Solved

Memory leak

• 12 December 2018
  • 6 replies

I did a pc reset with my files kept, and when it finished, everything was normal. However, once I reinstalled Webroot and it did its system analyzer, it said firefox had a memory leak and explorer had a handle leak. This had never happened before when I did a pc reset, and I didn't do anything different from normal. Almost immediately, explorer stopped taking input, and i turned off the pc manually. when it came back on, it loaded normally, but the taskbar didn't come up, and none of my folders would open, after about 3 minutes, everything started working properly again, but webroot still says there might be leaks, and i'm afraid this might happen again. Am I worried over nothing or is there something I should do? Thank you in advance.

EDIT: my computer has become noticeably slower, with some programs not opening properly and needing to close.
icon

Best answer by TripleHelix 12 December 2018, 17:33

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +63
I wouldn't be concerned as to what System Analyzer has to say as it's just a basic tool and I see a memory leak from Firefox but there is nothing I can do to fix it. I don't use System Analyzer much......and now you know why.

HTH,
Thank you for the reply! Although explorer seems to be working just fine, firefox seems to be incredibly slow, even after unistalling, deleteing the folder, and reinstalling. Does that seem like a memory leak problem, or is that just something being wrong with firefox itself? Sometimes I open it and its fast, other times slow, and i don't know enough to know if that is somewhat normal.
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
@ wrote:
Thank you for the reply! Although explorer seems to be working just fine, firefox seems to be incredibly slow, even after unistalling, deleteing the folder, and reinstalling. Does that seem like a memory leak problem, or is that just something being wrong with firefox itself? Sometimes I open it and its fast, other times slow, and i don't know enough to know if that is somewhat normal.
Did you try a clean reinstall of WSA as it can solve most issues?

Please follow the steps closely!

• Make sure you have a copy of your 20 Character Alphanumeric Keycode! Example: SA69-AAAA-A783-DE78-XXXX
  • Be sure you add your Keycode to your Online Console: Webroot SecureAnywhere Online Console
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Geek Squad Subscription PC users click HERE) Let us know if it is the Mac version you need
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode and DO NOT import any old settings as you can set it up as you like once it's done
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again
Please let us know if that resolves your issue?

Thanks,
When I went to input my keycode, it says it can't be verified and to check if it's allowed to access the internet. I had already reinstalled multiple times, including a few hours ago, and this has never happened before.

EDIT: I was eventually able to install it, and now everything is working fine. Thank you for your help and patience with me!
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
Good to hear in the end you got WSA installed once again and if you continue to see slowness with Firefox you can always Submit a Support Ticket as it's possible you may need some Unknown files whitelisted in the Webroot Cloud Database or they can see an issue within your scan log.

Thanks,
Badge +1

what are the implications or impacts on my PC of a “memory leak” or “handle leak” ?

I uses windows 10 on my HP and Chrome.

Thanks