Solved

looking to scan external drives

Badge +8
Morning all,

Is there a modification that configures Webroot to scan external drives along with Drive C? I use "pocket" drives to store TV shows, Movies, pictures and to back up docs and accounting data.

Thanks for any input.

Theresa
icon

Best answer by RetiredTripleHelix 14 October 2015, 18:31

View original

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

These 2  threads will show you:      https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/How-do-I-get-Webroot-to-specifically-scan-an-external-hard-drive/m-p/184163#M12737 

https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/Scan-external-storage/m-p/203231#M16464 

p.s. I don't believe it's possible to schedule this in WSA settings, if that's what you intend. Task Scheduler might be a help for that purpose. 

HTH

Badge +8
Boy, do I feel like a knucklehead! Amatuerville, here I come. That was so ridiculously simple. Yes, I was looking for the easy way out (again) and hoping it would work on a schedule. Well, you can't always get what you want.

I appreciate the feedback and wonder why I couldn't find that question on Webroot. Doesn't matter. Many thanks,

Theresa
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
@ wrote:
Boy, do I feel like a knucklehead! Amatuerville, here I come. That was so ridiculously simple. Yes, I was looking for the easy way out (again) and hoping it would work on a schedule. Well, you can't always get what you want.

I appreciate the feedback and wonder why I couldn't find that question on Webroot. Doesn't matter. Many thanks,

Theresa
Hey Theresa, you are most welcome, and it's never silly to ask any question about something we're not clear about, and this is how we learn...and this is sure a good place for us all to do that 😉  

Badge +8
THanks for the kind words. I tend to beat my head against the wall when something so obvious does not enter my brain! You're right, no question is stupid, only the one not asked.

Best,
Theresa

Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
THanks for the kind words. I tend to beat my head against the wall when something so obvious does not enter my brain! You're right, no question is stupid, only the one not asked.

Best,
Theresa

Theresa, 

Next time, ask us first.  There are a lot of us willing to beat OUR collective heads on the wall so you don't have to :)

Badge +8
Well said Daivd. Takes some of the pressure off of this beaten head!

T
Badge +8
Now I have to bear up the courage to actually do it!?
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
We keep saying it, and communication always helps, and often we all end up learning something new. It's teamwork! :D

Badge +8
Thanks again Dermot. I tend to hesitate before asking. I will heed your advise in the future.
Badge +8
Well, I scanned one drive with TV shows and it wanted no part of it. Stopped immediately.
The next scanned drive contained docs, pix and videos (my own). After an hour and a half, I shut it down. Maybe I made it work too hard. Live and learn.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi again ? 
What I'd suggest trying is clicking on "Open" (instead of "scan with webroot"), as Sherry shows in this  post, and then try scanning each file individually (R-click>Scan with Webroot), and if that doesn't work, then it might be best to try a clean re-install of Webroot, which is really easy.  

Give this a try, and let us know how it went, and if you need help with reinstall instructions. 

Badge +8
Hi ?,

That is what I did and it completely stopped. I will try individual files next. My Webroot is up to date with an exception to the newest version which applies to Windows 10 & Edge. But, I will give it a shot later.

Many thanks,
Theresa
Badge +8
Hi Dermot,
Actually, ? right clicked the drive folder and then clicked scan with Webroot. Is there a difference in what you are suggesting?

Theresa
Badge +8
@ wrote:
Hi again @ 
What I'd suggest trying is clicking on "Open" (instead of "scan with webroot"), as Sherry shows in this  post, and then try scanning each file individually (R-click>Scan with Webroot), and if that doesn't work, then it might be best to try a clean re-install of Webroot, which is really easy.  

Give this a try, and let us know how it went, and if you need help with reinstall instructions. 

Hi Dermot,

I tried it all and same results. I even tried it under a different user as Microsoft is convinced My User is corrupt despite the fact that I deleted and created a new user three times and every once in a while, things go awry. The good news is that I now have the latest version of Webroot!
T
Badge +8
Also, Webroot opens, says files scanned 67 and it took less than a second.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Also, Webroot opens, says files scanned 67 and it took less than a second.
All normal Theresa! No need to scan external drives as WSA's Realtime Shield is always Active and looking for Bad Boys! :D

Daniel 😉
Badge +8
Many thanks Daniel. I knew it only could be Good News. :D

Theresa