No green arrows on yahoo search

• 15 November 2013
  • 16 replies

I would like an update on status as to when the green arrows from webroot will start reappearing. i switch from IE for several reasons to Firefox via help from the Geek Squad, one of the minor reasons was the missing green arrows that use to, but no longer appear when make a research via the Yahoo search engine. Now using Firefox, they still are not being displayed. Although the Geek Squad said that webroot is still functioning properly, it brings a reassurance to my family seeing those familar green arrows to show that a website is safe. I know that Google does not show them because in its web address, it starts with https, just as this site does. I have read posts about this same question, but was amazed that the Geek Squad was not aware of this situation; that is, the cause of the green arrows not appearing. I might say that because of certain issues, I had to seek the Geek Squad asistance twice within four days, and the technicians I consulted with, all were not aware of this green arrow situation. They did everything to bring the green arrows back, but in one case the technician said it might be a comptability program with IE, then Firefox. Your update on this would be appreciated, and do think the Geek Squad should be informed so as not to have them do unnecessary work in trying to resolve an issues, that is really not an issue, but apparently one in which will resolve itself via a program update in webroot.

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello Rabon and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums.

Here is a thread explaining that the new Web Shield is still being roll out slowly still just be patient please. https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Complete/Web-Site-Evaluation-Doesn-t-Show/td-p/62565#.UoZri-IZlOc

HTH,

Daniel 😉
Okay, i looked through the threat provided, but what is curious is the fact that much of the messages I read were from a month ago. You say to be patient, yes I am quite a patient person and do have faith in webroot in doing its job, but does it take a month to resolve this issue? And has the Geek Squad been informed about what is going on? I say this last thing in order to stop them from fruitlessly try to solve a problem that is not a problem.

Thanks so much.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
It's not an issue the 2014 Web Shield is brand new and they are keeping an eye on the roll out to 30 + Million users to have the best experience possible but you are still protected with the current Web Shield and WSA has many other Shields to protect you and you're family.

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
And has the Geek Squad been informed about what is going on? I say this last thing in order to stop them from fruitlessly try to solve a problem that is not a problem.

Thanks so much.
I'm not sure as I'm a Volunteer maybe a Webroot staff member can confirm? @  @ 

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Looking into this now and should have an answer shortly.

Once we know what's going on, we'll definitely let the Geek Squad know. We have a great relationship with them and like to give them information as soon as we have it. Thanks for bringing this to our attention in the meantime! Stay tuned.
Userlevel 7
Hi Rabon

Welcome to the Community. :D

I have to say that I am a little confused by what you are reporting as when I run FF with the Threat Shield properly installed I am getting the green ticks not only against Yahoo searches but also against Google searches, so I am thinking that I ma misunderstanding you somewhere.

I also have to say that I had been having a problem with getting the Threat Shield installed under FF (no such issue with IE) but thanks to a suggestion by explanoit (subject of another thread) all is all now up and running.

Would you be able to be more precise as to the issue you have?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Baldrick

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
With the old Web Shield it still should show green checks on HTTP on Yahoo & Bing searches also Google is now forcing HTTPS so it will not show any check marks so Baldrick could be right and you would need to try a clean reinstall. Please Download the Best Buy Version Here and make sure you have a copy of your keycode then Uninstall and Reboot then install with the new installer and let it finish it's install scan after that Reboot again and then check http://www.yahoo.com and http://www.bing.com to see if the Check Marks return and let us know. If you need more info please check this web page: http://www.webroot.com/us/en/home/products/geeksquad-dl

Thanks,

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Hi Daniel

I am wondering if this is another case of the issue I had re. FF which Lucas advised was down to a bug in the installer not being able to locate the right path to apply the FF version of the threat shield, and which I think he said was known/would be fixed in the next release (as it affects the installer)?

Also, I am seeing green check marks under Google when it forces https...so given what you just said I am now somewhat confused.

Regards

Baldrick

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
That could be but we need more info as to the Best Buy Subscription service I assume he would have to go through Geek Squad?

Daniel
Userlevel 7
The browser extensions for the Best Buy Subscription Software version are identical to the ones on the retail release of WSA as far as I know.  We have seen several threads on the Community regarding the new filtering extension and the fact that  it is being rolled out gradually, and I assume that has not changed.  The same will be true of the Best Buy version of WSA.

Thanks for the input. You may be very correct in that I should try a clean reinsall, and follow the steps that you outlined. What also supports your point is that on my other laptop, where I also use Firefox and Webroot, the green arrows do show on Yahoo searches. I kind of wonder why the Geek Squad did not think of pursuing your way of thinking.

Being green behind the ears when it comes to downloads, if I follow your steps will my computer be prone to any attacks from virsuses? Or will I be in the drivers seat if I follow your recommendation to the letter?
Userlevel 7
Hi Rabon

You can very safely follow Daniel's (TripleHelix) advice (and that of all the senior Community members such as David, pegas, explanoit, etc.) as it is backed by great experience and understanding of WSA.  You will be fine. :D

Post back to let us know if that sorts it out for you or not.

Regards

Baldrick
Hi, as I have a contract with the Geek Squad, I passed on the advice given to me by TripleHelix to them. Just minutes ago, i concluded my on line chat with them, and they said they followed TripleHelix's guidance, that is a clean reinstall, etc.

With their usual super efficiency, the Geek Squad did followup checks against the search engines Yahoo, BING and Google. Once again the green check marks do not materialize on Yahoo and BING, and of course Google's system prevents check marks from appearing.

I was reassured by the Geek Squad (and do believe them) that webroot is working perfectly, and will prevent any bad web sites from appearing when a search is made. Plus, if by some remote chance an infected site does pop up, a webroot page will automatically appear warning me about the web site, and giving me a choice if I wanted to continue.

The Geek Squad agent said that she has never encountered seeing green check marks during searches wen webroot was used. So, unless anyone else can add anything more, I guess I have taken this issue as far as I can go.

Thanks so much for being helpful and responsive. Look forward to future exchanges if and when an issue comes up.

Rabon, over and out for now!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello Rabon,

Please Submit a Support Ticket directly to Webroot and tell them what's going on and even point them to this thread to show them what we have done so far and they will get you sorted! I'm sorry that your having these issues and @ will supply more info about Geek Squad and this issue when she gets back on Monday!

Thanks,

Daniel
Hi, Triple Hex (Daniel)

I followed through per your recommendation. Thanks for all of your help. In the meantime I will continue to use my computer, reassured that Webroot is doing its job.

Rabon
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
It is as it has many shields and I'm not sure if you seen this small Video https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-Education/What-Happens-if-Webroot-quot-Misses-quot-a-Virus/ta-p/10202#.UohD2uIZlOc once you are sorted and everything is working as it should be I know you will enjoy it with all features working it's a small footprint it uses 3 to 6MB of RAM and no downloads of Definitions as it's all done in the Powerful Cloud! http://www.webroot.com/us/en/partners/technology-partners/web-content-classification But please let us know the outcome as it can help other users and members!

Thanks,

Daniel 😉