Solved

Installation removes files silently

• 13 September 2013
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Why are some files removed without warning or quarantaine?
2 very much needed files disappeared. I wonder if any more are removed silently...

They were autohotkey exe that I wrote myself btw. I had backups. AHK may be a risk but why no warning at all???
icon

Best answer by RetiredTripleHelix 14 September 2013, 18:38

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13
Under settings-advanced settings-behavior shield uncheck the 4th checkbox(automatically perform the recommended action instead of showing warning messages) if it is checked.
Userlevel 7
Badge +13
Also,you can set up exceptions for files under the pcsecurity tab-quarantine-detection configuration.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Yes, I know, but this happens during a fresh WSA installation. Can't go to the configuration yet :@
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello Wammes and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums.

Can you Please Submit a Support Ticket and they will help you get this corrected.

Cheers,

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Hey Wammes - I didn't see a support ticket under your registered email address. Do you still need assistance?
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
? strange, I did send a message yesterday. I can see it on the webroot support page. 

And... it is not so much that I need assistance, this is more about the behavior of WSA that worries me.
Userlevel 7
It looks like MikeR was trying to locate the ticket to have a look and couldn't find it. Did you use the same email address that you used to register for the Community? I can't recall Mike's schedule but I am pretty sure he is off today. You might send him a private message for when he is back on though.

If the ticket was more about behavior than assistance needed that would explain why the other support techs have not replied, they are probably leaving it for the Community support types like Mike to handle.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Same mail. But no hurry, I'll wait.

I did a test today: uninstall WSA, reboot, install again. Now the files remained! Last time I did not reboot, but installed again immediately. 

Maybe files remain in memory or something after an uninstall. From now on I will allways reboot before reinstalling anything again. Learning Moment! :D

That quiet file removal should not happen in any case though. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Same mail. But no hurry, I'll wait.

I did a test today: uninstall WSA, reboot, install again. Now the files remained! Last time I did not reboot, but installed again immediately. 

Maybe files remain in memory or something after an uninstall. From now on I will allways reboot before reinstalling anything again. Learning Moment! :D

That quiet file removal should not happen in any case though. 

Yes it's best to reboot after uninstalling WSA even though it doesn't ask you to and even when it updates I always recommend a reboot to get the files fully updated!

Glad it's working for you now if you have any other questions please feel free to ask!

Cheers,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
@ wrote: 
Glad it's working for you now if you have any other questions please feel free to ask!

Oooooooh.... I have many other questions to ask! :D
But don't worry, I will look around here for possible answers first!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
You can look around here or look at the Online Helpfile: https://detail.webrootanywhere.com/agenthelp.asp?n=OpeningPage

Cheers,

Daniel