Huge problem and I think it is with Webroot

I did not use my laptop in several months.  In the mean time I renewed my webroot subscription.  I opened my laptop for the first time, used doing nothing but looking at facebook and there were updates running in the background.
Next thing I know there is a message that looks like it if from Webroot that some WOW someting in system32 is trying to access the internet every time I start my computer and if I don't recognize it it is going to be blociked.  I had no idea what it was talking about - firefox had a "do you want to update to our new look" and that was the only thing I'd clicked on..... 
Now, I can't access the internet, and Webroot doesn't work.  The rest of the computer works, but, I can't access the internet and the security program is not working.

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello and Welcome to the Webroot Community!

Can you please do a clean reinstall of Webroot SecureAnywhere!

Please follow the steps closely!

• Make sure you have a copy of your 20 Character Alphanumeric Keycode! Example: SA69-AAAA-A783-DE78-XXXX
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Subscription PC users click HERE) Let us know if it is the Mac version you need.
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode and do NOT import any settings if offered by the installer as you can set it up as you like once it's done
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again
Please let us know if that resolves your issue? If not then Please Submit a Support Ticket and they will help you sort your issue!

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
That is the problem - I can no longer connect to the internet.  Webroot blocked internet access and then shut down - permanently.  When I opened the oomputer the first thing I did not do was tell the Webroot program that I had renewed the subscription evicently.  So, it but off my internet access and then it quit running.  I can uninstall it, but, it took out my internet access before it turned itself off. 
If I have to do a fresh install of the entire laptop because of Webroot - I am not happy.  It was definitely a message from Webroot that came up beore it shut down internet access.  The computer is still connected to the internet - I just can not access it becuse it blocked something critical in System 32.  And, I don't know what now, because the program turned itself off.

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
If you can't Submit a Support ticket then please give support a call in your area: http://www.webroot.com/us/en/support/contact

In the US you can call:
Call 1-866-612-4227
M-F 7am?6pm MT

And I didn't say to reinstall Windows just to do a clean reinstall of Webroot SecureAnywhere but since you can't then please call Webroot Technical Support as they can help you much easier than we can on the Community.

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
I as afraid that this was too big of a community problem.  It is definitely a Webroot problem though.  I have enjoyed this program.  It stays in the background, does not normally cause problems, but, this is a huge problem.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Well IMO it's not Webroot SecureAnywhere but it could be user error by blocking something that should of ran so call support and they will help you and they are the best around.

Thanks,

Daniel
No, the message came up via Webroot that if I did not recognize the program that was attempting to access the internet everytime the computer was restarted it was going to block it in 90 seconds or something.  The phone rang and I did not have time to deal with it.  Then it blocked it and then webroot did not work.  Webroot took out my internet access.  I contacted tech support for Webroot and they said to uninstall Webroot and then reinstall it.  Ca not reinstall because you have to enter the keycode and to verify the keycode there has to be an internet connection - Webroot took that out by blocking a probgram in system 32 so there is none.  
At least I can back up my data on the laptop before I do a fresh install because it is just the internet connectivity it took out with its "block".  But I still have to then do a complete fresh install thanks to Webroot.  This stinks and I'm not happy.  If I were super swave with "Windows 8" - and had a lot of time - I could maybe figure out what Webroot blocked and put it back somehow.  It was in system32, WOW and it had to do with connecting to the internet.  It was critical for internet connection. 
Userlevel 7
Hi CAinCA

Just a thought but if indeed WSA is blocking your internet connection then, if you have not yet uninstalled WSA, surely uninstalling it will release the 'block' that was initiated because of the fact that you did not allow the connection when prompted (due to being distracted by the phone).

If you try an uninstall, and your connection does not come back then you loose nothing, but if it does you will then be able to reinstall WSA as Daniel & Support have recommended.

Is there a flaw in my logic?

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
At least I can back up my data on the laptop before I do a fresh install because it is just the internet connectivity it took out with its "block".  But I still have to then do a complete fresh install thanks to Webroot.  This stinks and I'm not happy.  If I were super swave with "Windows 8" - and had a lot of time - I could maybe figure out what Webroot blocked and put it back somehow.  It was in system32, WOW and it had to do with connecting to the internet.  It was critical for internet connection. 
Lets get one thing straight! You let WSA block something from system32 and you lost your Internet connection as WSA would not block anything unless you allowed WSA to block it because in it's default settings is always allow so don't go blaming Webroot for an action you let happen and you should keep in contact with support as we can't do anything on the Community! There is one thing you can do to remove WSA is go into safe mode and delete all these Webroot files then boot back in to normal mode and re-install WSA again: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Complete/Installation-Folder-and-File-Locations/ta-p/3766

Please let us know how it goes!

Thanks,

Daniel
I think I'm going to have to do a fresh install.  I don't use this laptop that much and I don't like Wiindows8 at all - if it was Windows7 I could probably fix it.  Their tech support via email is not helpful.  This program should not be blocking parts of the operating system - I've never seen one block a part of the operating system before - this is nuts.  I run webroot on Windows7 on the big computer and do not have any issues with it what so ever.  If this is the way it behaves on Windows8 - it is not helpful to me at all and is maybe something that I don't want on the computer.  I don't need to be doing a fresh install everytime I go to use it which is normally for travel only.  The tech support via their email is not good.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
TripleHelix wrote:
Lets get one thing straight! You let WSA block something from system32 and you lost your Internet connection as WSA would not block anything unless you allowed WSA to block it because in it's default settings is always allow so don't go blaming Webroot for an action you let happen 
Daniel
The answer to the issue is obvious, and has been explained to you several times...it is not the fault of the software per se.
Please do an uninstall/reinstall as TripleHelix advised in post #2...it's really easy and fast with SecureAnywhere, and then, if prompted by Webroot do not choose to block any System32 file and then reboot and see if all is well.   
If there are still problems, then get back to us or follow the advice of Support. Thanks.
I have no clue about the operating system of the computer.  If the message comes up "do you recognize this program we think it is a hazzard - click block or we are going to let this through." - yes, I'm going to click block - especially if the phone is ringing and I don't have time to pay attention to it.  Webroot should never, ever, be bringning up messages that block your operating system - ever.  Lets get that straight.  Second, their tech support via "online" is very bad.  Tehy tell you to uninstall webroot after you tell them that Webroot has blocked your internet access.  I did that.  The internet access did not return although my computer is still hardware connected to the interent.  I can not reinstall webroot because the access was blocked by Webroot.  EVerything that their techincal support has told me to do since - requires internet by the computer even though I have told them - I don't have it, and then they told me to use the program that they told me to delete.  Their online technical support is horrible.  I can put up the "transcript" if you like and you can see for yourself how bad it is.  Don't defend them - they are pretty horrible - at least in this instance.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
If you could do a clean reinstall or remove the WSA files in safe mode that will remove the block! Then install WSA and be careful of what you block in the future it's very simple. All default settings are auto allow so don't block anything even if WSA ask if you want to block things you don't know as you are still protected by WSA's Anti-Malware Engine even if you allowed something bad. But if you get a RED Pop-up window of malware infection then let WSA do a cleanup scan as that's all you have to do. It's the same with any AV and WSA is the best at install and forget but sometimes a driver will update then you will get a pop-up to allow or block but just allow as it's a firewall warning.

Thanks,

Daniel

?
At this point, to get the internet working again - I have to do a clean install of windows, which is going to remove everything.  Take it down and start over.  I really had no clue that a program like Webroot could do this to your system - this is just as bad as a virus - same damage basically, except the files are not infected - it was just a machine sabatage done by the software.  Now I know.  Thanks for the advice.  never again will I pay any attention at all to their pop up messages of "do you recognize this program - we think it is malware"...............
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
? all you had to do was uninstall WSA and or remove the WSA files in safe mode then reboot back into normal mode then go to device manager and uninstall your Wireless network adaptor then reboot then it would of installed the Driver cleanly again Automatically! You are making things sound worse than it really is and your the one that blocked something from your Wireless Adaptor!

Daniel :@