Is my Webroot being fooled by malware?

• 10 February 2015
  • 2 replies

Hi, I need some help from you tech-savy saviors. My computer has been randomly moving slow for the last 2-3 months. It's not seriously slow, just annoying. I'm working with a Windows 7 os (and I refuse to upgrade to their crappy new os that has an interface full of apps). Often when I try to open a document or my pictures folder the computer starts to run really slow (the cursor still moves at regular speed). I initially thought it was because I had too many media websites open but that's not the case.

I've been scanning my computer constantly but Webroot only found one threat and that was just last week. Usually my scans only last for max. 10 minutes but recently they've gone up to 2 hours. That's only when I scan while my computer is acting funky. I often have to restart the computer and scan again to get it to scan in a resonable amount of time and for my computer to run at its normal processing speed. Yet Webroot still detects nothing. I've used all the troubleshooting scans on my computer but they've found nothing. I get this "powershell stopped working" message often so i'm starting to believe there's malware on my computer that Webroot isn't noticing. What do you guys think? Is that possible or is there some simple solution?

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello Aide-Moi,

Welcome to the Community Forum,

In my opinion if you had a threat last week and Webroot is scanning slow and powershell has stopped running then I'd issue a Support Ticket so they can check this out for you. Because it's hard to say if it's Malware or not that is causing this error.

Unless @ has advice here? Are you around Daniel?

Kind Regards,

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello and Welcome to the Webroot Community!

By the sounds of it you have some PUA's see if you can remove them yourself: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Techie-KB/How-to-Remove-Potentially-Unwanted-Applications/ta-p/40744 and if in the end they are still there contact support as Sherry suggested!

Thanks,

Daniel 😉