Solved

Major Bug:Webroot blocking Netflix in internet explorer 11

• 23 October 2013
  • 26 replies

I have a major annoying problem with webroot.

Netflix doesn't use Silverlight in internet explorer 11

Instead it uses HTML5

Problem is that whenever I try to watch netflix I get sound but no video. I just get a black screen.

I have done testing and realised it is webroot causing this.

If I disable webroot netflix works fine.

If I re-enable webroot then netflix stops working.

I don't want to be having to disable my anti-virus just to watch netflix so anyone know how to fix this without disabling webroot?

icon

Best answer by Jasper_The_Rasper 16 August 2014, 00:37

View original

26 replies

After further testing it appears to be caused by the Identity protection shield as disabling that allows netflix to work.

Is there any way to whitelist netflix so that this shield doesn't block it?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
What version of OS Win 8.1 32bit or 64bit or other?

Thanks,

Daniel
Windows 8.1 64bit.

Webroot blocks netflix video in both the metro and desktop browsers
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Ok I found the issue and to fix it use IE11 and go into your Netfix Account and go into settings and Uncheck and follow the following messages and it works fine after! So it's not really ID Shield IMHO as Silverlight works very well. ;)

Daniel

Thanks.

That works for the desktop browser.

It's still a problem that webroot needs to fix though as I do most of my browsing with the metro browser and that doesn't support silverlight.

Besides what happens when other video sites start switching to HTML5. Will webroot block those too?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Thanks.

That works for the desktop browser.

It's still a problem that webroot needs to fix though as I do most of my browsing with the metro browser and that doesn't support silverlight.

Besides what happens when other video sites start switching to HTML5. Will webroot block those too?
At Least we got to work for the IE11 Browser and I'm sure the Developers know and working on it for a future Build we will wait and see what a Webroot Staff member says about it.

Cheers,

Daniel 😉
I have IE11 and when i unchecked the HTML5 box and tried netflix it still gave me the same error, this was afer closing and opening the browser,
I don't know if this post will help anymore or not.  I am running IE11 with webroot and had the same troubles with Netflix.  The problem isn't necessarily webroot, but the communication between IE and webroot on security certificates.  The above workarounds, like disabling HTML5, can help, but will tend to leave you exposed to the vulnerabilities in Silverlight.  An easier solution goes through IE itself.  Under Internet Options, select Security -> trusted sites. Click on sites button. Uncheck on the bottom 'Require Server Verification (https://)' option and add *.netflix.com to the trusted list.
I hope this helps others out there!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello and Welcome to the Webroot Community!

I just checked again IE11 on Win 7 x64 and no problems here?

Daniel

Internet Explorer on Windows 7 does not support the encrypted HTML5. It works for you because you are using Silverlight.

On Windows 8 you don't need to have silverlight for Netflix. It should work using HTML5.

I have no intention of installing Silverlight for security reasons and as Webroot blocked netflix from working and I had absolutely no helpful replies from webroot support via email(Telling me to install Silverlight is not helpful) I was forced to let my webroot expire and will not be renewing. Ever

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I will check on my Win 8.1 VM and reply back!

Thanks,

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Internet Explorer on Windows 7 does not support the encrypted HTML5. It works for you because you are using Silverlight.

On Windows 8 you don't need to have silverlight for Netflix. It should work using HTML5.

I have no intention of installing Silverlight for security reasons and as Webroot blocked netflix from working and I had absolutely no helpful replies from webroot support via email(Telling me to install Silverlight is not helpful) I was forced to let my webroot expire and will not be renewing. Ever

OK I couldn't even get to work on Win 8.1 with all updates and then I uninstalled WSA rebooted and still the same so what ever the problem is I don't think it has to do with WSA but a very strange issue indeed I even tried to use Silverlight and still no go. And I couldn't even get there from HTTP only HTTPS?

Daniel :@

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Well this is even more strange and still on Win 8.1 32bit no WSA installed I can't get to run on Firefox & Chrome as well? Anyone with Win 8.1 can you chime in if you have Netflix? I will try on my Win 8.1 64bit to see on that as well.

Thanks,

Daniel :@

EDIT: I'm asking other Microsoft MVP's via private channels so if I hear anything I will post.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Ha, ha you can tell I don't use Win 8.1 much you need to download the Netflix App from within Windows 8.1 via the Windows Store! http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-ca/app/d8d75bb2-c5cd-44f2-8c26-c1d1ae5b13fa it still doesn't work for me as I'm trying it in a VM.

Cheers,

Daniel ;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Hi Daniel I am just trying Netflix on Win 8.1 64bit with IE 11 all updates, no silverlight and it is working OK
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Hi Daniel I am just trying Netflix on Win 8.1 64bit with IE 11 all updates, no silverlight and it is working OK
Can you test HTML5 and not Silverlight via Netflix control panel? As I said it will not work in a VM.

Thanks,

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
I do not have Silverlight installed on here and I have just got it playing direct with no app, how do I access the control panel for Netflix. This is my wifes account and I do not use it personally.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
If you don't have Silverlight installed it must be HTML5? Have a look here:

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
No mention of HTML5 and this is all I see

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Thanks Jeff very odd, and as I can't test but have 2 VM's of Win 8.1 32bit & 64bit.

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Well at least we know that it can work with Webroot.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Well at least we know that it can work with Webroot.
Yes and thanks for testing!

Daniel 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Daniel I can confirn that it IS using HTML5, I went to close it and the box had changed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Excellent and Thanks again!

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 5
Badge +22
Hopefully, I'm not out-of-line here.

Win 7 pro 64 bit (not win 8.1)
IE 11
WSA 8.0.4.115
I have bee unable to run Neflix under Sandboxie.
Netflix settings set as Jasper_the_Rasper demonstrated.

My security settings are set fairly high for "internet" and higher than normal in "Trusted Sites."  However, by adding "http://www.netflix.com" to  "Trusted Sites" netflix works fine for me.  Without this, it netflix wants to install Silverlight.

On rare occassions I must follow these instructions, per Support. 
To clear some issues on a PC enter the following URL
netflix.com/clearcookies

Godspeed,
Jim