Solved

Prevx Upgraded to WSA

I used Prevx 3 on a spare PC, and recently it upgraded to WSA, without warning or asking me. 
I checked it out to make sure it was a ligit program, and decided to proceed to see what was up. 
I used Prevx 3 as a  backup to my main AV, a secondary AV. I also use another firewall. 
My questions are these:  Can I still use WSA as a backup to my main AV, or will it conflict with it? 
If I just disable the firewall and Realtime protection, will that work without conflicts, or are there other 'Shields' that I should also disable? 
Or, should I just remove WSA from my system. I am already quite satisfied with the AV and Firewall I am currently using, and don't need conflicting apps. 

Thanks.  
icon

Best answer by MikeR 31 March 2013, 19:11

View original

31 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Also here is a Quote from JoeJ the V.P. of Devoplment.

Quote: This is actually accurate. The reason that WSA is able to be compatible with other security products is that it allows Avast/MSE/Norton/etc. to lock the file/remove the file/or do whatever they please with an infection.

Other vendors immediately lock down access to threats and this generates significant contention problems, usually followed by system crashes as other AVs try to unlock the exclusive handles held by other AVs. The common thought of "use only one AV" is definitely not a myth - we've put forth considerable research/development in ensuring that we are fully compatible with other AVs, and one of the ways in doing this is to allow them to take credit for the detection.

Rest assured, however, that if you were using the other AV alongside WSA, WSA would still block the threat even if the other AV missed it.

Hope that helps!

TH
Userlevel 7
Hello DanaJ, and welcome to the Community!

The experience with WSA should be the same as you had with Prevx.  It is designed to be compatible with other solutions, and should not be a problem.  I am not the end all expert, but from what I have seen it should be fine to leave it fully active, realtime protections and all.

If you do happen to notice an issue, that can usually be resolved.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello DanaJ and welcome to the Webroot Community Forums.

David it correct as I was a long time user of Prevx and now WSA and it will be compatible with your other AV just like Prevx and if you do see any problems or questions feel free to post them. ;)

Cheers,

TH
Userlevel 7
Thanks DavidP!

You can also change the settings under Scan Settings to favor low CPU usage.

Userlevel 7
Thanks Mike! I had a nagging feeling I was missing one!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Well, I have been using WSA for the 30 day trial, and after some testing, I have decided not to use it. My regualr AV intercepted infections before WSA did, do it really was not all that usefull.
I still use Malwarebytes and Pande Cloud Scanner as a secondary double check on my AV just to make sure, but at this time I find WSA to be unnecessary.

DanJ
Hello Dana,

WSA it designed to step aside when another AV is used that's how it can be ran with other AV's & AM's and if your other AV missed it WSA would pick it up and on it's own it would stand up and protect your PC Extremely well. And I don't know if you ever looked at this video when WSA does miss an infection? The rollback and remediation of WSA is unparalleled compared to other AV's.

EDIT: Here is some extra information. http://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Complete/Incompatibility-Messages-Regarding-Webroot-from-Third-Party/ta-p/20338#.UXWGicr2k9Y

TH
Userlevel 7
I have long been familiar that Webroot is compatible, but never really heard the theory behind it.  Thanks Daniel!
Userlevel 7
Joe gets credit for the quote, you get credit for sharing it....

😃
Userlevel 7
Thanks Daniel you quoted Joe.

The ability of WSA to allow others to take action first, is a smart amazing approach which is widely known for us, Wilders members, but less here on Community which is a shame. There is no other security solution on market that could boast with this feature, so I think we should here more underline this function.
So, I WSA will not conflict with my current AV, correct?
What about the Firewall>? Should I disable it?

Thanks, DanaJ
Userlevel 7
Hi Dana,
There is not a single component of it that you will need to disable. The same team that made Prevx made Webroot SecureAnywhere. It's fundamentally the same as what you're used to with Prevx 3.0 but with some major improvements in performance, functionality, and the user experience.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello DanaJ,

Jim is Correct no need to change anything just for the sake of the conversation what other AV & Firewall are you using?

TIA,

TH
  1. The other AV is Avast, and Comodo Firewall.
BTW: I really see no reason to keep two firewalls on, so will disable the WSA firewall. 
I have also noticed a slowdown in performance with WSA realtime protection on, so it may be conflicting with my current AV, Avast. 

DJ
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Thanks Dana I know many that use that combination without issues just make sure you give WSA full right's to the system and internet as Comodo could stop that with it's HIPS component. ;)

Cheers,

TH
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
BTW: I really see no reason to keep two firewalls on, so will disable the WSA firewall. 
I have also noticed a slowdown in performance with WSA realtime protection on, so it may be conflicting with my current AV, Avast. 

DJ
Dana there is no reason to disable WSA's firewall as I use WSA and Look'n'Stop Firewall with no issues at all also if you want to read more about WSA's Firewall look Here also after a few scans with WSA you shouldn't notice any difference in performance and if you do save a scan log by Right clicking the the WSA icon in the system tray and Save a Scan Log if you have many files with [u] in front then Submit a Support Ticket and copy and paste them in the Ticket and that should speed things up! Also this is a Great Video that you should watch and in time you might just go with WSA & Comodo.

EDIT: I also found this in the Tribal Knowledge Base.

HTH,

Daniel 😉
Hi, I read the linked info, and it looks like WSAs firewall was designed to work with Windows firewall. I feel that the Comodo is much better, and thus do not need two firewalls.
I also noticed that this Prevx/WSA has a 30 day trial. What happens after that? What is disabled, and what is not?

Thanks, DanaJ
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I still strongly suggest that you leave WSA's firewall on as it's only and outbound firewall and doesn't interfere with Comodo also do you have a Prevx license key? If you do just put the Prevx keycode in WSA please see Here on how to do so and it will convert your license, returning a WSA keycode (which it will display on-screen for you to save to ensure you have the new keycode moving forward).

TH
Tell you what, I will give it a try with both Realtime and the Firewall on. If I have any problems, I will report them here.
But still, what gets disabled at the end of the trial?

Danaj
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Tell you what, I will give it a try with both Realtime and the Firewall on. If I have any problems, I will report them here.

Danaj
Sounds good! As far as I know everything because WSA does not have a free version like Prevx did. There is a great sale on now if you need a license?

HTH,

TH
OK, I have been running it for awhile now, I use Chrome as my prime browser. I notice that CPU peaked at 100% when online.
I experimented with diabling the RT shield, and then the Firewall, but disabling the ID shield seemed to help, so it had something to do with the protected apps, of which Chrome is one. Should I change from Protected to Allow?
DanaJ
Userlevel 7
Keeping your browsers listed as Protect gives you maximum protection, I do recommend checking for other programs that you trust under View/Edit Protected Applications and setting them to Allow if you know they are safe as this may be contributing to a small performance impact. If they are noticeable impacts that continue after moving trusted programs to Allow, we can collect WSA logs to investigate further within the support system.
Userlevel 7

@ wrote:
... Chrome is one. Should I change from Protected to Allow?
Yes but as a temporary workaround. It would be worth to open a support ticket as TripleHelix and Mike already suggested. Thus support can take a look into your logs what's going on.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:

Danaj

Hello Dana I got an answer from and after the trial runs out.

Quote: JoeJ
After the 30 day trial, protection will be disabled but they can continue scanning the system.

HTH,

TH
OK, I have worked around with WSA today, and found that it was a recent Quictime update, with the QT icon running in the try that seemed to be the cause of the CPU maxing, so I disabled that and it seems to be running normally.
At least that seems to have been the cause. Coulda been something else that resolved.
Thanks for the info. I may keep WSA, or not, depending.

DanaJ
So I have been trying out WSA for awhile now, and it seems to run OK and no serious conflicts with my current AV & firewall.
However, during scanning, which there is no way to pause or suspend or stop, it does max out my cpu.
BTW: I forgot to give sys info on the pc, its a 4 year old Dell "Boris" Vostro laptop with an AMD 64 x2 duo core CPU with 2 gb, running XP Pro. I use it as a spare pc.