I have a file on my system that say catroot is it a virus

• 14 September 2014
  • 3 replies

I have a file on my computer that says catroot and there is nothing in it but wierd numbers and letters could this be a virus and if so how do I get rid of it because my webroot scan says my computer is clean

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
I have a file on my computer that says catroot and there is nothing in it but wierd numbers and letters could this be a virus and if so how do I get rid of it because my webroot scan says my computer is clean
Hi totallsmaz,

Welcome to the Community Forum! Great to have you here!:D

Can you tell me the exact name of this Folder or File. Is it catroot2 or in C:Windowssystem32CatRoot2?

If so this is an important folder with Windows Updates which aren't harmful! Windows update folder will have letters and numbers in it!

Please let us know if this is the folderfile that you are looking at! EDIT: TripleHelix or Baldrick can you give us more information here?

Best Regards,
Userlevel 7
Whether catroot or catroot2 both folders should be treated with care as removal can make one's system unbootable...so extreme care is required here.

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Hi Anthony

Thanks but I think this one is best left to the Support Team give what some will say about this and what other will counter with...we need professional advice on this one to make sure that the OP is suitably guided.

Hi totallsmaz

Please Open a Support Ticket  so that the Support Team can review and advise as to the best course of action.

Regards, Baldrick