Potential Malware Warning: Email from W.A.S.T.E (Radiohead) auto opens website upon RECEIPT

• 20 April 2017
  • 1 reply

I subscribed to Radiohead's website WASTE / W.A.S.T.E. years ago to download In Rainbows and have stayed subscribed ever since.

Yesterday I recieved an email from them that automatically linked to a website upon RECEIPT.  I did not select it.  I did not open it.

It happened on both my Windows 10 computer and on my Windows 8 phone.

Has anyone else ever heard of such a thing?

The website included graphics that, at a glance, look like a ransomware site.  No ransomware was detected by webroot nor hitman pro, but I've never experienced this before and I think it could be.

I'm hesitent to view the website again because of this.

default browser is firefox - latest updates installed.  Windows 10 completely up to date.  Webroot active.  Hitman pro up to date.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Hi timagraham

You are very wise to have acted as you have done and to have been wary of this...many would not have.

What I would do is to Open a Support Ticket, provide the URL concerned to the Support Team and as them to check this out for you or you can check yourself by using THIS link (which allows you to enter the URL and have it check online by BrightCloud) and if unsure then post back the results obtained here and we can look to help with some advice based on what you report.

Regards, Baldrick