. I don't know if you know how to make Registry changes or not but if you want to run both here is how to:

Windows Defender Tweak if users want to run with WSA on Windows 8 & Windows 8.1

Windows 8.1 detects other AVs in the Action Center and blocks Defender from becoming active.

You can create a value of type DWORD named HideActionCenter (under HKLMSoftwareWRData on 32bit or for 64bit HKLMSoftwareWow6432NodeWRData) set to '1' and reboot and it will prevent Webroot from adding into the Action Center to allow Defender to stay active.

But IMO WSA is much more than you will ever need please see this short video if WSA misses something: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-Education/What-Happens-if-Webroot-quot-Misses-quot-a-Virus/ta-p/10202 and all the work is done on the WIN Cloud and not your PC: http://www.brightcloud.com/platform/webroot-intelligence-network.php

HTH,

Daniel ;)

Userlevel 5
Badge +1
This seems to be a great solution for thjose of us who used WRSA together with MSE on Windows 7 and have since had to try and decide on their Windows 10 PCs whether WRSA or WD now gets the single choice of being the only AV software installed.

Unlike Malwarebytes Pro which can run alongside WD on 10, WRSA cannot, because it gets registered as the replacement for WD. My query is, when this registry fix is used and WD and WRSA can be used together, does WRSA still recognise that WD is the primary AV as it does on Windws 7, and gives priority of decisions to WD? Or instead, does WRSA no longer recognise WD on Wind 10 and instead will wrestle alongside WD trying to neutralise the malware in competion to WD?

Thanks,
Cavehomme
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
In recent weeks this workaround has stopped working and WRSA becomes the registered antivirus on Windows 10. I've tried tweaking  one or two things but no success. Has anyone tried and been successful with the latest version of Windows 10?

It would be ideal if WRSA could have an option at installation whether to be the main AV to replace Windows Defender 10 or alternatively to be an extra layer to run on top of Windows Defender 10. I really miss the ability to have WRSA working with Microsoft Security essentials in Windows 7. For comparison, whenever I run Malwarebytes Pro version in realtime is runs alongside Windows Defender and does not register in the Action Centre as the antivirus and to many people WRSA is the equivalent second layer of protection.

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
? have you tried this on Win 10? I haven't tried it and was wondering.

?
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
Hi TripleHelix, yes I tried that option. It's only partially useful in that it allows WD to run a periodic scheduled scan (schedule determined by Windows not the user) whilst running another AV solution. It certainly does not run in realtime but it even does not allow manual scans of individual files or folders through the WD interface nor right clicking under Explorer, so it can't really be even classed as a second-opinion scanner unfortunately.

By the way, I've raised this as a feature request and I hope that a few people will vote for it, thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Maybe the Registry modification needs to be updated as Joe gave us that addition for it to work on Windows 8 and 8.1

"Windows Defender Tweak if users want to run with WSA on Windows 8 & Windows 8.1

Windows 8.1 detects other AVs in the Action Center and blocks Defender from becoming active.

You can create a value of type DWORD named HideActionCenter (under HKLMSoftwareWRData on 32bit or for 64bit HKLMSoftwareWow6432NodeWRData) set to '1' and reboot and it will prevent Webroot from adding into the Action Center to allow Defender to stay active."
Hi,

I use windows 8.1 and need windows defender to at least update its virus library because when I try to log into my company's VPN it finds WD as well as Webroot, and says WD is out of date.  I am perfectly happy to not use WD at all, but my company people tell me their VPS log in will always find WD and it needs to be up to date. So I did the registry mod, and it appears correct. I have in HKey_Local_MachineSoftwareWow6432NodeWRData a new DWORD named HideActionCenter set to 1. But in the Action Center it just says WebrootSecureAnywhere is just turned off, and WD says there is still another antivirus.  Though Webroot itself says it is active and I'm protected.

Do I have to completely disable or uninstall webroot in order to get WD to update itself?

Thanks!
What  I'm reading is that if my PC is running Windows 10, Windows Defender is primary AV and Webroot Secure Anywhere (WSA) just sits on top and doesn't do anything, unless you modify the registry, or the have the "Limited Periodic Scanning" option.  I don't.  So, excuse my inexperience, but what good is WSA doing on my PC?  Also I noticed the green webroot "safe site" star stopped showing up.
Userlevel 7
Well, murraymg1

If you PC is running Windows 10 and you have WRSA installed then it is up to you as to whether you have both active or not. WRSA does not "just sits on top and doesn't do anything"...it is fully working, but being designed to be compliant/work with other major AM application, it does not just jump in and take over but rather watches over the the other installed AM and picks up anything that it misses...so one does not get conflict from having more than one AM application installed.

As to "what good is WSA doing on my PC"? Well, I have explained what good it does if you are running it with another AM application, i.e., it makes up for any deficiencies with that AM's protection. Having said that IMHO WRSA is much more effective that Windows Defender and therefore there is no need to run both...just disable Windows Defender and 'issue' solved...you won't be asking yourself what is the point of running both and you will be better protected by WRSA alone than Windows Defender alone.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
You can't run both on Windows 10 unlike Windows 8 and 8.1

I made changes to the topic to make it more clear as you can't run both on Windows 10 even with the registry tweak.