Solved

Locked Out Of My AOL Account (Due To Webroot)?

• 15 December 2012
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 6
  • Community Leader
  • 324 replies
I was locked out of my AOL account yesterday morning.  AOL Tech did not know, as of yesterday, what the cause was.  Apparently, there were a lot of AOL users who were affected.  AOL Tech cured the problem yesterday.  However, the same thing occurred today.  I called AOL Tech and advised them the problem had recurred.  The first thing AOL Tech asked was:  "Do you use Webroot internet security."  I responded that I did.  They said, "that's the cause."  They directed me to a part of the Webroot Secure Anywhere site where I clicked on the "Identity & Privacy" tab and then the "View/Edit Protected Applications"  link, and there, I had to "allow" the AOL.exe link.

Problem solved.

So, why is Webroot blocking AOL?
icon

Best answer by MikeR 16 December 2012, 22:13

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Have a look at this post for the answer http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2157819&postcount=5 be sure to set AOL.exe back to Protected.

TH
Userlevel 7
Interesting problem. I also have a AOL Account that I check daily. Yesterday on my first try to log into account, it failed. I thought maybe RoboForm didn't log in right. Closed IE browser and tried to log in again, successful log in. I don't have AOL.exe listed in my Protected Applications. Not having problems now logging into account. Interesting to see what Webroot has to say about this.
Userlevel 6
Hello, TH.  I thought Webroot "played nice" with everyone!  -:)
Userlevel 7
HI TH, looks like I was typing while you were posting. lol. Thanks for the link. 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
RWM probably has the AOL Browser so the reason it shows in the ID Shield app list. Have a look at Joe's post.

TH
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Hello, TH.  I thought Webroot "played nice" with everyone!  -:)
Some problems do show up but Webroot is fast to fix them! ;)

TH
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
RWM I forgot to ask if you did get the update to v8.0.2.85 which fixes this issue? Sorry.

TH
Userlevel 6
@ wrote:
RWM I forgot to ask if you did get the update to v8.0.2.85 which fixes this issue? Sorry.

TH
Not sure what you mean.  Is that an AOL fix or a Webroot fix? 
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
@ wrote:

TH
Not sure what you mean.  Is that an AOL fix or a Webroot fix? 
Hover your mouse over the Tray Icon and see what version is installed? It should say v8.0.2.85 and it's a Webroot fix for AOL Browser.

TH
Userlevel 7
As TripleHelix suggested, this issue should now be fixed in version 8.0.2.85. In 8.0.2.85, the entry for WAOL.exe persists as Protected in the list (if it was added there before the fix) but this has no negative impact on the function of the AOL software.