I got a renewal offer through Best Buy

• 11 January 2015
  • 16 replies

HI,
When a renewal offer just pops up is it legit? And if I do renew online, how is it installed? I bought this at Best Buy, so I thought I would have to go back there, but this looks really easy (if it's not a virus!).

Thanks for any advice!

16 replies

Try Amazon. Great deals there for 3 PC license.
Userlevel 7
Hi meas

Welcome to the Community Forums.

OK, lets decompose your questions and see if we can answer them for you.

1. When a renewal offer just pops up is it legit?

That is a difficult one to give a specific answer to as it depends on the popup.  If the popup looks like it is generated by the app for which the renewal offer is for then ...yes, legit.  Otherwise treat it with suspicion; if it offers links to the offers hover over the links and see if you can see the raw url, and therefore check where the link is going to send you...if the url looks suspicious then steer well clear.

2. And if I do renew online, how is it installed?

If renewing then all you should be doing is adding days to your keycode subscription so there will be nothing to install per se.  ONce you have paid then the back office systems should update and then push the updated subscription information to your local app so that you see the change in subscription (usually happens with the daily scan.

Do not make the mistake that some make in purchasing a new keycode and thingh that this is a renewal...it is not...it is a new subscription.

3. I bought this at Best Buy, so I thought I would have to go back there, but this looks really easy (if it's not a virus!).

If you bought the Best Buy version (it is different to that one buys from Webroot or other retailers) originally then you can only truly renew your keycode by gettting your renewal, as described above, through Best Buy.

If you have not done so yo have purchased a version of WSA from someone other than Best Buy then to use it you will need to uninstall the Best Buy version, reboot, and then install the non Best Buy version.

Hope that helps in some way to clarify things.  Perhaps @ our Best Buy guru would be kind enough to chip in if anything I have stated above is incorrect or if I have missed anything important?

Regards, Baldrick

Userlevel 7
I think Baldrick has covered it quite well.  The Best Buy version DOES produce a pop up 30 days before the renewal is due.  You can click on the pop up to be brought to Best Buy's account page, or you can call them at 1800-GEEK-SQUAD to arrange the renewal via phone.

As for a cheap deal on Amazon, that is HIGHLY DISCOURAGED.  I cannot emphasize this enough, it is VERY STRONGLY advised you do not purchse from a private seller on Amazon.  I have seen quite a few invalid or expired key codes being sold that way.

Userlevel 7
Hi David, many thanks for the pickup...as always, much obliged to get the expert view.

Cheers, Baldrick
@ wrote:
I think Baldrick has covered it quite well.  The Best Buy version DOES produce a pop up 30 days before the renewal is due.  You can click on the pop up to be brought to Best Buy's account page, or you can call them at 1800-GEEK-SQUAD to arrange the renewal via phone.

As for a cheap deal on Amazon, that is HIGHLY DISCOURAGED.  I cannot emphasize this enough, it is VERY STRONGLY advised you do not purchse from a private seller on Amazon.  I have seen quite a few invalid or expired key codes being sold that way.

This is absolute nonsense.

I did not say buy from a "Private Seller" I said buy from Amazon.

That is where I purchased my license and it was very cheap and a very good deal.

If it says "Sold by Amazon Digital Services, Inc." it is from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FZ0FETC/ref=oh_aui_d_detailpage_o00_?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
@ wrote:

This is absolute nonsense.

I did not say buy from a "Private Seller" I said buy from Amazon.

That is where I purchased my license and it was very cheap and a very good deal.

If it says "Sold by Amazon Digital Services, Inc." it is from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FZ0FETC/ref=oh_aui_d_detailpage_o00_?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Excuse me it is not nonsense we have seen it via a third party on Amazon the one you posted is Direct from Amazon so there is a difference! Newegg.com have good deals and are legit and I would stay away from ebay for any software as you will get burnt so please stop giving bad advice.

Thanks,

Daniel
You just agreed with me.

I said to buy from Amazon and then linked a direct link to purchase FROM Amazon.  Obviously I know the difference as I have stated it in the post that you quoted.  Also, that is the reason I linked a direct from Amazon purchase.

Saving money on a purchase from a reputable and legitimate source is not bad advice.
Userlevel 7
It is not nonsense... I spent 3 years working at the Subject Expert for the Best Buy Subscription Services program.  I stated purchsing from a third party seller on Amazon is an extreme risk and I meant what I said.  I know, I have seen it, I have dealt with it, and I have had to tell customers who were scammed by this that there is nothing anyone can do other than request refund from the seller.

:Your initial reference to Amazon did not say directly from Amazon Digital, it said simply Amazon.  That is a recipe for disaster when you fail to be specific.
That's great that you worked for Best Buy.

I will re-iterate what I said earlier.  Buy from Amazon.  Since that was too vague for you guys and you need absolute specifics, I linked the direct from Amazon purchase and mentioned the "Amazon Digital Services, Inc"

I don't think I can be much more specific than that.  The fact that you require more specificity is telling.  ;)
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
You just agreed with me.

I said to buy from Amazon and then linked a direct link to purchase FROM Amazon.  Obviously I know the difference as I have stated it in the post that you quoted.  Also, that is the reason I linked a direct from Amazon purchase.

Saving money on a purchase from a reputable and legitimate source is not bad advice.
Well to the OP you didn't say then David did so no need to argue right, you get my point?

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
That's great that you worked for Best Buy.

I will re-iterate what I said earlier.  Buy from Amazon.  Since that was too vague for you guys and you need absolute specifics, I linked the direct from Amazon purchase and mentioned the "Amazon Digital Services, Inc"

I don't think I can be much more specific than that.  The fact that you require more specificity is telling.  ;)

Where is your link to the OP and the warning about Third Parties? https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/I-got-a-renewal-offer-through-Best-Buy/m-p/181330#M12164

Daniel
Actually, your buddy David simply said:

As for a cheap deal on Amazon, that is HIGHLY DISCOURAGED. I cannot emphasize this enough, it is VERY STRONGLY advised you do not purchse from a private seller on Amazon. I have seen quite a few invalid or expired key codes being sold that way.
So, he wasn't really all too specific either, was he? 😉
Userlevel 7
On second thought, this reply was not in good standing with the Community Guidelines and so I am removing it.

I will not hesitate to provide proper guidance and suggestions when I see incorrect advice given however.

@ wrote:

You did NOT say anything about Amazon Digital in your first remark regarding purchase from Amazon, you simply said Amazon.

Providing unspecific advice such as that has indeed caused many consumers to purchase from a third party seller on Amazon and end up with a useless worthless product that has already expired.

You need to be much more careful in your comments and suggestions and make sure you have been properly specific.

When we try to nicely give some guidance and suggestions, you provide arugment.  That is counter-productive.

I was VERY specific in my reply... I noted THIRD PARTY SELLERS on Amazon.  That was quite specific and to the point.  It would do you some good to read comments before deciding to argue against them.
ROFL!

It stops here! TH

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Why are you in Hidden mode do you have something to hide or just being a TROLL?

Nope.  Not trolling.  But I need to head out now so I'll leave you with this.

Good advice:  Dont' buy from third party sellers on Amazon.  I agree here - I never said I didn't agree with this.
Good Advice:  Buy directly from Amazon (Amazon Digital Services, Inc) and Newegg

Have a nice night fellas!