I need help in understading identity shield

• 26 February 2019
  • 39 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +22
To understand my question a lot of info must be provided. Sorry. The questions can be boiled down to.

(1) Why does ID shield not protect IE11?

(2) How can I even prove ID shield is even running (no lock)? :D

(3) Is ID shield useful? (So many visible issues has me wondering about invisible issues. Of course, the issues I see may simply be my lack of knowlege.)

Links to GOOD posts, articles, or your information is welcome.

My trying to learn more about ID shield came about because running Firefox in a sandbox (Sandboxie) while Webroot was running caused two issues. (1) A second instance of Firefox could not be started and (2) after closing Firefox, it could not be restarted without terminating all programs in the sandbox.

Webroot support solution: This is expected behavior for an application that is being protected by Webroot Identity Shield.

The solution means that Identity Shield is not protecting IE11 as neither expected behavior is manifested when running IE11 in a sandbox. So, I am trying to learn more but the posts are ancient. Many of the posts talk about the "lock" icon which is never visible on the Webroot icon in the notification area even though the use of Firefox suggests it is working. That includes running IE11 & Firefox outside a sandbox.

All software is current, registered, and paid subscriptions

Windows 10 pro (64-bit)

Sandboxie 5.28 (64-bit)

Internet Explorer 11 version 11.316.17763.0 (I think i am running 32-bit based on MS suggestions)

Firefox 65.0.1 (64-bit)

Webroot SecureAnywhere Antivirus version 9.0.24.49

This topic has been closed for comments

39 replies

FWIW ~ here's three Firefox calls sandbox'd

and here's Firefox and Internet Explorer calls sandbox'd

I C padlock on Webroot tray Icon when page is foreground window.

https://docs.webroot.com/us/en/home/wsa_pc_userguide/wsa_pc_userguide.htm#UsingIdentityProtection/ManagingIdentityProtection.htm
--
https://docs.webroot.com/us/en/home/wsa_pc_userguide/wsa_pc_userguide.htm#UsingIdentityProtection/ManagingProtectedApplications.htm

YMMV
Userlevel 7
Badge +28
I can't give you any exact answers, but I'll take a stab at it.

1) IE is a dead browser and I doubt Webroot wants to code a third version of the ID Shield for something that is so dead that Microsoft even has a campaign to get people off it. Other browsers like Chrome, Safari, and the new Edge Microsoft is going to release, run on Chromium. Firefox has it's own browser engine, so Webroot can code for Firefox and Chrome. This probably makes it fairly easy to port the Chrome version over to Safari and I think even Opera and then Edge once Microsoft gets it launched. I doubt they are going to spend time on a browser that was retired before they released ID Shield.

2) Not sure, sorry!

3) I tried it when it came out and had a lot of problems. Not all were Webroots fault. It was installed as an add-on in whatever version of Firefox was current then, but on both low and high powered Windows XP PCs. The add-on destroyed my users ability to function on the web because it bogged down the browser using a ton of memory. The only fix, was to uninstall it. How it's improved or how it would do on a newer OS, I don't know. I have a feeling it's still an add-on that will bloat the browser. I find browsers these days take up 2.5 - 5 MB of RAM and I use both Firefox and Chrome. I try to keep them as bloatware free as possible.

I know that's not a lot to go off of, but I hope it helps.

Good Luck!
Userlevel 7
Badge +28
Not surprising, but apparently @bjm_ knows more about this than me.
From my understanding, it is very important to use Identity Shield when you are handling sensitive personal information (personal details, passwords, banking transactions, internet purchases etc) through an internet browser as it is an essential (and strong) component in Webroot's protecting you from phishing, keylogger attacks etc. Also the yellow lock superimposed over the Webroot icon in the Notification Area (right hand area of Taskbar—see BJM's screen capture) should definitely show when a supported browser is in the foreground. If it doesn't, you should contact Support.

More than that I would be afraid to say as my knowledge in this area is somewhat meagre and may be faulty/incomplete (for example, I use Firefox all the time and I know that Identity Shield is both supported by Firefox and as solid as a rock with this browser but I'm not so sure of the latest situation with Internet Explorer, for example). Perhaps someone like @TripleHelix or a Webroot employee (@LLiddell?) might chime in here?

It's also true that an up-to-date KnowledgeBase article on this would come in most handy (I can't find a recent one either with a quick Google search).
Userlevel 5
Badge +22
bjm,
Two changes allow me to FINALLY see the lock.
1. Moving the Webroot icon in the notification area to the row on the taskbar. (Tried because of the image you posted.)
2. Expanding the notification area and THEN Alt+Tab to select IE11 or Firefox.

They work because expanding the notification area makes it the foreground application. :P

Your image of the three Firefox windows is interesting. Are you running a 32-bit FIrefox? Webroot support confirms the only way that can be done is to turn off Identity Shield.

When Firefox is started the sandbox looks the same as yours. Here is what it looks like when Firefox is executed a second time. (It never opens.)

After closing Firefox. (It stays the way regardless of how many times I try to open Firefox again.)

Terminating programs allows Firefox to be reopened. I am going to live with this rather than disabling Identity Shield for Firefox.
Userlevel 5
Badge +22
NicCrockett,

Apparently ID shield does work in IE11 as the lock does appear. My thinking it was not working was based on Webroot support stating that an application protected by ID Shield had to have the programs terminated in the sandbox before starting again. Since IE11 didn't require that I *assumed* it was not protected. Plus, no lock... :P

Being a minimalist, when possible, I used IE11. However, as you state, it is a dying app. I liked some of the features of EDGE but it proved unusable on too many websites along with other perceived issues.

Chrome is banned from any computer of mine. It was once accidenatlly installed while updating ?Adobe? (also banned). It was immediately uninstalled. Links no longer opened IE. Too MANY hours over three months was spent researching how to fix (without reformatting) and then actually fixing as many of hundreds of broken registry entries as possible. Not all could be repaired. Add to that one three-month-long-nightmare that I don't trust Google and we get ...

Opera has always been good but I am trying to use Firefox. Like you, I don't use addons unless absolutely necessary which has almost always been never.

PS. understading must be understanding spoken with a Texas drawl... 😃
Userlevel 5
Badge +22
Muddy7,

I agree with you and will simply live with the "must terminate programs in the Sandbox" issue to increase my security. The problem will be getting my wife to Firefox because of the extra work to restart and the inability to start a second instance. (A second window can be created by creating a new tab and dragging it off of the curent window.

Most of my research lead to 3+ year old notes. The most recent thread on my specific issue was reported about one year ago and the post was closed seemingly stating the issue was resolved in 5.28. What it really stated was that all BETA issues were resolved not the "real" issues
Userlevel 5
Badge +22
Thanks all.
Hi @ExpertNovice

Apparently ID shield does work in IE11 as the lock does appear.
Great news!

I thought that IE was still supported for the Identity Shield but your and @NicCrockett's posts, plus the apparent lack of any but old and dated Webroot information, sowed a little seed of doubt in my mind. Normally, in the Windows environment, I understand that Firefox, Chrome and IE are officially supported browsers.

(Not quite sure about Edge. I believe that instead of the Web Filter Browser Extension they use a Web Filter Driver but that may have changed more recently with Edge finally approving a Webroot Browser Extension?? However regarding Identity Shield with Edge, I just don't know ☹️. But I'm sure @TripleHelix or @LLiddell could enlighten us on this.)

Also, as Chrome is Chromium based, I believe you can manually add any other Chromium based browser to the Application Protection list (see below for more info). I'm not sure about other kinds of browsers.

Sometimes, I find that the yellow padlock can momentarily disappear, but most times Alt-Tabbing away from the browser in question and then Alt-Tabbing back seems to do the trick so that the padlock becomes visible again.

Also, when I was referring to the "Notification Area", I was not referring to the pop-up box for hidden icons when you click the vertical arrow which is to the left of the right-hand portion of the Taskbar but rather to all the right-hand part of the Taskbar: this is what I, rightly or wrongly, call the "Notification Area". I always keep the Webroot icon in this visible area so I can see what is going on.

Finally, to check if any of your browsers is protected by Identity Shield:
  • right-click the Webroot icon in the "Notification Area"
  • click View Status in the Context Menu that now appears
  • click on the cogwheel to the right of Identity Protection (Identity Protection is in the right sidebar of the Webroot GUI)
  • click Application Protection in the tabs at the top of the new Webroot GUI page
  • see if your browser appears in the list, and if Protect is selected in the radio buttons for that browser
  • If so, your browser is protected!!
  • you will now just need to make sure you always keep your Webroot icon visible in the "Notification Area" so whenever you are handling sensitive data (passwords, personal info etc.) or are performing sensitive operations (banking operations, internet purchases etc etc), you can check to see if the yellow padlock appears over the Webroot icon, just to reassure you that all is OK!
Hope that helps.
ExpertNovice wrote: Your image of the three Firefox windows is interesting. Are you running a 32-bit FIrefox? Webroot support confirms the only way that can be done is to turn off Identity Shield.

ExpertNovice wrote: When Firefox is started the sandbox looks the same as yours. Here is what it looks like when Firefox is executed a second time. (It never opens.)

Um, what shortcut are you using for second Firefox call.

We can discuss Sandboxie in private. Send PM, if you want.
Regards
Userlevel 5
Badge +22
Muddy7,

Microsoft is great about teaching us the correct terminology they want us to use. :P

As I understand their terminology, Quick Actions are diplayed in the System Tray which is part of the Notification Area which is part of the Task Bar. The Quick Actions also provide notifications from some apps such as the Webroot lock icon.

So, I would have understood whether you called it Notification Area, System Tray, or the more technical term "where the icons are on the right side of that long bar assuming the long bar is at the top or bottom of the window". :D

For verification I do prefer some visible proof rather than rely on the settings. For example, according to Webroot support, "The symptoms you are reporting is actually expected behavior with using a browser in Sandboxie and SecureAnywhere." I now assume they mean "most browsers" or "Firefox" rather than "a browser".

Thanks again for your help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +28
On a security side note, based on some previous comments. I'm guessing Chrome was installed when you installed Adobe Flash Player, one of the worst programs in the world due to 100s of security flaws found on a monthly/quarterly basis. Flash also had a tendency to install third party programs that were sometimes bad programs and sometimes good programs, like Chrome. However, their implementation of installation led to many disasters, which based on your comments, turned people off of good programs. Now, I'm no Chrome advocate, in fact I'm not much of a fan. However, it's not a bad browser if installed properly. Personally, I'm with you, I use Firefox on my desktop, laptop, tablet, and phone. They all sync between one another for things like my bookmarks. One thing I can suggest from a security point of view though, is using more than one browser. I use Firefox for the things I know and trust. I use Chrome and Opera if I need to research something that might take me to a site that's unsafe. This separates my online worlds and keeps me more secure. I use IE for a few legacy things I still have to access for work and I use Edge and Safari to test web pages because I'm a web developer.

FYI, Adobe is discontinuing Flash Player sometime in 2020. Thank god and RIP to the devil of security vulnerabilities! 😈
Userlevel 5
Badge +22
bjm,

I am going to send you a PM because Firefox seems to be working for you as I would prefer and expect; assuming you have ID shield enabled for Firefox.

what shortcut are you using for second Firefox call.

At the time you asked I was using the same shortcut used to open FF the first time. (just as is done to opening IE11.) Specifically:
"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"

Based on your question the following shortcuts have been used.
(1) Firefox was the default browser for the first shortcut. All failed to open FF
"C:\Program Files\Sandboxie\Start.exe" default_browser
"C:\Program Files\Sandboxie\Start.exe" "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"
"C:\Program Files\Sandboxie\Start.exe" /box:Firefox "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"
(2) The following shortcut worked! Of course, FF was not sandboxed.... :P
"C:\Program Files\Sandboxie\Start.exe" /dfp "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"

For those with inquiring minds, no, I am not having fun yet... however, I am learning a lot which is a wonderful "silver lining".
I was wondering if you're trying to use the active window as shortcut.

....and firefox.exe as Protect

Okay, I'll watch for PM.
Userlevel 5
Badge +22
NicCrockett,
Please elaborate on how using separate browsers helps. Wouldn't running the same browser but in separate sandboxes be sufficient? Also why is Opera so much safer than Firefox? Possibly even on separate desktops (same computer). I have done none of those, but simply curious.

Nick, your assumption about Chrome's install is correct. Your opinion of Adobe Flash matches mine. I also don't use Adobe Acrobat or other utilities. I would continue to upgrade to Adobe Photoshop but can't afford their new pricing. So, Adobe products remain unused on my systems plus those I maintain for friends and church.

Even if Chrome was rated #1, I don't trust Google. I was an early adopter of Google search and couldn't get anyone to use it. Now, I have only been successful at getting a few people to stop using it.

That left Firefox as my desired browser. My wife used Opera at work and it has been around and a favorite of many for a LONG time. I have used Edge for websites that failed to work in IE, and only because it was already installed.

Security. I started with an Apple ][+ and downloaded an untold number of software apps from BBS systems, the Source, and my all-time favorite, CompuServe (wish it were still around.) Ran little in the way of protection, most often none, until after the first virus hit my computer while researching the banking collapse. 26+ years aint bad but.... Many infection attempts since then but none (that I know of) have hit my system since then. Of course, now, anti-malware and Sandboxie purport to try and keep me safe. So, as for security vulnerabilities and those who exploit them, well, we agree again. (Something must be wrong with you... :D)
Userlevel 5
Badge +22
bjm,
I was wondering if you're trying to use the active window as shortcut.

Based on the image above, and my understanding of pinned applications, I would be using the left version. (As I recall the "underlined" icon indicates an active window.) Interesting, until that last sentence was typed your "active window" made no sense to me! ROFL.

Pinning confuses me, too limited in the number allowed because of the space required. Instead, I use the Quick Launch toolbar. Easy to maintain, backup, space can be limited to a single icon, and no confusion between two nearly identical icons! 😃
Pinning confuses me, too limited in the number allowed because of the space required. Instead, I use the Quick Launch toolbar. Easy to maintain, backup, space can be limited to a single icon, and no confusion between two nearly identical icons! :D
FWIW ~ my preference is 'Pin to taskbar' and 'Add Shortcut Icons'.

Userlevel 5
Badge +22
bjm,

In your settings for the Firefox Sandbox, do you "force" FF or is that done via the shortcut only?

Ok, I changed the Windows Shell Integration settings per your settings.

Thank you for showing me to turn off the "Shortcut Icons"! New shortcuts being created always bugged me! :D

Why do you have the first two set off. Default is on and I see no specific reason to have them enabled or disabled.

"Add Shortcut Icons" was used to create a Firefox shortcut and there were only four differences in what it created and one of the shortcuts I created. Sandboxie created:
"C:\Program Files\Sandboxie\Start.exe" /box:Firefox "C:\\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"
with a "Start in" of "C:\\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"
Differences:
Two are non-issues: the icon image and the shortcut name
Two are unknown to me. The second argument and the "Start in" value both have an extra back slash after the drive letter.

This shortcut doesn't even start Firefox.

So far, the only two shortcuts that have worked, partially, are
starting sandboxie with arguments of "do not force" and Firefox. This opens FF outside SBIE.
and simply executing FF Sandboxie being set to force Sandboxie.
Um, I use 'Force' and also have Shortcut Icon. Both work for me. Just my usual setup.

Note: Firefox is not my daily rider.
--
I don't need. Just my usual setup.

---
I've never looked at shortcut path. I use Pin to taskbar and Shortcut Icon.
Just my usual setup.
---
Moving to PM....for now.
Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +28
@ExpertNovice,

I could use something like sandboxie and be just fine. However, I've been in the IT field for almost 2 decades and using both PCs and Macs for about 3 decades. However, I'm a one person IT department supporting an entire company as well as family and friends. Yes, I have no life. 🤤 The people I deal with don't have the knowledge to work with a program like sandboxie, nor will they put forth the effort to use it properly. Therefore, when I suggest an easy security method that people can use, I suggest the multiple browser method. It keeps the stuff you care about "sandboxed" in one browser and then keeps your other unknown browsing "sandboxed" in another browser. Obviously this isn't true sandboxing, but it's a method that people can handle and accept. Whereas setting up Sandboxie they "might" try, get lost in the set-up or use, and in the end abandon it. It's better to suggest what people are more likely to use, than something you know they won't.

Yes, I hate Adobe and I know Flash Player is nothing but a security risk. However, don't throw the baby out with the bath water. They do produce some good products, though, like you, we're getting swindled by Creative Cloud pricing. However, I would still suggest using Adobe Reader, which is free. To avoid the main download with the bloatware, download it from https://about:blank. This is strictly Adobe Reader and that's it. If your installing the latest version from this site, drill down into win -> AcrobatDC -> 19xxxxxxxx. If the only file in there is a .msp file, go back version(s) until you find the last posted .exe file. Install the .exe file, then go to the latest version if you need to and install the .msp file. The .msp file is just an update and you don't have to install all the ones in between. Also, there will be two .msp files, one ends in MUI.msp, don't use this file. This gives you a clean version of Adobe Reader. You won't be able to edit PDF files, but you can at least view them in their native program.

Everyone has their own opinion of Google. Personally, I'm a fan, although I'm not particularly a fan of Chrome. However, Search, Photos, Drive, My Business, Webmaster Tools, Analytics, etc. are all great products in my opinion. I can appreciate that you may not share this opinion. I can offer a suggestion for a search engine if you want. I personally haven't used it, but I've heard good things about Duck Duck Go. You can set Firefox to use this one as your default if you want.

I also use Firefox as my default browser. However, I have to test web pages on all the major browsers because part of my job is web development. Also, as I previously stated, I have to use IE to access some legacy systems at work. If it wasn't for that I would probably only use Firefox, Chrome, and Opera, in that order. I wouldn't use IE, Edge, or Safari.

I started out on a Mac, but I was young and I don't remember what system/OS version it was. I grew up on Macs, but I hate them. I'd prefer to be on a PC any day. Anyone who tells you Macs don't have problems doesn't know what they're talking about. I work in the printing industry, so I have to support Macs. I've seen more Macs crash, black screen of death, and countless other known and unknown issues than I can count. Apple supports that last 3 versions of their OS, so you get about 3 years of security patches. Microsoft supports their products for a minimum of 10 years. Windows XP they extended to 12 years. Microsoft may get hit by more stuff, but they're a bigger target and they at least support you for longer. We're currently waiting to see if they're going to extend Windows 7 support, since it ends next year, but there are still a lot of PCs running it.
Userlevel 5
Badge +22
NicCrockett,
ROFL.... er, I mean, sorry! Yeah, when family and friends know you will help them with their computer issues free time seems to shrink.

I want to switch to Firefox but getting my Wife to understand she needs to terminate the programs in Sandboxie to restart Firefox.... She likes Opera so I may try it. Thanks for the information on what you meant and the suggestions.

Acrobat Reader. Try "PDF XChange", like Acrobat I use the free version.

DuckDuckGo is about 90-95% (totally made up percentages) as effective/accurate as Google. What I miss with Google is the cached pages which I *think* may be safer. Bright Cloud helps my comfort factor. (I use my Excel workbook to convert links from sites like Google and DuckDuckGo to the final link.)

Heh, you started on Macs... I started on Apple][+ and really, really, wanted that first Macintosh... then, they said "closed architecture". Recently I considered getting an iPhone but they announced they were going to start censuring content from all Apple platforms not in line with their corporate values. "Closed architecture, censorship" both controlling attitudes.
Userlevel 7
Badge +28
Good luck getting your wife to change. Like most individuals, she's probably set in her ways. Which is why I use the security workarounds for users and people. I know they are going to either take the easy route or use what they are use to. Nothing against your wife or women, this applies to how I deal with anyone. It's a human condition, not a gender, ethnic, political, or any other diversity. Even I'm guilty of it at times.

Another free PDF reader you can use is SumatraPDF. It's pretty ugly, but it works quite well. The designer just needs a new color scheme. I use it on our older PCs where I can't install the latest Adobe Reader or they have Adobe Acrobat installed. If they can't install the latest Adobe Reader, this allows them to read newer PDFs. If you aren't aware, you aren't supposed to install Adobe Reader and Adobe Acrobat on the same PC. It can really mess things up. Before I learned this, 12-15 years ago, an employee sent a PDF to a customer from a PC with both and it messed up the customer's PC. After doing some research, I learned that it was a known issue due to drivers and registry entries that crossover one another. Being essentially the same program, Adobe didn't completely separate the two for installation purposes. Also, you can use Firefox and Chrome to view PDFs, but the experience isn't that great.

No offense, but I'm not going to get into the Apple discussion, other than to say, yes that's where I started. However, I hate Apple with a passion and wish they didn't exist. Buy Microsoft or Android. If you're looking at new phones, look at the Pixel 3. I've had a Pixel XL for a little over two years and it's amazing. Everyone I talk to says they wish their photos were as nice as mine. The battery life is about two days unless I use the screen a lot and then it's one day. I bought it unlocked from Google and put it on AT&T and it works fine. Obviously buy what's right for you, but if I was buying a new phone right now, that's what I'd get.

Good Luck!
I now assume they mean "most browsers" or "Firefox" rather than "a browser".
First, thanks for the little lesson on the right terms for the Notification Area. I've always been a bit fuzzy about the correct language with Systray, Notification Area etc. and, for the first time, someone has been able to provide me with some clarity regarding this 😉.

Regarding "Firefox"/"most browsers", my fuzziness in my previous posts in this thread has, I think, unfortunately hindered rather than assisted understanding. In fact, I was confusing the Web Threat Shield (which works with IE, Firefox and Chrome—and, by manually copying the Chrome Web Filtering Extension to Chromium based browsers, can work with Chromium based browsers as well. It may also now work with Edge but I'm not sure—while it was not working with Edge, the Webroot Web Filtering Driver (Webroot GUI > Advanced Settings > Firewall/Web Shield) was standing in for the Web Filtering Extension and still does, I believe. I'm not completely sure what the current status regarding the Web Filtering Extension is with Edge), confusing the Web Threat Shield with the Identity Shield.

In fact the Identity Shield will work with ANY app you choose to add to the Application Protection (for example, you can add Word, if you wish, to protected applications—personally, I don't and wouldn't. I only feel the need to protect my browser

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Something seems to have got chopped off the end of this post when I posted! I think I did something wrong in a hurry as I was posting! I can't remember how I ended the above paragraph, but I went on to say to @NicCrockett that I have found the problem with the key input lag whilst using Identity Shield is something that was a problem for me up until 2 or so years ago, but since then I have found it to be a trivial issue with almost imperceptible lag. I qualified that by saying I haven't recently tested this (i.e. writing text to an https:// page while Identity Shield is enabled) on my XP.

@LLiddell: When I first saw what I had posted, I could still see the rest of the post, but it was in Strikethrough font. If there is any way you can retrieve that text, take away the Strikethrough and append it to this post, please do so (and then delete this edit). If not, don't worry. Thanks!
Userlevel 5
Badge +22
Muddy7,

Yeah, MS uses fuzzy naming.

As a test Notepad.exe was added to Identity Shield. (testing and it seemed a safe choice)
It is protected but I can't figure out how to unprotect as it is not listed in Identity Shield!

I too curently only protect my browser but am considering adding Outlook for email protection. The one time this was tried was a nightmare as the PST files were being copied into the sandbox and they are large. Now, there is a setting to prevent large files from being copied. My main desire is to protect my Wife who clicks on any link sent her.
I...am considering adding Outlook for email protection. My main desire is to protect my Wife who clicks on any link sent her.
Will Identity Shield help? Maybe i'm not understanding you, but according to my understanding Identity Shield will not stop your wife from clicking on links. It will simply stop someone stealing personal information through keylogging and screen capture. That at least is my understanding (Edit: though it's true it will stop someone from screen capturing or keylogging the emails she's sending).