Solved

Identity Shield not working

• 23 November 2013
  • 31 replies

Userlevel 7
  • Community Leader
  • 314 replies
I have been testing Webroot's Identity Shield and multiple times it does not stop the screen grabing attack. It is sucsesfull at blocking most (most, but not all) keystrokes from being logged, however, when using a screen capture program Webroot does not block or even notify that an application is attempting to take screenshots. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Webroot multiple times but I get the same results. Please advise.

Shran
icon

Best answer by JoeJ 25 November 2013, 23:04

View original

31 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Thanks Joe for the great info I will bookmark for future reference!

Cheers,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi @ 
How would you describe WSA's whole-system anti-logging capabilities as compared to a protect that doesn't focus on browsers specifically?
Userlevel 5
@ wrote:
Hi @ 
How would you describe WSA's whole-system anti-logging capabilities as compared to a protect that doesn't focus on browsers specifically?

Information stealing threats are primarily focused on browsers today, although you can add additional applications to be protected as wanted (like Excel, Word, Notepad, etc.) However, most of WSA's kernel-level anti-logging is application agnostic so you're already receiving a sizable amount of protection silently over all applications against advanced information stealing threats.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
@ Thank you! Also while your here I have a burning question I've never been able to figure out:

Can you describe the changes in Windows 8/8.1 that have reduced the ability for keyloggers and other scrapers to function correctly, while also limiting the ability of protection products to hook in as deeply to protect it? This a claim from a competitor as to why their product features are not as extensive on Win8.
Userlevel 5
@ wrote:
@ Thank you! Also while your here I have a burning question I've never been able to figure out:

Can you describe the changes in Windows 8/8.1 that have reduced the ability for keyloggers and other scrapers to function correctly, while also limiting the ability of protection products to hook in as deeply to protect it? This a claim from a competitor as to why their product features are not as extensive on Win8.
There haven't been any limitations we've encountered. The only relevant difference would be any 64bit platform having PatchGuard which blocks certain types of kernel changes, but this isn't unique to Win8. The primary AV-relevant change in Win8 is the fact that Microsoft are now requiring any firewall developer to use the built-in firewall APIs.
Userlevel 7
Thank you all for your assistance. I bought WSA today and now I have a full year's subscription instead of a trial :D

Shran