Solved

Printer doesn't work since WSA install

• 2 January 2019
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
I installed WSA a few weeks ago on a Windows 7 machine. A few days after the install I tried printing a few pages to my HP printer but it wouldn't print. I thought that was really strange because I've never had a problem with the printer before.

I bought a brand new Brother laser printer that just arrived yesterday and this printer won't print either. There's nothing wrong with the USB ports, I bought a new printer cable, and have gone through  Windows troubleshooting and made sure the print spoolers under 'Services' is set to automatic.

There's nothing listed in Quarantine or Block/Allow files under PC Security. Everything under View Active Connections is set to 'Allow'. The only printer related connection listed there is spoolsv.exe and it's set to 'Allow' as are all the other active connections.

There are no networks, wi-fi, routers, homegroups, or other users. There's me, my desktop, and the printer. That's it.

I just uninstalled and reinstalled WSA (for the last time I might add), but it didn't change anything. If you can tell me how to fix this, that'd be great.

https://community.webroot.com/t5/Introduce-yourself-to-the/after-I-installed-webroot-my-printer-will-not-print/m-p/270625#M7239

https://community.webroot.com/t5/Introduce-yourself-to-the/Webroot-won-t-allow-me-to-connect-to-connect-to-wireless-printer/m-p/281525#M7414
icon

Best answer by D_J 2 January 2019, 18:27

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello wrav,
When you uninstalled WSA did you try the printer with WSA uninstalled? It may not be WSA but the new Brother printer not pairing up with your computer. Since you have uninstalled / reinstalled already I would Contact Webroot Support with this problem.
Userlevel 7
Hi wrav

Have you tried the Windows 10 Printer troubleshooter (Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot)? That may yield something.

Also, have you tried the Brother Support & Downloads Page that has some resources that may help with such a situation, especailly if it is predominantly Brother based rather than WSebroot based?

Regards, Baldrick

Userlevel 2
Hey ProTruckDriver-

Thanks for your reply.

No, I didn't try the printer with WSA uninstalled because the other posts I linked to said a reinstall would solve the issue, and since the computer was connected to the Internet due to the uninstall/reinstall, it seemed a better idea to keep WSA enabled.

If it was just the Brother printer that didn't print I might agree with you about it not pairing up with my computer, but I've never had any issues with the other (HP) printer before installing WSA, and although I'm not an IT pro, I really think there's an issue with WSA compatibility.

Thanks again for your time.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Hi wrav and welcome.

A good while back I posted this same information regarding HP printers.  You will need to check and see if the similar Brother apps are used and are set to allow.

When I used Win7 Ultimate 64bit with the HP-8600Plus and had issues, I checked my Webroot settings while running a print job and what I found follows:

You need to check the Active Connections. Look for the HPNetworkCommunicator.exe and depending on what options you have installed, such as ePrint, possibly the HPNetworkCommunicatorCom.exe and ensure they are set to Allow.

Also while trying to print, check the Active processes found under Utilities -> Advanced-> System Control -> Control Active Processes (Tab), and click the Start button at the bottom.  Again, look for the HPNetworkCommunicator.exe, RunDll32.exe, and Spoolsv.exe.  They need to be set to Allow.

Good Luck, Dave
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Sorry I was unable to help.
After trying the info provided by @ I would recommend you follow the advice or @ and contact support and see if they can assist.

Regards, Dave
Userlevel 2
Hi Dave - 
Thanks for answering. 
I've already mentioned in the previous post that the WSA apps / programs have been set to 'allow'. 

The HP printer has been removed from my desktop so not sure how that impacts the addition of the Brother printer to take its place.

Again, I've already mentioned that all the Active Processes have been set to 'Allow' and I've already checked that Spoolsv.exe is enabled and set to automatic

I really need to acess my printer.

Thanks.
Userlevel 2
Of course your answer helped! :)
There's no way I would have jumped through all those hoops though. If it had been a new computer or new printer that would have been different story, but everything was working fine.

Anyway, the HP printer has been removed, the Brother is now set to default and seems to be working as of this morning. Hopefully it will stay that way.  Thanks again to all who replied.