Solved

Problem with browsers / SecureAnywhere

• 17 December 2012
  • 40 replies

I have recently come across a problem with my browser applications (I.E., Chrome) that I managed to track down to a particular shield in SecureAnywhere. This happened on two computers that I have it on, started at the same time. When I open a browser (I use both IE and Chrome, same happens in both), when I begin entering text in a field, it will leave out the first character. This only happens the FIRST time I type into a browser session. As in, if I wanted to type google.com into the address bar it would come out as oogle.com, only the first time. After that it's fine. If I close the browser and restart it, it will drop only the first character again. Both computers have SecureAnywhere on them, so I started with that as the common denominator. If I go into the Identity and Privacy tab, and into Identity Shield, and into view / edit protected applications and check "allow" instead of Protect, the browser will work fine. Is anyone aware of a way to actually fix this instead of just telling SecureAnywhere to ignore the application? I swear this just started happening recently, or it would have driven me nuts before this! 🙂 Any information is appreciated! D
icon

Best answer by Tabazan 10 January 2013, 14:12

View original

40 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13
It is a known issue and will be fixed in the next build due out very soon:D
Userlevel 7
Badge +13
Hello Twinson and Welcome to the Webroot Community:D
Userlevel 7
Badge +13
Happy to say,upon donload this morning,the right click and scan with Webroot,and the first typed character in browser bugs are both fixed in build 8.0.2.92.The build will make it's way to everyone via automatically via download in the background at some point over the next day or 2.
Userlevel 2
I am running version 8.0.2.96 and this issue is not solved yet. Starting pc with firefox and everything seems fine, but after firefox is closed and another browser is started and closed firefox has yet again the missing first character. I hope this can be fixed soon. Regards
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello RPI and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums. ;)

Can you please do a clean reinstall? Uninstall reboot and Download a fresh Copy or if you are using a Best Buy version and install and make sure you have a copy of your Keycode before doing so and please report back after testing.

TIA,

TH
Userlevel 2
A clean reinstall did the trick. All resolved now! Thanks for your prompt reply!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Your very Welcome! ;)

Cheers,

TH
Userlevel 7
Hello RPI, Welcome to the Webroot Community Forum. :D
@ wrote:
A clean reinstall did the trick. All resolved now! Thanks for your prompt reply!
Thank you for posting that your problem is solved. 😉
Userlevel 1
Hi,
I have the same problem; I did a clean reinstall as suggested, but the problem is still there. The only way to solve it is to turn off 'identity protection'. I have Webroot Secure Anywhere Complete v8.02.96
Have  you got any other ideas
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello PJB1950 and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums.

Since you tried a clean reinstall I would suggest that you Submit a Support Ticket to get further help.

TH
Userlevel 1
I have done so!
Userlevel 2
After installing System Mechanic Pro the problem with missing first character has returned. Before installation of this program all was fine. How to solve this? Thanks in advance. Grtz
Userlevel 7
It looks like the continuation of this issue is specific to international keyboard character layouts. There are some known issues right now with those types of keyboard layouts which are being investigated. PJB1950, I'll keep an eye on your case for any news from development regarding any potential fixes. RPI, I can deduce that your issue is likely for the same reason, but if you would like to put in a support case as well, it would probably be worth doing just to be notified ASAP of any additional findings or potential workarounds.
Userlevel 1
I don't know if that is the case, JimM, because my keyboard layout is set to United States. You know, the most irritating thing is that your username and, worse, your passwords are misinterpreted! Closing the Identity protection solves the problem, but is not the correct way of course. I will patiently wait for a solution!
Kind regards,
PJB1950
Userlevel 7
On second glance (and now with a chance to look at your logs as well), it looks more like coincidence now that both recent reports on Community came in from .nl email addresses. Further investigation is ongoing. We'll have to see what Support makes of this.
Hello,

I have bought SecureAnywhere five days ago and did a clean install of version 8.0.2.96. I have the same problem with the first keypress and Identity check. 

I think the problem is broader than just the first keypress in the address bar of Chrome (or IE). Sometimes this also occurs in input boxes and not just the first keypress.

Keyboard setting: US International

I'm from the Netherlands, so maybe it's not a coincidence that the other reports came from .nl email addresses. Maybe the Dutch complain more? ;)

Hope you can resolve this. I really like your product.

Userlevel 3
Adding to the mystery, on 5 different PC's (dutch Win7) in combination with IE no problems. Layout U.S. International.
Userlevel 1
Even more confusing then: both on my pc (windows 7) as on my wife's laptop (windows 7) in combination with IE, Safari, Chrome and Firefox, layout either U.S. or U.S. International (we use them both) we have this first-letter problem, most annoyingly in the passwords!
Even after restarting the computer in 'safe mode', the problem persists in all 4 browers. Only when I 'switch off' identity protection, is the problem solved. Even leaving this function 'on' and deselecting all the options does not work! You really have the switch it completely off.
Userlevel 7
Support is working to reproduce the issue, and we'll update the thread again as we gain more info. Quick question for everyone: are you using a localized Dutch version of Windows?
Userlevel 3
The Dutch version of SecureAnywhere and Windows 7 x64 localized Dutch
Userlevel 1
Hello JimM,

Best wishes for the coming year!
I am using Windows 7 64-bit, Dutch version, and Webroot Secure Anywhere, Dutch version.

PJB1950
Userlevel 2
I have also dutch version of Win7 (X64) installed. After installation of both Chrome and Firefox all was fine. The problems started after a restart of pc. Already send the logs to technical department, so hopefully a fix soon..
I'm using Windows 7 32-bit, Dutch localized version.
Userlevel 2
Yesterday I did a clean install, selected dutch version but english version was installed. With this version all problems are solved. So it seems that problems were related to dutch installation files.
Userlevel 1
I have done the same this afternoon, i.e.. I removed the Dutch version of Webroot Secure Anywhere and installed the English version instead. And indeed, the problem seems to have been solved. So, as RPI suggests, it might very well be the Dutch version that causes the problem!