Solved

Notification( On Reboot)!- Windows Reports Webroot/Defender/FW are off!

• 31 October 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2

I get this several times a month, and have no idea how long I have been without protection!?- Grrr! :o(

I’ve had it with iffy Webroot/Cloud (Slow!), that gets turned off for with no notification, and going try an McAfee that’s loaded on my computer!

BTW- I had the same problem with Norton IS/ Trend Micro, and that’ s why I tried Webroot…

Q?- Does Webroot have a cleanup tool, or...?

icon

Best answer by TripleHelix 1 November 2020, 01:18

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @scottls59901 

Please do a clean reinstall of WSA.

Please follow the steps closely!

• Make sure you have a copy of your 20 Character Alphanumeric Keycode! Example: SA69-AAAA-A783-DE78-XXXX
  • Be sure you add your Keycode to your Online Console: Webroot SecureAnywhere Online Console
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Geek Squad Subscription PC users click HERE) Let us know if it is the Mac version you need
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Look to see if this folder is gone: C:\ProgramData\WRData and if it’s there delete it. (Hidden Area)
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again
  • DO NOT import any old settings as you can set it up as you like once it's done

Please let us know if that resolves your issue?

Thanks,

Userlevel 2

Hello @scottls59901 

Please do a clean reinstall of WSA.

Please follow the steps closely!

• Make sure you have a copy of your 20 Character Alphanumeric Keycode! Example: SA69-AAAA-A783-DE78-XXXX
  • Be sure you add your Keycode to your Online Console: Webroot SecureAnywhere Online Console
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Geek Squad Subscription PC users click HERE) Let us know if it is the Mac version you need
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Look to see if this folder is gone: C:\ProgramData\WRData and if it’s there delete it. (Hidden Area)
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again
  • DO NOT import any old settings as you can set it up as you like once it's done

Please let us know if that resolves your issue?

Thanks,

1. What about Webroot Threat Shield? (Chrome & Edge), do I uninstall/remove them, after uninstall reboot, reboot again?
  2. Thinking about it- This problem started after installing MBAM Pro, & on-demand too- While I’m in Show Hidden, should I delete everything Malwarebytes too?
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
  1. No leave them
  2. I don’t know as you didn’t mention MBAM Pro in realtime and there does seem to be some conflict with the 2.
Userlevel 6
Badge +21

I think Windows is getting confused with maybe incomplete cleanup of previous AV tools, especially their registry entries. I know there are separate clean uninstall utilities from various AV vendors but I don’t think webroot has one other than the Windows uninstaller.

What does Windows Security center say as the main AV installed? Is it Malwarebytes or others?

Oh you said McAfee was pre-installed? I’ve had prior issues with expired trial versions of McAfee on previous Windows OS and I’ve had to use their clean uninstall tool to remove it.

What I would do is 

1. Uninstall ALL AV and reboot to make sure Windows Defender is showing up as protecting the computer and run a scan with it. If it doesn’t show Windows Defender as the main AV then further cleanup needs to be done. I know Malwarebytes has a separate uninstall utility if necessary. 
  1. You can also run the Emsisoft Emergency Kit which is a portable manual malware and AV scanner as a 2nd opinion to make sure you have no bad stuff lingering. 
  1. Install Webroot. After its initial scan, then check Windows Security Center to see if the main AV protecting the computer is Webroot. If it is, then you can also choose for Windows Defender to do “periodic scan” to supplement it.

--Patrick

Userlevel 2
  1. No leave them
  2. I don’t know as you didn’t mention MBAM Pro in realtime and there does seem to be some conflict with the 2.

I uninstalled both MBAM’s normally (add/remove), soon after installing WSA, as every time I did a scan I’d get the No AV… on next reboot-

I Now see that MBAM has a cleanup Tool, that I should have used  to uninstall completely. I will run it after I uninstall WSA.