Solved

Linux version of Webroot SecureAnywhere

Userlevel 1
As far as I can tell there have been 6 requests for a Linux version of Webroot SecureAnywhere posted in Ideas Exchange but there is no hint of anything being developed along these lines. Are we to take it that this is just not on the radar?
There seems at the moment to be only one other product which offers realtime protection for (in my case) Ubuntu - ESET - and that requires some fiddling and contortions to get it working with the latest systemd which appeared in Ubuntu 15.04. I would rather be using the same AV product across all our household machines - Windows and Linux.
Is any Linux development likely to happen - or does it look completely non-viable from a commercial perspective?
icon

Best answer by DanP 8 July 2015, 17:18

View original

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +35
@ wrote:
As far as I can tell there have been 6 requests for a Linux version of Webroot SecureAnywhere posted in Ideas Exchange but there is no hint of anything being developed along these lines. Are we to take it that this is just not on the radar?
There seems at the moment to be only one other product which offers realtime protection for (in my case) Ubuntu - ESET - and that requires some fiddling and contortions to get it working with the latest systemd which appeared in Ubuntu 15.04. I would rather be using the same AV product across all our household machines - Windows and Linux.
Is any Linux development likely to happen - or does it look completely non-viable from a commercial perspective?
A Linux version is being looked into and there has been some POC development done, so the requests are being considered. That's about all I can say regarding a Linux version.

-Dan
Userlevel 4
Badge +14
I agree with the request. Since Android is being supported, would it be that hard to implement Linux?

In my business we are finding more and more the need to support Linux, as well as Windows, Mac OS, IOS, and Android.

@ wrote:
@ wrote:
A Linux version is being looked into and there has been some POC development done, so the requests are being considered. That's about all I can say regarding a Linux version.

-Dan
Im glad to hear that you are considering a Linux version. Will you be able to notify the Webroot community if/when the Linux version is released?
Userlevel 7
Badge +35
@ wrote:
Im glad to hear that you are considering a Linux version. Will you be able to notify the Webroot community if/when the Linux version is released?

I would imagine there would be quite a buzz on the community if/when a Linux version is released, yes.

-Dan
Userlevel 5
Hi.

is there any news updates about Linux version of SecureAnywhere?

maybe ? have some news from last 4 months?
Userlevel 1
I complete agree with this request.  Linux is quickly becoming very popular.  Thus, the chances of being attacked are also increasing.  If you can create an Android version, then it shouldn't be too hard to create a Linux version.
Userlevel 1
+1 on the idea of porting the program to Linux. This is my last year of support under Webroot, and would love to see a client before my subscription ends, otherwise I may need to look at an alternate application, as my core operating environment has been Linux as of late.

I think the application is great and works well, and would like to see that level of protection on my many other Linux based systems. I can understand that it may not be a priority, but this will certainly be a key consideration for me when my renewal time comes up.
Userlevel 5
Badge +24
This is an old thread, but is now relevant to me as I have inherited a site with a linux client.  Is there any news on having a Webroot Linux client?
Userlevel 7
@ it's something I've been interested in ever since I started here but unfortunately there's no new news to share...?
Userlevel 2
Hi Dan,

Great to know, is it possible to participate in testing phase?

Using Ubuntu here

Userlevel 7
There are no current plans to support Linux, @
Badge +1
TR_tr
Merhabalar,
Webroot rakipleri
(ESET NOD32, Kaspersky, Comondo, F-PROT, BitDefender, Avast, Sophos vb...)
PARDUS Linux (DEBIAN 64bit) destekliyor.

Soru:
Webroot bu gelişim sürecine ne zaman uyum sağlayacaktır?

Ümüt DEMİR
Ankara / TURKEY
Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I also am considering using Linux Mint, I’ve been happy so far with WR on my Windows systems. However I’m tired of Microsoft running the circus and am  going to definitly put Linux on one of my PCs.

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

Now that Linux is a more common target for malware and especially ransomeware that will mean that we will have to start looking for another AntiVirus/AntiMalware solution.

This will make us look at other solutions which might mean that we will rethink our use of Webroot?

This is something that Webroot should be careful of especially for the Enterprise where Linux is becoming so much more common on the desktop.

Many times if a solution does not cover all the endpoints it does not even become a solution.

David

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

From the dates I’ve seen it doesn’t look like WR is to interested in providing a solution to this issue for LINUX users. My subscription is ending. I have 4 PC’s I just installed Linux on one and have another that has Win 7 on it that I will be replacing with Linux, the other two PC’s have Win 10 which MS claims doesn’t need any further protection other than Windows Defender; therefore I doubt if I’ll be renewing my subscription. It worked well while I was using windows.

Badge +1

Sophos offers a free version of its antivirus for Linux.  Note that the free version is cli-only, has no console support, has to be managed locally, and is free for home use only.  I wish that Webroot protection were available on my Linux endpoints.  When it comes time to replace infrastructure, I want to be able to move away from Windows while  keeping my Webroot protection and subscription.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Thanks! It looks like WR isn’t too interested in providing AV/Internet protection to Linux users.

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

We are now looking for a Linux A/V solutions real-time, for our servers and desktops.  This will make us familiar with another solution.  Who knows might be better?   There are some serious holes in the Webroot solution for the enterprise, mainly centralized logging so that we can see what else happens when an intrusion/malware/virus is detected.

Unfortunately this will make us familiar with another solution, which if as good or better, and financially appealing would make the switch very easy.

Also supporting two different solutions is more work.

Again not having a Linux solution is damaging.

In one of the companies that I consult with, Webroot could not be considered because Linux was a requirement.

It is strange for business product dedicated to security doesn’t support Linux. Considering that most servers and anyone serious about security would use Linux.  

Just spent an entire week attempting to remove a coin miner that was installed on my computer. I really wish one of these companies would come out with a non-business product for Linux. I can’t believe I’m forced into paying $$$$ for a home computer. This is sickening

Userlevel 2
Badge +13

6 years later and Webroot is fired. This is just one item on a list of things that Webroot has never addressed over the years. We will be moving to a more comprehensive product that supports all of our systems with central management and reporting.