IN USE MESSAGE APPEARED BRIEFLY ON BOTTOM TASK BAR & EMAIL POPUP & PASSWORD CONCERNS

• 29 March 2017
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +12
A little circle appeared for two seconds on bottom task bar and I think I saw  "In Use" and then it disappeared. GPS in use?? Is this something I sould be concerned about and if so what should I do.  Is there any way to be sure no one is remoting into my computer?

Also, a small popup appeared today when I was on my home screen in email and it said ATT has fixes click now or later. I like a dummy clicked fix now and it disappeared. 

Also, day before yesterday I got an email from a website that recommended I change my password and click the link. Like a dummy I did and it sent me an email which directed me to a HTTPS website that had the companies name on it.  I hadn't used this website in years.

I know I did some stupid stuff. I just changed my email password yesterday. Should I change it again?  I have gone through most if not all of my passwords and changed them to Stronger ones.

I was told my an ATT technician that passwords with phrases are harder to crack by passcode breakers such as, "THEskyisFalling". Is this true? The technician check my computer out and said it looked clean. I pay a little extra each month where I can call ATT for TechConnect Support.

Thanks you for answering my questions. 

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Hi baitnhooklure

In terms of the "little circle appeared for two seconds on bottom task bar and I think I saw  "In Use" and then it disappeared"; are you using a laptop/tablet or desktop? If the latter then I would just check the Location settings to make sure that they are as you expect.

With regard to "Is there any way to be sure no one is remoting into my computer?" please take a look at THIS article that covers the subject well and is from a reputable source.

In the case of your 'uninformed' clicks; as you use ATT and have a relationship with them I would not worry, but in the case of the other one; if yo have not already then I would run a manual scan of your system with WSA, and if that comes up clean then all should be well. But if you still have any concerns you can Open a Support Ticket and ask the Support Team to investigate for you just to make sure.

I would, just to make sure, change your password again...it never hurts to be a little extra cautious...;)

Yes, as far as I am aware passwords with phrases are harder to crack but a phrase that also includes numbers and/or special characters is even harder to break. Taking you example of "THEskyisFalling", and going for "TH3sky1sF*ll1ng" would make it even stronger (hopefully you can see how I have used numerics & special characters that resemble the original letters they have replaced?)

Well, I hope that helps some? If you have any further questions then please let us know and we will be pleased to try to answer them for you.

Regards, Baldrick