Solved

Net Nanny Conflict

• 7 October 2012
  • 13 replies

Hi i installed Webroot on my son's computer and then installed net nanny.  After a day or so; all access is blocked to the internet.  If i uninstall net nanny access is restored.  I have spoken with netnanny support and tried reinstalling with webroot disabled - however, the same issue keeps coming up.  Net nanny support suggested i check with Webroot to see if this issue could be resolved.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
icon

Best answer by MikeR 10 October 2012, 18:53

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello kgalloway and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums!

Can you please contact the WSA support inbox and they can have a closer look at your issue https://www.webrootanywhere.com/servicewelcome.asp?

Thanks,

TH
Userlevel 7
Hello kgalloway, Welcome to the Webroot Community Forum. 😃
Userlevel 7
Thanks TripleHelix,

The support system is indeed your best route as issues like this are usually resolved by whitelisting a program.
Hi,

I'm having exactly the same issue with NetNanny and have emailed Webroot support, I'll post back with a resolution, hopefully!

Gooner
Userlevel 7
Hello Gooner, Welcome to the Webroot Community Forum. :D
Let us know what Support has to say when they fix the issue, Thanks for posting.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello Gooner and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums.  ;)

TH
Hi all, thought I'd share my latest email to WR support, any ideas would be appreciated....

[This error occurs when a scan, followed by a reboot takes place. If the scheduled scan is turned off the problem doesn't occur but the system isn't scanned!!!]

Regards,
Simon

Hi,

I've made some further discoveries that you may find useful....

When Netnanny is running and I perform a scan I have noticed the following (well over 100) scan log entries:

"Removed invalid LSP chain entry: C:windowssystem32cwalsp.dll"
"Replaced the invalid LSP chain due to malware corruption"

Plus a number of "SLevel updated to" [a string of numbers] messages

The LSP changes are clearly the problem here, as when I run a "netsh winsock reset" the issue is resolved.

I therefore unchecked the Core System Shield setting to "Verify the integrity of the LSP chain and other system structures" and re ran the scan, followed by a reboot. No problems were encountered :-)

Although this is a decent temporary solution, I'd appreciate a proper fix to this issue.

Regards,
Simon
Userlevel 7
Hey Gooner,

One of our escalation engineers is assisting with your support ticket and they will respond through the ticket system. Although Net Nanny is intended for "good" use, it can be used for nefarious purposes and we may be monitoring it. I think it is best that we wait for the escalation engineers input on this matter.

Update: NetNanny was modifying part of the LSP chain which looked like malware to our software. Preventative measures are in place to avoid future detections. Please report any future issues on the system.
On two computers on which I have installed WSA -IS+, I have lost all ability to access the internet, including the use of IE, Firefox and Google Chrome. I submitted a ticket yestday, but haven't heard back (not sure how long it is supposed to take to get a response). Anyway, I also have Net Nanny installed on both computers, so I am wondering if that is the cause of my problems. However, this thread does not show any solution for the problem. Can anybody tell me what the fix is for this or does Net Nanny not have anything to do with why I don't have internet access.

FYI - All networking equipment is working properly. I even took my laptop to work to use the company's wireless and still the same issue. Therefore, I believe I have isolated the problem to software on the computers, and b/c the issue arose immediately to shortly after installing WSA, I have to think my WSA setting have something to do with it.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Userlevel 7
Support tickets are usually handled within 24 hours. Can you please check your Identity Shield to see if any processes are set to "Deny". Open SecureAnywhere>click Identity & Privacy>click View/Edit Protected Applications. If they are, and you know that you can trust the program or application that is being denied, you can set it to "Allow".

Your support ticket will be responded to and I will add any details from our interaction here on the Community.

Thank you for your patience and for joining the forum. 😃
Thanks for the response. The only applications showing are my 3 browsers (Firefox, Chrome and IE) and all are set to "protect".

I got a response from support about 40hrs after my initial inquiry with the basic q's (did your initial scan show any problems? A: No. Can you access the internet with other computers? A: Yes).

FYI - My initial inquiry to support was simply inability to access the internet. It wasn't until I started poking around here that I saw the Net Nanny connection. Still not sure if Net Nanny is the issue, but I did mention it in my response to support.

Thanks again for the response. Trying to work it from two angles hoping to get it fixed. Having both computers blocked from the internet is a big inconvenience as you can imagine. Luckily, I can get my Web fix at work, but my wife is not so lucky.
Userlevel 7
Is Net Nanny being blocked or monitored when you click System Tools>click System Control>click Start under Control Active Processes?

Please name any processes that are being blocked/monitored. You can Send me a Private Message if you do not want to post them in the thread.
Thanks again.

WUDFHost.exe in C:Windowssystem32 is "monitored"

Everything else is "allow"