Identity Shield Causing Missed Keypresses in Chrome

• 23 November 2018
  • 9 replies

Badge +3
I've been experiencing some strange slowdowns in Chrome with missed keypresses, particularly noticeable when I use Ctrl+Tab, Ctrl+T, or Ctrl+W.

I disabled Webroot and the behavior went away. I dove a bit deeper and identified that something within Identity Shield is the culprit.

It's 100% reproducible by turning Identity Shield on, then rapidly opening a bunch of tabs with Ctrl+T and trying to close them with Ctrl+W. You have to lift your finger off the Ctrl key to get the funky behavior rather than leaving it held down.

If I try to close the tab with Ctrl+W super quickly, it never closes.

Disable Identity Shield, and the problem goes away completely.

Any help would be appreciated! I'll leave the feature off for now because it's infuriating to browse the web with the missed keypresses, but I'd like to use it if possible.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +63
Hello @ and Welcome to the Webroot Community.

Yes WSA has affected keyboard presses within browsers in the past but I'm not seeing it at this time but I would suggest that you Submit a Support Ticket and ask them to look into your issue and they will help you sort it out.

Thanks,
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I am having the same exact issue, and so are other users, and defiantly an issue with Webroot Identity Shield:
https://www.reddit.com/r/chrome/comments/7ysqv3/ctrlt_and_other_hotkey_problems/e1blfn2/

Any way to turn off Identity Shield and not have a yellow exclamation point in the icon status saying I'm unprotected?
I am having the same exact issue, and so are other users, and defiantly an issue with Webroot Identity Shield:
https://www.reddit.com/r/chrome/comments/7ysqv3/ctrlt_and_other_hotkey_problems/e1blfn2/

Any way to turn off Identity Shield and not have a yellow exclamation point in the icon status saying I'm unprotected?

Hello @TimeOfTheDay, welcome to the Webroot Community.

As far as I know, there is no way to turn off the Identity Shield without getting the warning. I suggest following TripleHelix's suggestion and Submit a Support Ticket and ask them to look into your issue. The more info support can get regarding this issue, the better. Maybe the OP, @rshwayder, can let us know what his status is regarding this?

Let us know what support has to say, if you can. ;)

Thanks,
Badge +3
Never got a fix, unfortunately. Support acknowledged the issue but had no solution. I've had to switch from Webroot as a result after many years of use.
Never got a fix, unfortunately. Support acknowledged the issue but had no solution. I've had to switch from Webroot as a result after many years of use.

Thanks for the response @rshwayder. Sorry to hear that is the case.

Often times, this is just a matter of certain files that Webroot may be monitoring, perhaps due to their status being 'unknown', that causes issues like this. Since this doesn't appear to be a widespread issue, I think it'd be best for any users experiencing this issue to still submit a support ticket so that Webroot support can review each report on a case by case basis and determine the best approach for responding to this issue based on that info.

Thanks again for your input,
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
@BurnDaddy Thanks for the quick replies and taking the time to look into this. I believe the issue is widespread for the following reasons:

-Its impossible for most people to report the issue because they don't know it's related to Webroot, its very easy for users to put the blame on their keyboard, windows, chrome, or other software

-It's very hard to know that it was related to Identity Shield, I was suffering from this problem for over a year on Win7 and now on Win10, before I lucky with a search and found the reddit thread and this thread about the issue, and turning off identify shield solves the problem

-Many users are not power users, they don't open/close many tabs at quick speeds and constantly use keyboard shortcuts like me and @rshwayder, they might just mouse click for a new tab. The problem is defiantly reproducible and a big nuisance when keyboard commands don't always register and not knowing why.

Chatting to the another user with this problem, when they reported it to Webroot, they wanted to do a remote support session. Dealing with level 1 support can be a tedious process, and in the case with
@rshwayder, support has already acknowledged the issue, but there is no fix. Is it possible to connect with someone more technical, that can reopen the existing support ticket, instead of starting at square one. Preferable someone that is responsible for the Webroot dll injection/driver, or a technical team that can just run a keyboard event log to directly look into the issue. It would be great if they can just respond here so all users with this issue can contribute to the discussion.

Another issue is with the GUI, under identity protection, right click and remove all apps from the application protected. The application don't repopulate, even after restart of the computer, webroot still shows a protected lock for chrome. This makes it very hard to a user to manage apps via GUI, since the list isn't repopulated and hard to know which apps are protected and which are not.
Hi @TimeOfTheDay,

I stated that I believed the issue isn't widespread because many of us here in the Community are not experiencing this issue and your post is the first I've seen about it since the OP's post 3 months ago. But that doesn't diminish the problems you are having so I still think support is your best option here. While support may have told the OP that there wasn't a fix, things may have changed or the reasons for there not being a solution may differ from yours. Since we are only volunteers here and don't have the access that support does, they'd be best suited to address this problem as well as the GUI issue you mentioned.

As far as reopening your support ticket, I believe you can do that by logging into your Web Console.
Once in the console, click on the 'Customer Support' button.

Then choose the 'Closed Ticket' tab.

Find the ticket and click on the 'Reopen ticket' button. That should allow you to proceed again with support.

Hope this info helps. Please let us know how things go. 😉
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
@BurnDaddy Wow I didn't know you guys are volunteers, should get paid imo. You reply so quickly and attentively. I'll go ahead and open a support request. Thanks.
You're welcome @TimeOfTheDay, and thank you. Hope I was able to provide some useful information. Please do let us know how things go with support. Your info could prove useful to others here in the Community. :)

Have a good day.