Solved

I cant uninstall Webroot!

• 6 February 2013
  • 5 replies

Im trying to re-install webroot since im planning on buying from the sale that is going on, but I cannot uninstall my older version of it since I have forgotten my email and password from when I installd it a year ago. Is there anyone that knows how to get rid of the older version? 
icon

Best answer by JimM 7 February 2013, 17:47

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
You are not prompted for an email address and password when uninstalling the 2012 version of Webroot SecureAnywhere, which is the version you have indicated you have.  You also don't need to uninstall WSA to enter a new keycode you would be purchasing.

To enter a new keycode, open WSA, go to My Account, and click Activate a New Keycode.  Enter the new keycode, and you're all set.

If what you actually have installed is the 2010 or 2011 version of Webroot, do this:
1.  Follow the correct steps for your Operating System.

Windows XP:
Click Start, then click Run.  In the Run window, type "appwiz.cpl" (without quotes), then press Enter on your keyboard.

Windows Vista/Windows 7:
Click Start, or the Windows icon.  In the Search field, type "appwiz.cpl" (without quotes), then press Enter on your keyboard.

This will open your Control Panel to the list of all programs currently installed on your computer.

2.  Scroll down the programs list until you see the Webroot security product.

3.  Click the Webroot security product entry once to select it, then click Uninstall/Remove.

4.  Confirm any messages to uninstall the program.

5.  Once the uninstall process has finished, restart your computer.

Here is how to uninstall the 2012 version if you would still like instructions on how to do that:
1.  Open your Start menu.
2.  Click Programs or All Programs, then navigate to the Webroot SecureAnywhere folder.
3.  Under Webroot SecureAnywhere, open the Tools folder, then click Uninstall Webroot.
4.  Click Yes and follow any prompts that appear.

If you enabled Password Protection on your installed copy of WSA, you may be prompted for a password when trying to uninstall.  This would not also prompt you for an email address, as you have indicated, so it is unlikely that is the situation we are dealing with.

If this information is unhelpful to you, please reply back with the version of Webroot you have installed, so we can get a clear picture of how best to assist you.  In most versions, the version number is located in a My Account section, accessible from the main screen.  If you cannot find the version number, please describe the tray icon - it's probably going to be a Green W, a Purple Keyhole, or a Yellow Radar.
Ok, my account number is 8.0.2.96 with the green W in a green circle icon. I had put a password on my copy, so it asks me to enter the password when I go to uninstall it. I was just wondering if webroot had my email posted in the application itself so that I could find it and change the password. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Ok, my account number is 8.0.2.96 with the green W in a green circle icon. I had put a password on my copy, so it asks me to enter the password when I go to uninstall it. I was just wondering if webroot had my email posted in the application itself so that I could find it and change the password. 
Ok you have the current 2013 release version 8.0.2.96 you have to remember your password as the application itself does not require an email. Jim should be online soon to see if there's another way to uninstall without a password then you could reinstall and choose a new password and write it down and put it in a safe place where you can remember where it is.

TH
Userlevel 7
TripleHelix is correct - you need to remember the password you created.  The feature is working exactly as designed - to prohibit uninstallation by people who don't know the password.

It's possible Support might have a workaround for you, but such a workaround would need to come from Support specifically.  Please open a support case, and they may be able to assist you.
ok, that information will end my frustration. Ive entered every password i know, but they have all failed. thank you guys so much for the quick help. it has been much appricated!