Solved

My Webroot has stopped working for no apparent reason.

• 9 November 2015
  • 40 replies

Userlevel 2
this is the most confusing website I have encounterwd.....it's obvious webroot does not want to talk to anyone
icon

Best answer by palanuk 11 November 2015, 20:36

View original

40 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello ?,

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

I am sorry to hear of the issue that you are experiencing

Are you using a Windows PC? If so would you please follow these instructions below to correct the issue?

Please follow the steps closely!

• Make sure you have a copy of your 20 Character Alphanumeric Keycode! Example: SA69-AAAA-A783-DE78-XXXX
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Subscription PC users click HERE)
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode and don't import any settings if asked to as you can set it up as you like once it's done
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again
Please let us know if that resolves your issue?

Thanks,

? Here is the Webroot Getting Started Guide. We really are here to help as we are Volunteers who do the best we can.;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +36
"this is the most confusing website I have encounterwd.....it's obvious webroot does not want to talk to anyone"

Hello palanuk...........................we sure do want to talk to you, our apologies, and welcome to the HELP forums. We are all volunteers here and do lead somewhat nomal lives, and like to eat occasionally, so sometimes we can't get to the people fast enough....................but rest assured, each one of us WebRooters is one part of a dedicated TEAM.
Userlevel 2
I clicked on "download" then went to my download file and clicked on the webroot icon and nothing happened.
Badge +8
Hi @,

Could you try and right click the downloaded icon and select "run as administrator"?

That should get it started. Please write back if that fails also.

Thanks,
Theresa
@ wrote:
I clicked on "download" then went to my download file and clicked on the webroot icon and nothing happened.

Hi ?

Edit: I see ? beat me to it 🙂 I'll leave this for reference.

Apparently the file did not download correctly. Please choose correct version.

Download (PC)   

Download (Best Buy Subscription) 

Once the file downloads you will click on it. 

It's called "wsainstall.exe"

Have your 20 digit key code ready.

Please let us know how you do,

BD
Userlevel 7
There should be no need to run the installer under Admin rights, that is only of use/required when running the command line uninstaller, although it would not run to run the installler in that mode.

I am with BD in that it sounds like that download was not successful and that it is best to redownload from one of the recommeded sites, and then try again.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 2
Right clicked on the icon and clicked run as administrator....nothing happened.
Userlevel 2
I have downloaded it 6 times with the same results....when i click on the icon in the download file, nothing happens
Userlevel 2
I have downloaded it 6 times with the same results. I downloaded it and right clicked to run as the administrator...same thing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
How long have you been using Webroot? Can you give us some of your machine specs and the OS you are using?.........................you mention clicking on the downloaded file! Are you double clicking the install file?
Badge +8
@ wrote:
I have downloaded it 6 times with the same results. I downloaded it and right clicked to run as the administrator...same thing.
Hi @,  I am truly sorry that the install is taking up so much of your time. Is this your first purchase of Webroot? There may be some left over files that are interfering with a clean install. When you go to Programs/Repair or uninstall, does Webroot show up in the list? If so, I would uninstall the version already on your computer. If not, go to the downloaded copy and delete it or them. Reboot. Go to the link that Burndaddy specifies and download either version. Once the download is complete, go ahead and install. I am confident that this will work. Many people are trying to help you and we will find out what has happened or forward this to tech support. Please try this once more if you have the time.

Many thanks,
Theresa
Userlevel 7
I think ? is right, you may need to uninstall before the download will work.  If there is a version of WSA already installed, the install download will either simply open the program, or do nothing at all.

If you are not able to find Webroot in the Control Panel, Programs and Features to uninstall it, please let us know.

:)
Userlevel 2
I checked the list of programs and webroot is there. I click on it and then clicked uninstall and it came back sayimg I had to log on as an administrator in order to uninstall it. Not sure how to doo that.
Userlevel 2
I've beenusing webroot for a long time....back when it was called Window Washer.... my OS is Windows 8.1... I doubled clicked on the icon and the blue "donut" rotated 3 - 4 times then tturned off.
Userlevel 7
Usually on a Windows computer it is set up so that there is a user that is an Administrator user.  Is your Windows profile the only one on the computer, or is there another profile?
Userlevel 2
Only one profile that I'm aware of...never had this problem over the last 3 years owning this particular computer.
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
Do you have the Webroot icon in your task bar? If so RightClick it  and select Shutdown Protection. Then try Uninstall again???
Badge +8
@ wrote:
Hi @,

Could you try and right click the downloaded icon and select "run as administrator"?

That should get it started. Please write back if that fails also.

Thanks,
Theresa
@ wrote:

@ I was hoping for an error message when she tried to run as adminstrator, I realize it was not necessary in the end result but I was looking for additional info. It seems to be a complex issue here.
Userlevel 2
I have Webroot onmy Task Bar....I right clicked it but "Shutdown Protection" was not an option. A window came up and the only two items were "Webroot Secure Anywhere" and "Unpin this program from Taskbar"
Userlevel 2
I right clicked the Webroot icon in my Download File and clicked on "Run As Administrator" and nothing happened.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I right clicked the Webroot icon in my Download File and clicked on "Run As Administrator" and nothing happened.
Yes, that is expected.  As noted previously, if WSA is already installed then the download can't install as it is already installed.  

Try to follow the directions in this KB Article regarding how to deactivate a PC.  If you are able to access the Console and follow the directions, please reboot the computer when you are done.  

See if that will remove WSA so that we can then get it re-installed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
"I right clicked the Webroot icon in my Download File and clicked on "Run As Administrator" and nothing happened"

Hi palanuk..............I asked if you had a Webroot Icon on your task bar, over near the Clock/Calendar? If so right click it and choose Shut Down Protection....then try to Uninstall from the Control panel again!

Userlevel 7
?, Lyle, if the Console command to deactivate works, there will be no need of a Trouble Ticket.  I think the OP should give the commands a try first... Trouble Ticket after if that also fails.  (Usually I think the Console Command will fire and execute without the need of Admin permission by the user, but we will see.)
Userlevel 2
The Webroot icon is on the left side of the tool bar...there is nothing on the right side by the clock/calendar. I did right click on the toolbar icon but "Shut Down Protection" was not an option.
Userlevel 2
EUREKA!!!!!!!!!
De-activated the computer....re-booted....downloaded Webroot and it worked. Can't thank you enough...that was some marathon!