Solved

Internet inaccessible after installing WSA AV - suspecting conflict with parental control programs.

• 2 July 2012
  • 8 replies

I've installed SecureAnywhere AV (SAAV) on 3 systems.  For 2 of them, everything went smooth.  On a third one though...

After installing, I canot access internet.  (Internet explorer has stopped working ... blah blah error msg)
Disable all IE plug ins.  No luck.
From a cmd prompt: Ping well known sites such as google.com or cnn.com: fail
Ping their IP, in case it is DNS related: fail
Access shared drives on LAN, open files, etc.: *success!*  (So, it seems to be IP stack related)
Disable SAAV: does not fix
Uninstall SAAV: does not fix
Restore system prior to installation of SAAV: everything back to normal.

After that, I updated windows to very latest updates and created a restore point.
Everything still fine.

Install SAAV: problem is back.
Again, disable or uninstall SAAV does not solve the problem (** the fact that uninstalling does not fix it is very annoying)
Restore to that new restore point: everything is fine.

This system runs Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, and I'm using IE 8.
SAAV runs fine on two other similar system of mine (Win 7 Pro 64 desktop and Win Home Pro 64 laptop)

There is a main difference though.  The system that fails runs 2 parental controls programs, in addition to windows parental control enabled on my kids accounts.

Net Nanny & TimesUpKidz

I did not investigate if SAAV would not cause any issue if I would disable/uninstall those two apps, because removing them from that computer is not an option.

The problem is occuring even when connecting with administrator account, for which the above two program are not doing any filtering (though, I understand the software low level hooks are in place, and that could be suficient to create a conflict with SAAV)

Thought I would post this information so others with similar issue could find this.
I have no stronger evidence that the above 2 programs are indeed conflicting with SAAV.
Searching those keywords on webroot site did not bring anything.
Googling with those keywords & "webroot antivirus conflict" did not bring anything obvious.

Reverted back to MSE on that system for now.
SAAV still performing its duty on my other 2 systems.

icon

Best answer by YegorP 2 July 2012, 18:37

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
Hi Beth, I do not use parental control neither used old version of webroot. Just downloaded trial version of webroot assuming future purchase but as as soon as I downloaded and installed in my laptop internet stopped working. I uninstalled all other antivirus softwares, system restore again uninstalled webroot but it didn't work. Whenever I try to open images it says unable to connect proxy server. I am out of internet since I got into webroot.
Welcome nabinnalbo, So sorry for your issues here. Please do as Beth has suggested and contact Tech Support. Its free and if you are able to issue a Submit Trouble Ticket   or we can have @  assist here in esculating this problem.

Best Regards
I had a same issue. After installing Webroot 2015, ping service was not working. It was resolved by following command(in windows 7 system): "netsh winsock reset catalog" (Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults )

http://superuser.com/questions/495759/why-is-ping-unable-to-resolve-a-name-when-nslookup-works-fine 
Userlevel 7
Hey ebbz,

Glad to have you posting here on the Webroot Community. Welcome to the forums!

I'm sorry to hear you're having this issue; hopefully we can get you back up-and-running on the internet conflict-free! :D

Have you had an older version of Webroot installed on your computer in the past? If so, it is possible that remnants of the old program (more specifically the old firewall) are still on your computer and could be causing the issue you're experiencing. Fortunately, there is an easy way to test this as we have removal tools that will remove all traces of the old product. Just make sure to create a restore point first!

Just in case, here's how to create a restore point in Vista/Windows 7.
And here are the the removal tools, part one and part two

After running these removal tools and rebooting your computer, please install Webroot SecureAnywhere again and try to get onto the internet. If you are still not able to access the internet, let me know!

*As a side note, parental control and system monitor programs are a tricky in regards to how they behave alongside Webroot SecureAnywhere. Basically, because these types of programs are sometimes abused and used for malicious purposes, we may detect them as threats and try to remove them. Because of this predicament, we can't simply whitelist them and hope for the best (nobody abusing them). Because I trust you are using them for legitimate purposes, you have the option to override the detections locally. If you are having problems downloading, installing, or running the parental control apps alongside SecureAnywhre, let me know and I'll give you instructions on how to do this!*

But first, please run the removal tools and update me with the results! We'll go from there!

Same problem, I don't have access to Internet just because of webroot so being unable to open any pages. I have chrome. Just uninstalled webroot and tried but doesn't work.
Userlevel 6
@ wrote:
Same problem, I don't have access to Internet just because of webroot so being unable to open any pages. I have chrome. Just uninstalled webroot and tried but doesn't work.
Welcome to the community nabinnalbo!

Sorry you are experiencing this.

Are you using a parental control program? Do you have older versions of Webroot installed?

Could you please give us some more details.

We do have an excellent tech support team and they will be more than happy to assist you as well. You can submit a support ticket 24/7.

Beth
Hi Beth, I do not use parental control neither used old version of webroot. Just downloaded trial version of webroot assuming future purchase but as as soon as I downloaded and installed in my laptop internet stopped working. I uninstalled all other antivirus softwares, system restore again uninstalled webroot but it didn't work. Whenever I try to open images it says unable to connect proxy server. I am out of internet since I got into webroot.
Userlevel 6
@ wrote:
Hello nabinnalbo,

Did you contact tech support? I do hope you did.

Please do let us know.

Beth
Userlevel 7
Hi lalasam

Welcome to the Community Forums.

And thanks for sharing...this sort of information is extremely useful in terms of helping other members in the future.

Regards, Baldrick