minor annoyance under Win 7

• 22 February 2014
  • 11 replies

Hello and thanks to Webroot for several years of utterly virus free computing!

Thanks to MSFT's greedy enforced obsolesence, I now have a new PC and am running Win 7 Pro 64 bit.WRSA seems to work fine, but for some reason it didn't install itself to start automatically whenever the computer is turned on. I managed to get it to launch via startup, but it first generates the Win message asking for confirmation that the software can "make changes to my computer".

Any thoughts what might be off here? I don't mind having to click the allow changes dialog box everytime I power up... but I am concerned that other users of the computer (once I allow some) will be afraid to click yes on that box.  Thanks for reading.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi irendi

Welcome to the Community Forums...:D

Very strange...if this is a relatively new installation and WSA has been behaving that way since install then I would recommend that you do an uninstall, reboot and then undertake a clean install (making sure that you say 'NO' to any offer from the installer to import previous settings).  Also make sure that you have your keycode to hand as yo wil need to entere it at the start of the install.  YOu can download a new copy of the installer from here.

Sometimes an install does not go right and that can be cured by the reinstall...give that a try and post back to let us know if that has resolved things for you, and if not then we will have to look at somethinmg else.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 4
Also, when installing it, please make sure you right click on the installer EXE file then choose Run As Administrator
Thank you Maximus, I think I didn't do that when I originally installed. However, I can't uninstall. There's no listing for webroot in the control panel, but I could run the uninstaller from the start menu. Then I get an error message about not being logged in as an administrator (which I am). At which point I get the dialog box to start the uninstaller; when I enter the code WRSA activates itself again. Then the installer goes through, I get the feedback screen for Webroot, then finish the uninstall. Then WRSA activates itself again. Etc. At some point along the line I get a Win message telling me that WRSA has stopped responding. And this:

Problem signature: Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: WRSA.exe Application
Version: 8.0.4.46
Application Timestamp: 52d48574
Fault Module Name: WRSA.exe
Fault Module Version: 8.0.4.46
Fault Module Timestamp: 52d48574
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000fa72d
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

So, I guess at this point I need to get WRSA uninstalled so I can start over.
Userlevel 7
Hi ierendi

If you cannot use the normal uninstall tool then you should click the Start Button and in the Search & Program Files box enter 'cmd'.  That should bring up an option to run the command prompt.  Right click on the 'cmd' icon and again from the context menu displayed click on 'Run as Administrator' and in the command prompt right click and paste the following command:

"C:Program FilesWebrootWRSA.exe" -uninstall

Then press Enter and that should initiate the uninstall process; you will have to confirm you want to uninstall and then enter the CAPTCHA code requested to complete the uninstall.

Let us know how you get on or if you need further help with the above or anything else.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello ierendi and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums!

Click the Start Button and Click run and use this to uninstall. "C:Program FilesWebrootWRSA.exe" –uninstall and use Baldrick's link to download a clean copy and reboot after uninstalling and Reboot after reinstalling and let us know if that fixes your issue.

Thanks,

TH

EDIT: Baldrick beat me to it ! LOL

Userlevel 7
Hi Daniel

That must be one of the few times that I have managed to get ahead of Ol' Quick Draw TH...;)

Would you not agree, Daniel, that if what we have suggested does not allow a clean uninstall that irendi should Open a Support Ticket inlcuding the detail in this post, so that the Support Team can take a look at this?

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I was looking for the uninstall prompt and then I was to late! :p

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:

Would you not agree, Daniel, that if what we have suggested does not allow a clean uninstall that irendi should Open a Support Ticket inlcuding the detail in this post, so that the Support Team can take a look at this?

Yes right on!

Daniel 😉
Thanks both, back from dinner to try again.
OK, those commands just launch WRSA again. Off to file a support ticket. Thanks for your assistance.
Userlevel 7
Hi ierendi

Sorry to hear that you still have the issue.  This is indeed strange...I, for one, have never come across this...but I firmly believe that it is to do with a corrupted install.

Do let us know what the Support Team diagnose, and what they do if they suggest and do a remote session with you to investigate (they have done a couple with me and always resolved the issues).  What you can feed back will be useful to us here in case we have users in the future with a similar problem.

Have a great weekend.

Regards, Baldrick