Solved

Problems with typing

Hi!
Since I use Webroot Secure Anywhere Antivirus (I installed the programm two days ago), I´ve experienced this problem:

When typing in browser line or any other field on a website, the first letter doesn´t appear, so I´ve first to press a button and afterwards I can type, which is very annoying.

In a customer review on amazon I´ve found a review, where a customer complains about keyboard problems, and Mike Rush replied that this is a known problem and there´s a solution for it:
"This is actually just an instance where you have to set your keyboard processes to "Allow" within the Identity Shield. I apologize for any frustration but these instructions will most likely resolve the keyboard issues. Open Webroot, click Identity & Privacy, click View/Edit Protected Applications, find your keyboard processes and set them to "Allow". Mike R"

When I click on "allow" for iexplore.exe and mozilla.exe in the Protected Applications settings the problem disappears. So my question is: Is there anything questionable (or even dangerous) about this change of settings? Does  another solution exist for this problem?

Thx a lot for your help!

Robert
icon

Best answer by umberto79 19 June 2013, 22:27

View original

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello umberto70 and welcome to the Community. I face the typing prob only rarely. It's very common. I think there is no solution to the prob at the moment other than allowing the process in the Identity shield settings. It's because the Identity shield monitors the keywords and protects them. Maybe the devs could do something about it and make the prob disappear without compromising the protection.
Thx for your fast reply!
Wich disadvantages/threats do I have to face, if I allow this processes in the Identity shield settings?
I´ve never faced this typing problem before with any other Anti Virus programms (Avira, kaspersky, Norton). Did they not offer this kind of protection or did they have a better solution for that?

Thx again!
Robert
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello umberto79 and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums.

Can you tell us the Language you have your OS and WSA?

Thanks,

Daniel
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Thx for your fast reply!
Wich disadvantages/threats do I have to face, if I allow this processes in the Identity shield settings?
I´ve never faced this typing problem before with any other Anti Virus programms (Avira, kaspersky, Norton). Did they not offer this kind of protection or did they have a better solution for that?

Thx again!
Robert
Hello Robert, I've faced this kind of problem with some security apps. Can't name though. Community rules. But they also caused this kind of prob as when protecting the keywords against keyloggers and other info stealing malware.

But hey don't worry. WSA is better. I'm sure Webroot devs are working on erasing the prob.:)

Allowing the processes will not compromise the overall security as other protections like 'Protected Websites' would still be in place. No worries.;)
Hi!

Of course. Both is in German language.
Robert
Dear Amit!
Thx for your word of solace. But until this problem is solved, I would like to ask my question from above again:

Which disadvantages/threats do I have to face, if I allow this processes in the Identity shield settings? Is it risky to allow this processes?

Thx!
Robert

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Hi!

Of course. Both is in German language.
Robert
It should work as German is supported http://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/Supported-Languages-Localized-Operating-Systems/ta-p/15166#.Ub3KA5zNkbI can you please Submit a Support Ticket and they can help you further as could be a simple thing as whitelisting your keyboard drivers and or files.

HTH,

Daniel
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:

Which disadvantages/threats do I have to face, if I allow this processes in the Identity shield settings? Is it risky to allow this processes?

Thx!
Robert

“Allowed applications” are not secured against information-stealing malware, and also have full access to protected data on the system. Many applications unintentionally access protected screen contents or keyboard data without malicious intent when running in the background.

EDIT: Daniel beat me to it.:D
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hi Robert,

To Quote from the Online Help File: https://detail.webrootanywhere.com/agenthelp.asp?n=Managing_protected_applications

"Allow. Allowed applications are not secured against information-stealing malware, and also have full access to protected data on the system. Many applications unintentionally access protected screen contents or keyboard data without malicious intent when running in the background. If you trust an application that is currently marked as Deny, you can change it to Allow."

So please contact the online support inbox!

Thanks,

Daniel

Hat Tip to Amit! 😉
Thx for this advice.I´ve submitted a support ticket and now I am waiting for a reply and  hoping for a solution.
In the meanwhile, is it risky to to work with the modified settings as described above or should I click on protect iexplorer.exe and mozilla.exe (instead of allow)?

Thx again,
Robert

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Thx for this advice.I´ve submitted a support ticket and now I am waiting for a reply and  hoping for a solution.
In the meanwhile, is it risky to to work with the modified settings as described above or should I click on protect iexplorer.exe and mozilla.exe (instead of allow)?

Thx again,
Robert

Protected Yes!

Daniel
Userlevel 7
The risks will be covered by 'Protect websites' in the Identity Shield while you get the solution. No prob. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@Amit wrote:
The risks will be covered by 'Protect websites' in the Identity Shield while you get the solution. No prob. :)
Yes as Amit 😉 said just add the website for now see here: https://detail.webrootanywhere.com/agenthelp.asp?n=Managing_protected_websites at the top add website under HTTPS.

Daniel
Hi!

Thx for all comments.

To avoid misunderstandings: The problem I described, didn´t concern one single website, but every website.

I´ve opened a support ticket, but until now, there´s not a single reaction from the official support, which I find (after more than 72 hours) very disappointing.

It seems that I found a solution. I´ve found an older message, where the same problem was described with the Dutch version of WSA. So I uninstalled WSA (German) and installed the English version and the problem disappeared. I hope this will not change in future. Very strange, that the translated version causes problems, which the English version doesn´t......

Do you know the usual reaction times of Webroot support?

Thx again for all help you provided.

Kind regards,
Robert

Userlevel 7
Hello Robert, I have asked one of my colleagues to take a look at the ticket. I am not sure why the delay in reponse was so long. I apologise for the delay.
Thank you for your intervention . Support has contacted me in the meantime.
As I described, problem seems to be solved for the moment.
Thank you again to all supporters!
Robert