Solved

Misinformation by Webroot Moderator

• 17 July 2014
  • 5 replies

11 months ago I posted a question about my webroot software. I purchased a Webroot SecureAnywhere subscription on Ebay for one year of service. The software worked fine but it did not list my subscription as "Activated" under my Webroot account. 

I was toldby Jim M, a since retired moderator that the software would not work for much longer.

This advice by Jim M, was false, a lie. My software has worked fine for 11 months and will expire in the next few weeks.

Soon after, JIm M. blocked the thread I started, knowing he was not being forthcoming and I now see why.

If the moderators want to block this thread from telling the pubic the truth, then so be it. I paid for my software, and I do not appreciate you spreading false information about your software. 

It is LEGAL for others to purchase your product and then later sell it to the public at a discount. 

IT may annoy you but please stop spreading lies.

Thank you and have a nice day.
icon

Best answer by nic 17 July 2014, 17:14

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Sorry to hear that you got misinformed.  Jim's actually moved on from this position and I've replaced him as the community manager, so I can't follow up with him to find out more.  It's possible that he was going off the best information he had at the time.  Just to be safe you're probably better off buying keycodes from Newegg or some other retailer that has discounts frequently, rather than Ebay.  While you got the full year out of it this time, we've made some upgrades to our keycode & licensing tracking, so next time the Ebay keycode might actually get de-activated as Jim was suggesting.
Userlevel 5
I'll second avoiding buying software off ebay, you're never 100% sure what you'll end up getting. Typically newegg runs amazing deals on webroot a few times a year (that even beat what I can get with my Webroot Ambassador perk)
Userlevel 7

@ wrote:
11 months ago I posted a question about my webroot software. I purchased a Webroot SecureAnywhere subscription on Ebay for one year of service. The software worked fine but it did not list my subscription as "Activated" under my Webroot account. 

I was toldby Jim M, a since retired moderator that the software would not work for much longer.

This advice by Jim M, was false, a lie. My software has worked fine for 11 months and will expire in the next few weeks.

Soon after, JIm M. blocked the thread I started, knowing he was not being forthcoming and I now see why.

If the moderators want to block this thread from telling the pubic the truth, then so be it. I paid for my software, and I do not appreciate you spreading false information about your software. 

It is LEGAL for others to purchase your product and then later sell it to the public at a discount. 

IT may annoy you but please stop spreading lies.

Thank you and have a nice day.
Hello Sisophous!

Welcome back to the community!

Sorry to hear about your experience.

In addition to Nic's suggestion, if you are looking for a "Deal" on Webroot products, Amazon is another source as well as Walmart.  Check the Webroot website and PCMagazine for special offers to purchase directly from Webroot.

On E-Bay there are some retailers, however the majority of the "Deals" are individuals who are not authorized to sell Webroot.

I do hope you will continue using Webroot. It is the best protection out there for your devices.

Please come back often and enjoy the community!

Beth

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I checked the prices at Amazon and it is around $50 for three devices for a year. Walmart is selling it for $40.

I seldom make a purchase on Ebay for any item costing more than $10 because you never know exactly what you will get. The Ebay SecureAnywhere software does protect your computer as well as if I purchased it directly from Webroot. What they lack is support from Webroot should your computer get infected with a virus. Webroot will not provide support if your account is not "Activated". 

I was just annoyed at a number of people on a thread I started last year who insisted that my software would never work for the entire subscription when that proved to be false.

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I checked the prices at Amazon and it is around $50 for three devices for a year. Walmart is selling it for $40.

I seldom make a purchase on Ebay for any item costing more than $10 because you never know exactly what you will get. The Ebay SecureAnywhere software does protect your computer as well as if I purchased it directly from Webroot. What they lack is support from Webroot should your computer get infected with a virus. Webroot will not provide support if your account is not "Activated". 

I was just annoyed at a number of people on a thread I started last year who insisted that my software would never work for the entire subscription when that proved to be false.

It was probably an honest mistake - I always go by Hanlon's razor :)  Anyway, hopefully you'll have better luck buying through retail channels.