Solved

Not possible to exclude folders from scanning?

• 28 February 2019
  • 5 replies

Badge +1
On a lark, I decided to try Webroot. And within 15 minutes have uninstalled it. When I could not excluding folders from scanning, I went to the Community Forum and was shocked by the lack of functionality, but more so: the reasoning that was provided.

I have many, many files and folders that trigger various security warnings. It is an incredibly irritating and time-consuming endeavor having to pull from quarantine files that have been erroneously tagged as threats.

It is such poor product development to offer the option in the business edition but in no other. Is the logic that this alone will warrant upselling? If so then this is perhaps the stupidest reasoning ever since excluding folders is found in virtually all antivirus applications.
icon

Best answer by TripleHelix 28 February 2019, 17:34

View original

5 replies

Personally, I understand perfectly the reasoning behind this decision.

Business users are generally speaking more savvy than general consumers (and often have different IT needs). The danger of general consumers being able to exclude specific folders, thus providing an easy infection route for malicious malware authors, is obvious and Webroot is reluctant to allow this dangerous infection inroad.

That may be annoying for IT developers but the security reasoning behind this decision is patent and, imho, prudent (even if other AV providers have chosen a different path).
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
@anditsalltrue there is an Idea request that's 6 years old if you want to Kudo and post your comments: https://community.webroot.com/got-an-idea-29/wsa-all-versions-exclusion-of-specific-files-folders-from-scans-3300 and the last time I asked was 10 months ago: https://community.webroot.com/got-an-idea-29/wsa-all-versions-exclusion-of-specific-files-folders-from-scans-3300/index4.html#post318895

@anditsalltrue

...6 years old...

Now 8. That says it all. This suggestion should have one way or the other been decided on by Webroot Development long ago (and imo rejected for the reasons I give in my post above—though I hasten to add that’s just my opinion 😉).

Who wants to go to the trouble to make a Suggestion when, eight years later, it is likely to still be marked as “Under Review” (indeed, this is far from being the only Suggestion that has been languishing in the “Under Review” classification for years) ? Imho, no-one.

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

@anditsalltrue

...6 years old...

That says it all (now 8 years old!!). This suggestion should have one way or the other been decided on by Webroot Development long ago (and imo rejected for the reasons I give in my post above—though I hasten to add that’s just my opinion 😉).

Who wants to go to the trouble to make a Suggestion when, eight years later, it is likely to still be marked as “Under Review” (indeed, this is far from being the only Suggestion that has been languishing in the “Under Review” classification for years) ? Imho, no-one.

I did ask again a year ago: https://community.webroot.com/got-an-idea-29/wsa-all-versions-exclusion-of-specific-files-folders-from-scans-3300?postid=340244#post340244 still nothing!

Yes. I noticed.