Open ports

• 19 October 2018
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
I am trying to get multi-platform texting setup (Windows 10, Android tablet, Android phone). In order for the one I'd like to use I have been told this.

If your organization has a firewall that restricts the traffic to or from the Internet, you need to configure it to allow connectivity with GCM in order for your GCM client apps to receive messages. The ports to open are: 5228, 5229, and 5230. GCM typically only uses 5228, but it sometimes uses 5229 and 5230. GCM doesn't provide specific IPs, so you should allow your firewall to accept outgoing connections to all IP addresses contained in the IP blocks listed in Google's ASN of 15169.  

I'm a little worried about how safe this is if I was to do it, plus I'm not sure how to do it.

Any help or advice will be appreciated.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +36
@ wrote:
I am trying to get multi-platform texting setup (Windows 10, Android tablet, Android phone). In order for the one I'd like to use I have been told this.

If your organization has a firewall that restricts the traffic to or from the Internet, you need to configure it to allow connectivity with GCM in order for your GCM client apps to receive messages. The ports to open are: 5228, 5229, and 5230. GCM typically only uses 5228, but it sometimes uses 5229 and 5230. GCM doesn't provide specific IPs, so you should allow your firewall to accept outgoing connections to all IP addresses contained in the IP blocks listed in Google's ASN of 15169.  

I'm a little worried about how safe this is if I was to do it, plus I'm not sure how to do it.

Any help or advice will be appreciated.

I'm honestly not sure, however our enterprise support team should be able to help address your question. They can be reached at 1-866-254-8400.
Userlevel 1
Thanks