Solved

Popup to update Office Starter 2010, not from Microsoft.

• 31 December 2014
  • 4 replies

The popup I can't get rid of has no logo or other indication that it is from Microsoft. Also, I checked the Microsoft website and there is no update pending for Office Starter 2010. Besides Webroot and Microsoft Defender, which are on my computer, I have run Malwarebytes and Norman. My operating system is Windows 7. Any suggestions for getting rid of this popup?
icon

Best answer by Baldrick 31 December 2014, 01:58

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello and Welcome to the Webroot Community!

Are you sure your system didn't come with Office 2010 Starter as I see it allot from others, also if you do have it do you need it? If not uninstall it IMO.

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Hi WisLass

May I too welcome you to the Community Forums.

Was the message by any chance:

"An update for Microsoft Office Starter 2010 - English is now available online"

with a prompt to install it.

It appears to be a genuine offer and as I understand it the way to disable it is as follows:

Within Word (not sure why but thatis where to go) click on:

1. File > Help
2. Then under under 'Click To Run Product Update's, it should say an update is ready
3. When you then click on 'Update Options drop down' one of the options says, Disable updates

If you want to stop the notifications you can click on that, and they should go away.

The above is assuming that you do not want to take the update...if you do then you just click on the OK button in the orginal popup or you can use the other option available with 'Dsiable updates'...which is 'apply updates'.

Hope that is of some assistance?

Redgards, Baldrick

Thank you! I checked Word Help as you suggested. It's a relief to know that the update offer is legitimate. Too bad there's nothing to indicate that the popup is from Microsoft so it wouldn't look like a scam.

Someone else asked if I wanted Office Starter 2010. Yes, I got it from Microsoft after buying WordPerfect and finding I didn't like it. The full MIcrosoft Office suite is quite expensive, but I only use Word and Excel, anyway, so the Starter version works well for me.
Userlevel 7
Hi WisLass

You are most welcome!  Glad to be able to help.

So if I gather correctly from what you are saying you will most likely accept the update rather than disabling the update popup.

Either way now you know where to go if you get another similar popup and you always have the option to disable if they do get annoying.

Regards, Baldrick