My son received a threat detected message in Internet Explorer.

• 18 October 2015
  • 2 replies

While on Youtube, we recieved a popup stating malware was detected and there was a blue screen error #333. this bluescreen was only within the Explorer window.It stated that we should call an 1-844-396-3227 number to assist. We, of course, assumed that it was not legit. An online search made us curious if the popup was a random online occurance or possibly a bug in our system that could create further issues. I have scanned a few times with WebRoot and no threats have been detected.
This occured on a Windows 7 system

Shoukd I just chalk it up as a random online pop up or persue this in any other way.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello there, welcome to the Community!

You were very correct in thinking it a scam.. it certainly is.  That is NOT a WInows system message of any sort LOL, though they do try to make you think that it is.  Often these are actually from a web page, so perhaps an ad that was clicked on actually brought the browser to that site.

Do not worry too much about it.  If you see it again, then I would submit a Trouble Ticket  to let Support take a quick look to find what is bringing it up, but it isn't a virus.

I hope this helps,
Thank you for the fast reply.