Solved

How to Use Overrides

• 24 February 2014
  • 1 reply

I'm a home user, and my wireless printer (nearly 4 years old) recently stopped allowing me to print PDF files. When I run the diagnostic, the printer tells me that my firewall is blocking two essential .exe files.
Can someone tell me how to instruct Webroot to allow these files? Is there something else I'm overlooking? I need to be able to download PDFs and print them from the Web, and I'm flailing around trying to solve this problem.

icon

Best answer by Baldrick 26 February 2014, 16:23

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Hi DPennington

Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums...:D

Assuming that you are not using Win8 or above then you should do the following to check if WSA Firewall is blocking something:

1. From the main application panel click on the gear/cog symbol to the right of the PC Security tab.
2. In the panel that opens you should see to the right hand section on the Firewall and at the bottom of this you should see a button marked 'View active connections'.
3. Click on that and in the panel displayed look at the top window labelled 'Process'.  If you run down the list check for reference to either or both of the .exes you are interested in.
4. If you find entries check to see if they are (on the righthand side of the window) marked as 'Allow' or 'Block'.
5. If marked as 'Block' and you are sure that they are safe then click in each case on 'Allow' so as to indicate to the Firewall that they can pass.

Note: if using Win8 or above the options to 'Allow'/'Block' are not visible due to the way that MS has locked down 3rd party security app providers who use the Windows Firewall, as Webroot does.

If you do not find then referenced there then you should look under the 'Block/Allow Files' Tab (back in the panel where you saw the Firewall information) and check the list of applications to see if the two that your are interested in are referenced.  If they are check again for a Block' setting but in this case you have an extra setting apart from 'Allow', i.e., 'Monitor', and if yo are not sure about the goodliness of the .exes then I would recommend that you change them to 'Monitor' status.  You can always change it to 'Allow' later if you discover the process as safe but whilst at 'Monitor' WSA logs all their activities and has the ability to roll back anything they have done...should they be determined to be nasties.

Apologies for the long response.  Hopefully that helps?  Give the above a try and post back either way,; if your issue is resolved or if not; and in the latter case we will have to try to help another way.

Regards

Baldrick