Solved

Pop-up ads

• 21 March 2016
  • 7 replies

I just bought the Webroot anti-virus and installed it but I keep getting lots of pop-up ads. How can I fix this?
icon

Best answer by Ssherjj 22 March 2016, 00:59

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello msantillan0898

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

Can you tell me what kind of popup ads that you are getting?

You could  clean out your browser history and cookies.

These could also be PUAs. Here is the Knowledge Base Article  https://community.webroot.com/t5/Techie-KB/How-to-Remove-Potentially-Unwanted-Applications/ta-p/40744

At the end of this KB it suggests that you add a Adblocker to your browser.

For Internet Explorer Ad Block Plus: https://adblockplus.org/

For Firefox uBlock: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/?src=ss or Privacy Badger: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/privacy-badger-firefox/

Google Chrome uBlock: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm?hl=en or Privacy Badger: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/privacy-badger/pkehgijcmpdhfbdbbnkijodmdjhbjlgp

Hope this helps and if not please get back to us.
Userlevel 7
Hi msantillan0898

Welcome to the Community Forums.

If I may just add to what Sherry has posted...it is important to understand as to whether these popups arise solely during browsing or whether they occur more randomly, i.e., when not necessarily browsing, and also if they are from multiple sources or if there is a partcilular and specific message being pushed at you.

The reasonf or the question is that the answer will allow us to determine the source of the issue, which may be one that is indeed resolved by the use of popup blockers or may be due to something altogether different and which therefore needs different solution.

So please let us know the answerrs to the above questions.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Regards, Baldrick
Well the pop-ups only apear when I go to a website and try to do anything. If I try scrolling up or clicking on something it freezes my screen and sends me to another page that says Reimage Repair, 504 Gateway Time-out, or Computer Support. Usually on computer support it tells me that my internet browser has pop-up software enabled but i checked in my browsing setting and it have it set to disable any pop-ups. If it doesnt redirect me to another websit ethen it will cover most of my screen with shoe products or something like that. I had this software since I got this computer about a year ago and it worked perfectly until my membership ran out; that s when my computer really started slowling down and filling up with pop-ups.  It had a check mark besides websites when I googledd something to see if it was a reliable website but now it doesnt do that anymore and it doesnt seem to block any ads even though I went to webroots setting and made sure all pop-ups were disabled. 
Well the pop-ups only apear when I go to a website and try to do anything. If I try scrolling up or clicking on something it freezes my screen and sends me to another page that says Reimage Repair, 504 Gateway Time-out, or Computer Support. Usually on computer support it tells me that my internet browser has pop-up software enabled but i checked in my browsing setting and it have it set to disable any pop-ups. If it doesnt redirect me to another websit ethen it will cover most of my screen with shoe products or something like that. I had this software since I got this computer about a year ago and it worked perfectly until my membership ran out; that s when my computer really started slowling down and filling up with pop-ups.  It had a check mark besides websites when I googledd something to see if it was a reliable website but now it doesnt do that anymore and it doesnt seem to block any ads even though I went to webroots setting and made sure all pop-ups were disabled.  
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello msantillan0898

Is this what you have?

ReImage PC Repair Online is a system optimizer utility, which is promoted via other free downloads, and once installed it claims that several issues were been detected on your computer.
However, if you try to fix these issues, ReImage PC Repair Online will state that you need to buy its full version before being able to do so.

Please read below and see if this helps you.

What you are seeing and describing sounds like it may be what we on the Community refer to as a PUA. (Potentially Unwanted Application) These are very annoying at best in that they cause pop-us, redirect your browser home page, and other behavior that may slow down the computer and direct ads your way, but they are not actually doing anything bad like damaging files or stealing information. Often they are installed intentionally by you the user as browser add-ons for various tasks such as quick search tools.. but they also come with the result of added annoying pop-ups and ads. Other times they 'piggy back' with other software that you installed, or try to 'sneak' onto your system entirely.

WSA does detect and remove many PUA's, and more are being added, but WSA does not detect all of them. A simple browser add-on with PUA behavior that is easy to identify and easy to remove is not likely to be detected and removed by WSA. Those that are intentionally difficult to locate and remove are. Please see THIS LINK for more information regarding Webroot's stance on these annoying programs.

For those that are not detected by WSA, please see this KB Article. It has some easy to follow directions on locating and removing PUA's. You may also want to submit a Trouble Ticket, especially if you cannot remove it easily from the directions in the KB Article.

For those that ARE detected by WSA, but cannot be removed automatically, you can submit a Trouble Ticket.  Webroot Support will help you get these annoying 'crapware' off your computer at no extra charge, and the additional examples may help to better automatic removal of that particular PUA for all users in the future.
Thanks, that really helped.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi msantillan0898

You are welcome! Happy that we could assist!