My Webroot firewall and Windows 10

My webrood firewall is blocked and won't run on Windows 10. Is there a fix for that?

26 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello and welcome to the Community.

The firewall portion of WSA does not run under Windows 8, 8.1 or Windows 10.  This is because Microsoft has built those OS's to not allow 3rd party firewalls to actually do anything, the built in Windows Firewall handles all of it.  There is no need to enable the WSA Firewall on those operating systems, nor can it be done.
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
Hi David

Thanks for the concise explanation of this topic. As a user of Win 7, I wasn't aware of this matter until it was raised in another thread but there is one point that I would like clarifying. The existinig Webroot User Guide states: 

"The SecureAnywhere firewall monitors data traffic traveling out of your computer ports. It looks for untrusted processes that try to connect to the Internet and steal your personal information. It works with the Windows firewall, which monitors data traffic coming into your computer. With both the SecureAnywhere and Windows firewall turned on, your data has complete inbound and outbound protection."

What I would like to know is how does Win 10 monitor outgoing traffic? Since most programs require internet access I'm sure that  it doesn't alert the user every time this happens (in the same way that WSA doesn't) but I would like the WR take on whether they consider that outgoing connections are monitored as effectively under Win 8/10 as they are under Win 7.

Regards

Nemo

Userlevel 7
No worries.. I am also 'missing' the firewall control over the last two weeks myself LOL.  I was on Windows 7 too!

From the past posts since Windows 8 came out, as far as I know the Windows firewall does indeed work sufficiently, but perhaps ? will drop in and help me out here.  He is FAR more familiar with this area than I am 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
Thanks David - I'm not that concerned as I'm staying with Win 7 for now! :D

However I would appreciate @'s input on this. It seems to me that if WR thought it desireable to tweak the Win7 firewall settings, then it follows that the settings under Win8/10 are not optimum as far as WR are concerned. I realise that there is not much they can do about it but would like a view on whether the Windows firewall is now adequate as it is or whether it might be desireable to try a third party firewall. I am really happy with the current unobtrusive firewall arrangement that WR & Win7 provide as I previously found the pop-ups from TP firewalls very annoying and don't want to add another one if I can help it when I finally move to Win10.

Nemo
Userlevel 7
Well, in preparation for a better reply from TripleHelix, I will say VERY basically that in Windows 7, Microsoft Firewall only monitors inbound connections, not outbound, and so the Webroot Firewall monitors outbound connections only, not inbound.  The two actually work together.

Starting with Windows 8, Microsoft Firewall also monitors outbound connections as well. The OS is designed so that only Microsoft firewall is actually doing any of the work.  There have been othe 3rd party firewall programs that appear to work with Windows 8, but they do not actually control a Firewall: they are merely a different interface that connects to and uses the Windows Firewall.  Webroot made the choice that there is no need to needlessly bloat WSA with an interface to use in WIndows 8 and up as the goal here is to keep the software as not only the best AV around, but also the smallest and fastest.

:)
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
Thanks for the input.

I hadn't appreciated that Win 8 started monitoring outgoing connections as well as incoming, so it seems reasonable that WR needs not get involved. Having said that, my understanding is that Win 8/10 allow all outgoing connections by default but presumably block anything considered malicious? 

A quick search has unearthed Windows Firewall Notifier which is presumably one of the TP programs that can be installed to easily see what is being allowed and to block traffic if desired.

Nemo
Userlevel 7
Hi Guys

I do not understand this 'Windows Firewall under Windows 7 does not monitor outbound connections'; either I am hallucinating or you are missing something as when I run 'Windows Firewall with Advanced Security'  under Windows 7 I see this:

Am I misunderstanding something here?

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Baldrick, 

Did I get it backwards?  Under Windows 7 as I recall, Windows Firewall handles communication in one direction, WSA in the other.  Is it the opposite of what I stated?
Userlevel 7
Hi Nemo

Windows Firewall Notifier is more than just a TP program.  I have investigated these including WFN and would be happy to share with you outside the Community as it is contrary to Community Guidelines to discuss other security products...but could provide info via PMs if that would be of use to you.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Baldrick, 

Did I get it backwards?  Under Windows 7 as I recall, Windows Firewall handles communication in one direction, WSA in the other.  Is it the opposite of what I stated?
Hi David

I think not.  Windows Firewall, as far as I know works both ways it is just that Webroot believe that it works better on the inbound side than the outbound side so they have chosen to leave it dealing with the inbound and they have concentrated on the outbound side of things.  The Windows Firewall outbound is still active and can block is the Webroot Firewall component of WSA misses something (unlikely I know)...they just play very well together.

But perhaps Daniel will, as you suggested earlier, straighten us all out on this eventually.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Thanks Baldrick.  I admit, and always have, that the Firewall component is what I understand the very least.  I set it to on.  It has been, as we all know, far too long since I was really active on here, and my memory on the exact workings of the Firewall are hazy at the very best.
Userlevel 7
Hi David

No worries...I occassionally have brain fade myself (especially with my advancing years...:D).

As I said to Nemo...I have investigatged the area due to wanting further granular and easier to digest control of the Windows Firewall and so have explored a number of options to achieve that (and have settled on a very good one that in fact provides all the visibility I need when running Windows 8/8.1 or 10).

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
Thanks for your input Baldrick. I would be interested in your choice of options for control over the windows firewall, so a PM would be appreciated but there's no urgency on my part.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Windows always had a 2 way Firewall since Windows XP here is some history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Firewall and since Windows 8.1 see what was said here in this thread in the Idea's exchange: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Ideas-Exchange/Outbound-connections-fw-control-in-Win-8-Win-8-1/idi-p/60003 and note what was quoted by Joe back then: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Ideas-Exchange/Outbound-connections-fw-control-in-Win-8-Win-8-1/idc-p/61945#M1836

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
?  Perfect.  Thank you!!  Also my apologies for all of the confusion above due to my own lack of correct understanding on this feature 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
Thanks TrilpleHelix - I can see that this is going over old ground and appreciate your digging up the links to explain the background. It's beginning to make more sense to me now.  😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Also if you do have a unknown infection say a Keylogger WSA's Firewall will stop the malware from calling out so it's still working but you just don't see anything it's a smart firewall!

Thanks,

Daniel ;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Also my apologies for all of the confusion above due to my own lack of correct understanding on this feature :(
Nonsense buddy!
My issue with all of this is Webroot is trying to sell this as "Oh, the firewall is still there even if you don't see it working" Its a smart firewall. I purchased a product and paid 5 years upfront because I believed in it and the outbound granular firewall control was part of that. Webroot is blaming Microsoft yet other third party developers have products that cover granular outbound control of the Windows 10 firewall. All I want to know is when does Webroot refund users who purchased this product not only because of its unique protection capabilities but also for that granular firewall control that allowed me to decide what gets out and what does not? Also, just as important to me was what gets out permanently or just once. Big selling points for me personally. If I wanted a smart firewall where I have no input then I would have bought another product.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
My issue with all of this is Webroot is trying to sell this as "Oh, the firewall is still there even if you don't see it working" Its a smart firewall. I purchased a product and paid 5 years upfront because I believed in it and the outbound granular firewall control was part of that. Webroot is blaming Microsoft yet other third party developers have products that cover granular outbound control of the Windows 10 firewall. All I want to know is when does Webroot refund users who purchased this product not only because of its unique protection capabilities but also for that granular firewall control that allowed me to decide what gets out and what does not? Also, just as important to me was what gets out permanently or just once. Big selling points for me personally. If I wanted a smart firewall where I have no input then I would have bought another product.
@ WSA still has a outbound firewall but it's a smart firewall and will block malware calling out to the command center if you ever get a unknown infection and will pop-up to let you know even if you don't see the settings within WSA on Windows 8 or Windows 10 and with Windows Firewall you have full inbound and outbound protection as it says here!

The SecureAnywhere firewall monitors data traffic traveling out of your computer ports. It looks for untrusted processes that try to connect to the Internet and steal your personal information. It works with the Windows firewall, which monitors data traffic coming into your computer. With both the SecureAnywhere and Windows firewall turned on, your data has complete inbound and outbound protection. http://www.webroot.com/En_US/SecureAnywhere/PC/WSA_PC_Help.htm#C4_Firewall/CH4a_ManagingFirewall.htm

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Badge +8
Hi ?,

So Webroot monitors outbound traffic and Windows Firewall monitors inbound traffic. Am I getting this? At least that is how Windows Firewall came configured. I feel like I openned a can of worms with this question! :@

It's also discussed under "Firewall does not show the options........

Many thanks,
Theresa
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Hi @,

So Webroot monitors outbound traffic and Windows Firewall monitors inbound traffic. Am I getting this? At least that is how Windows Firewall came configured. I feel like I openned a can of worms with this question! :@

It's also discussed under "Firewall does not show the options........

Many thanks,
Theresa
Hi Theresa,

Both Windows Firewall and WSA's smart Firewall monitors outbound traffic and if you happen to have unknown malware WSA's firewall will block it from calling out to it's command center! Also Window Firewall protects your inbound traffic and it's very good on Win 8 & Win 10 so no need to duplicate the Windows Firewall API's as said by JoeJ here: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Ideas-Exchange/Outbound-connections-fw-control-in-Win-8-Win-8-1/idi-p/60003
____________________________________________________________________________________________
PrevxHelp( JoeJ, VP of Development ) wrote:

The firewall in Windows 8 is much easier to work with than previous platforms because of the built in OS controls. Every vendor needs to use the same APIs now (the older methods are deprecated), but that's exactly why we aren't doing it currently - no matter what vendor wraps the APIs, it will be exactly the same underlying calls which are built into the OS, and you can use the OS UI to do the same job if you want to customize it.

The reason why we have the functionality on Windows 7 and not Windows 8 is because Microsoft doesn't expose the same normalized interfaces on Windows 7 (or require vendors to use the new APIs).
______________________________________________________________________________________
And from Webroot's online helpfile: http://www.webroot.com/En_US/SecureAnywhere/PC/WSA_PC_Help.htm#C4_Firewall/CH4a_ManagingFirewall.htm

Managing the firewall

The SecureAnywhere firewall monitors data traffic traveling out of your computer ports. It looks for untrusted processes that try to connect to the Internet and steal your personal information. It works with the Windows firewall, which monitors data traffic coming into your computer. With both the SecureAnywhere and Windows firewall turned on, your data has complete inbound and outbound protection.
You should not turn off either the Windows firewall or the SecureAnywhere firewall. If they are disabled, your system is open to many types of threats whenever you connect to the Internet or to a network. These firewalls can block malware, hacking attempts, and other online threats before they can cause damage to your system or compromise your security.
The SecureAnywhere firewall is preconfigured to filter traffic on your computer. It works in the background without disrupting your normal activities. If the firewall detects any unrecognized traffic, it opens an alert where you can block the traffic or allow it to proceed.

HTH,

Daniel 😉
Badge +8
Hey Daniel,
You are correct about WF but there are so many rules and many I do not recognize, how do I know which are safe? Did these rules come out of the box along with popups asking me if ok?

Many thanks for your help.
Theresa:womanembarrassed:
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Hey Daniel,
You are correct about WF but there are so many rules and many I do not recognize, how do I know which are safe? Did these rules come out of the box along with popups asking me if ok?

Many thanks for your help.
Theresa:womanembarrassed:
Yes Windows Firewall is great out of the Box and yes if a questionable app wants in or out in will ask you but I have not seen many over the years.

Daniel 😉
Badge +8
Many thanks Daniel.  At least it will simmer my worried mind!;)
T