Solved

Malwarebytes PRO

• 12 October 2013
  • 20 replies

I recently stopped using Norton because it forcefully removed Malwarebytes pro while installing then let a load of PUP malware on one my my computers.

I installed webroot secure anywhere antivirus and thankfully it didn't uninstall malwarebytes.

I really want both malwarebytes pro realtime protection as well as webroot running together so I don't get another computer infested with potentially unwanted programs.

Is it safe to have both webroot and malwarebytes pro running side by side?
If not is there anyway to configure webroot to allow this?

icon

Best answer by RetiredTripleHelix 12 October 2013, 21:54

View original

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
WSA is explicitly designed to allow you to run more than one antivirus.
The usual advice is to turn down the self-protection setting in WSA, but I've never done that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
I use both WSA and Malwarebytes Pro with no issues at all.
@ wrote:
WSA is explicitly designed to allow you to run more than one antivirus.
The usual advice is to turn down the self-protection setting in WSA, but I've never done that.
Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm relieved I can keep malwarebytes as that picks up things antiviruses don't always consider to be harmful.

So if I wanted to I could even have windows 8's built in anti-virus running as well without any problems?

Thats good to know as I could switch that on occasionally to do scans.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
No, Windows 8 Defender is explicitly designed to not turn on real-time protection if another antivirus is registered on the system. You can not turn it on, even with Group Policy. However, you can do virus scans.

Unfortunately, I don't have the Windows API experience needed to explain why it is. It has to do with Defender potentially interfering with another AV solution, trying to do the same thing at the same time.

It's too bad, Windows Defender in Windows 8.1 actually brings some good stuff to the table. Commercial solutions are better than it, make no mistake - but if it was possible I'd like to be able to layer it like I could on Windows 7.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello Malacath and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums!

Yes you can run both without issues and if they both find an infection WSA will stand aside and not hook it an let MBAM remove it but if MBAM missed it then WSA would remove it that's how WSA can coexist with other security solutions but in the long run you will find that you don't need to have MBAM on and if MBAM does find an infection and WSA doesn't I would strongly suggest that you Submit a Support Ticket as they have free malware removal with and on going subscription. Also the best part is the Monitoring and Rollback feature in WSA please see this Video as an Example: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-Education/What-Happens-if-Webroot-quot-Misses-quot-a-Virus/ta-p/10202#.Ulmm9hBcUhw

Cheers,

TH  ;)
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
No, Windows 8 Defender is explicitly designed to not turn on real-time protection if another antivirus is registered on the system. You can not turn it on, even with Group Policy. However, you can do virus scans.

With the 2013 version you could by going into WSA and uncheck show in Action Center but I don't know why they removed it in the 2014 version?

Daniel
Thanks.

I was wondering why I couldn't activate defender. Now I know.

You say it's the 2014 version?

I ordered the 2013 version off amazon because it was half the price and covers 3 PC's instead of one.

Will the serial number codes with that work with the 2014 version(I'm using the trial) I probably have installed
Userlevel 7
Malacath, 

You mention Serial Number codes there.. does the back of the box have a Best Buy Serial Number on it that begins with WBR00?  If so, that key code may or may not be any good at all really.. those are supposed to work only when correctly activated at the Best Buy store at the time of original sale.
No I ordered off amazon UK earlier today. Obviously haven't received it yet.

I assumed it would have the same type of activation code you get if you ordered it online.

But the picture on the website has a box with anti-virus 2013 on it. I assumed the download version would be 2013 but obviously as said earlier it isn't,

I just want to know if the codes for the 2013 version can be used on the 2014 version or will I be stuck with the 2013 version of webroot
Userlevel 7
Good deal.  I know sometimes one can find too cheap to be true copies, and they wont work right.  Once you get yours as long it does NOT have that WRB00.............. on the back,  you should be good to go.  2013 key codes work just fine on the 2014.. in fact the 2013 cd will probably almost instantly upgrde the software to the 2014 upon install.

EDIT

And, if you have the trial version installed now, just put the 2013 key code into what you have installed now as is and it should work fine.

/EDIT
Ok thanks.

Are you saying WRB00 copies are fake?

And if I receive one of those I should be worried?
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Ok thanks.

Are you saying WRB00 copies are fake?

And if I receive one of those I should be worried?
The WBR00 copies are NOT fake, but they cannot be correctly activated by the user unless purchased directly from Best Buy.  They are actually activated with Webroot upon sale by the sales register and will not work otherwise.

If the copy you receive has that WBR00.....(Lots of numbers and letters..) on the back of the box, you will need to contact the Amazon seller for an exchange or refund.
Ok thanks.

As far as i'm aware there are no best buys in the UK and as it's from amazon UK I should hopefully get and official copy that activates properly.

Thanks everyone for all your help.
Userlevel 7
Hello Malacath and welcome to the Community. Enjoy the awesome combo of WSA and MBAM Pro. You'd be blown away with the speed, lightness and effectiveness of WSA.:)
Userlevel 6
@ - Would you mind providing me a link to the Amazon listing you bought your product from? We will be able to determine, and hopefully calm your nerves, about the authenticity of the product right away and take actions on our end if it is not (and of course, not leave you unprotected).

Richard
@ wrote:
@ - Would you mind providing me a link to the Amazon listing you bought your product from? We will be able to determine, and hopefully calm your nerves, about the authenticity of the product right away and take actions on our end if it is not (and of course, not leave you unprotected).

Richard
Thanks.

I received the product yesterday and it does appear to be genuine.

I have used the code that came with the disc successfully and now have a license to use webroot on 3 machines.

In case you still want to know here is the link

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-AntiVirus-Device-DVD/dp/B00B1MDMF6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382031508&sr=8-1&keywords=webroot

Userlevel 6
Thank you for the link. Could you go into the console and let me know how many days you have remaining on the product. It does look like you purchased from a third-party reseller, and I want to make sure you got what you were promised in the sale.
Sorry for the delay.

I have 364 days left
Userlevel 6
Wonderful.  I am glad you got a full license and are taken care of.  If you ever have any further questions, be sure to reach out to the communitiy more.  We have some amazing people in here always wanting to help out.

Richard
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Just to add to this:
The code base WSA is built on, PrevX, was a product literally sold as an add-on to put on top of another antivirus suite or for banks to give for free to their customers who already have security suites. I know this because at my company that's exactly what we did to bolster our degenerating security from one of the big AV companies.

The thing is literally programmed from the ground up for compatibility. And there's no better way to get a business customers to switch AV suites than telling them they don't even need to uninstall their old stuff. Some businesses buy it to just throw it on top of their corporate antivirus.

Interesting nugget I thought I'd share...