Permanently Erase Method

• 24 November 2013
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 2
What method is used by Webroot when erasing files or folders? A Simple Overwrite (1 pass), DOD 5220.22-M (3 passes), NSA (7 passes), and Gutmann (35 passes).Thanks

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello GTR707

How many passes depends on how you set it.  It can be set for 1, 3 or 7 (Normal, Medium and Maximum)

Please see the User Guide for full details.

🙂
Userlevel 2
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm There is no setting. Hence my question.  :@
Userlevel 7
Have you viewed the link I provided?

Open WSA, at the upper right corner click Advanced Settings.

On the left side, click Secure Erase.

There you go.

🙂
Userlevel 7
If you do not have the settings for it, you may be using WSA-AV, which does not have that module as the Secure Erase is a part of System Optimizer, and available only on WSA-Complete.  Sorry that I missed that on my first reply!
Userlevel 2
Yes I am using WSA AV 2014. There is a permant erase option in explorer. I imagine that is the default erase method. So which method does it use? Thanks. 

I posted in the antivirus sectiuon for a reason. 
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Yes I am using WSA AV 2014. There is a permant erase option in explorer. I imagine that is the default erase method. So which method does it use? Thanks. 

I posted in the antivirus sectiuon for a reason. 
Er.. yes you DID post in the AV section for a reason, and again my apologies for not having noticed that. (Did not sleep well last night and I just plain missed it... )  Please forgive.

There is another thread with this question over the last week.  It appears that for some reason some WSA-AV users are seeing that option, but they are not supposed to.  It is being looked into by the Developer.  I honestly do not know the actual status of that option: does it actually work or not, and if it does, how many passes is it actually using.
Userlevel 2
Yes it works. Cannot tell how many passes. Seems to be 1.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Yes it works. Cannot tell how many passes. Seems to be 1.
I believe you are correct.  I have WSA-Complete, and I had mine set to Max (7).  I did a reset to defaults, and it changed down to 1.
Userlevel 2
https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/Remove-quot-permanently-erase-quot-context-menu-option/td-p/20008