Looking for a good AV

• 25 January 2016
  • 6 replies

Hi,

I've read all kinds of bad things about windows defender and decided to purchase a full antivirus.

Now, I'm looking for something that's antivirus and antimalware. I've read some reviews and it's down to webroot, bitdefender or kaspersky. Now, why would you suggest webroot? I read it's a smaller install than any other AV, multiple times - but does it offer good protection? How does it do with zero-day threats? What would you say are its advantages?

When offline, does it offer same level of defence or is it completely necessary to be online (though i am 99% of the time, but just in case i go off the grid/on the road).

Thanks for your help,

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello holden87,

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

Please have a look at this post by Trile Helix (message #4) : https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/does-webroot-prevent-me-from-enabling-cookies-for-select/m-p/234687#M22154

Also you may want to keep in mind that Webroot has free Technical Support with an active subscription. As no other  AV's has. Webroot  backs up it's product! You are always up to date with the cloud. You are protected online and offline.

Maybe others on the Forum can add to this?

I would settle for nothing else but Webroot to protect my PCs and my Mac! In 2 1/2 years I have been protected and have had complete support from Webroot.

Hope this helps?

Thanks for your reply! Very informative!
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
You are most welcome holden87! 

Badge +8
Hi ?

I totally agree with Sherry. I have tried most of the advertised anti-virus products on the market and they all disappointed me. One actually deleted empty folders just because they were empty!! Great code.  I fell upon Webroot a few years back and I cannot remember how I was steered to it but it works like a dream. It allows users to adapt the product to how they want it to work. For example, you can protect, allow or deny any program you choose and allow, block or monitor any files you wish. The schedules for scanning can be set according to your comfort zone and it is just loaded with adaptable options. Not to mention the Cloud where you can send your files for that extra protection and the ability to view when not at your main device. It has many levels of security protection to ensure that you "are" you.

I've been running Webroot for years and have no need to ever change. It runs itself!!

Theresa
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
? for me it's plain & simple. Secure Anywhere all the way because it's soo fast and uses little resources and you can believe me when i talk out of experience that i haven't had any unwanted critters on my system since i have been using Secure Anywhere. And you can bet on it i'm not the most safe browser of the community :$ because i do frequent sites with not funny payloads. I'm not talking about sites that are NSFW but general all purpose mainland chinese sites ( baidu , 115, 119.com , QQ , Tencent and my mrs uses Wechat a lot ). and nothing gets thru till now. My kids watch a lot of hk cartoons or mainland chinese cartoons in mandarin . Before i used Webroot i used many other packages ( Norton , AVG, Kaspersky and even 360 total security ) and was never really at ease when my kids or wife used the pc. always had to keep an eye on them and now not. I can peacefully do whatever i want ( cook , read books or just be plane lazy and i really don't have to worry about the kids getting unwanted stuff on my machine.
I have grown up at work with Norton and had to get rid of it at home because it made my machine perform like a snail and still things got thru. Before Secure Anywhere i had to reïnstall my machine every few months and now not. When i used AVG i nearly threw my machine out of the window because of it. I got into Secure Anywhere  via our CM and it's the best thing i've done in life ( convert to SA ).
Userlevel 6
Badge +22
I confirm it's an excellent AV, flawless even with Windows 10 latest preview builds. My experience as a beta tester for Norton, Avira, Panda and their kins makes me stick to Webroot, being a belt and garter kind of guy I run a Mbam weekly to make sure (not resident) it never found any malware.