my cpu is constantly at 100% - just started today. cursor always loading....

• 28 October 2016
  • 5 replies

All of a sudden my CPU usage is almost always maxed out at 95 to 100%.

When I look in task manager it is always jumping around so I can't even determine what process is causing the load.

Webroot scan says not virus or spyware but other internet comments state something is running which is hidden....... what should i do next?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello forkcjones,

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

Would you please do a uninstall/reinstall of Webroot to see if Webroot is the cause.

Please follow the steps closely!

• Make sure you have a copy of your 20 Character Alphanumeric Keycode! Example: SA69-AAAA-A783-DE78-XXXX
  • Be sure you add your Keycode to your Online Console: Webroot SecureAnywhere Online Console
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Geek Squad Subscription PC users click HERE) Let us know if it is the Mac version you need.
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode and do NOT import any settings if offered by the installer as you can set it up as you like once it's done
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again
Please let us know if that resolves your issue? If you want you could also Submit a Support Ticket which is free of charge with your Webroot subscription.

Thanks,
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi, forkcjones,
In addition to Ssherjj's suggestion I would open task manager and then click on the Performance tab at the bottom of this window click on 'Open Resource Monitor' this will bring up the window shown below, On that window select the CPU tab at the top then click the column title indicated on the image below, this will tell you what processes are using the CPU from highest to lowest.

?
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Thank you for the assistance ? much appreciated!;)
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
No problem ? glad I could help. ;)
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Thanks  everybody.  This answers another of those questions I didn't know I had until I read the solution.:D  kind of like on JEOPARDY:D