Solved

Question about Heuristics

• 16 November 2016
  • 25 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16
I tend to keep my webroot settings heuristics set to maximum since it doesn't bug any programs or games or anything as well as keeping the firewall set to "Warn if any new, untrusted process connects to the internet" (which i've seen in action dl'ing a program to clean up my PC and didn't see something i need to uncheck until after I hit "OKAY")  and it prompted to block the outgoing connection and a few seconds later deleted the whole 2nd thing it tried to download. 

That being said, I saw this earlier today https://avlab.pl/sites/default/files/68files/ENG_2016_ransomware.pdf and by putting these settings up a bit (as to where i have it set now) does it actually help to possibly block these better? I know it's ransomware, and i know webroot does an awesome job blocking sites in real time to not even get infected in the first place, but specifically the heuristics set to MAX, would that help in these situations a bit more?

I did read other threads explaining how the heuristics views things, but I was wondering more on it's it worth it to have it on MAX.

(also i did take note this was without the "completed", or "updated" firewall driver version ending in .62)
icon

Best answer by Ssherjj 16 November 2016, 01:26

View original

25 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello skippystyles,

Please have a look here at these posts concerning your very question.

https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/Should-Default-User-Settings-include-Warn-not-Enable-Max/m-p/269643/highlight/true#M27761

https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/question-concerning-heuristic-settings
/m-p/185984/highlight/true#M13093

https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Internet/What-do-the-heuristics-options-in-my-Advanced-Settings-actually/m-p/250180/highlight/true#M8951

Hope this helps?
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
It does, that first and third link is what I needed, thank you 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi skippystyles,

You are most welcome!:D
Userlevel 7
Great work as always, Sherry :robotvery-happy:

Userlevel 7
Badge +62

Thanks JP!

Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Sherry, I'm pretty sure when you get to 20,000 kudos, webroot gives you a Porsche.......:D:D:D
@ wrote:
Sherry, I'm pretty sure when you get to 20,000 kudos, webroot gives you a Porsche.......:D:D:D
COOL! Only 16,549 to go! :p

BD
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M7763a02c3849de301000de914ccfcfe0o0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=241&h=167https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M7763a02c3849de301000de914ccfcfe0o0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=241&h=167https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M7763a02c3849de301000de914ccfcfe0o0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=241&h=167https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M7763a02c3849de301000de914ccfcfe0o0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=241&h=167
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
After I saw that "everyone gets a link!" pic from JP, just wanted to say I just realized that Ssherii's edit in the solution was indeed to add yet another link, just made me chuckle. Oh the links, but seriously thank you all for the help 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi skippystyles,

Well we have alot of fun here on the Forum and @ is a character that's for sure! I am happy you got a chuckle over this.

Have a great evening!:D
Userlevel 7
Y'all are just too much fun, I'm glad you can handle & hopefully enjoy some of my craziness (???)

Awesome shirt, @! Chewie in aviator sunglasses. Love it!

BTW, anyone ever tell you that you resemble Chris Robinson from the Black Crowes (one of my favorite bands)???

BD
Userlevel 7
Thanks @!!! :p My Star Wars shirts definitely have to be some of my favorites.
I'll make sure to remember to post when I decide to rock the Yoda again.

And I can't say that I've gotten that one yet. Hmmmm, maybe I'll have to check out their Music now that you've mentioned it.....
@ wrote:

And I can't say that I've gotten that one yet. Hmmmm, maybe I'll have to check out their Music now that you've mentioned it.....
Their first three albums are the best, imho.

• Shake Your Money Maker (1990)
  • The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion (1992)
  • Amorica (1994)
I have a feeling they were all released before you were even born. (Man, I feel old 😞 )
;)

Userlevel 7

Their first three albums are the best, imho.

• Shake Your Money Maker (1990)
  • The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion (1992)
  • Amorica (1994)
I have a feeling they were all released before you were even born. (Man, I feel old 😞 )
;)

The last one made the cut! 93' baby here.

Well, at least you can appreciate all the Music from that era in the sense that you got to experience it in real-time.
I just have to look back at it fondly and Dream of what it would have been like...

True. I consume music like a drug, can't get enough. I love all types of music but actually prefer to listen to newer music. KEXP 90.3 Seattle is an actual radio station that I stream and listen to daily.They play all sorts of music but nothing you're likely to hear on most stations. Lots of indie music. The best part is that it's public radio out of the University of Washington, so no commercials, and the DJs actually get to play what they want, not what some corporation tells them to. The best station in the world, imo 😉
Userlevel 7
We must be similar in that regard then. Music is BY FAR the largest thing I consume on a daily basis.
(I mean since air doesn't really count to me)
My headphones that you saw in the picture are practically glued to my head from when I come in to when I leave :D

It's always great to have a local station that is actually decent :)
In fact, one of the people here at the Office (Wes) is in a band called AMZY that is playing a show tonight in Denver sponsored by the best station we have, KTCL 93.3! They're so flippin' awesome to me cause they really focus on local music, that's something that has really drifted away in traditional radio it seems. Should hopefully be a fun time! Other than all the snow we're encountering right now...
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Hiya @ Great pic.  It's nice that I can put a face to the initials  JP

Thanks for sharing.  I more or less listen to country music, maybe some Chris Daughtry

Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Let me just say, if that's "craziness" JP, you get two thumbs up from me , and love the cans, prefer those to listen to music as well 🙂 (and the fingerless gloves are a nice touch)
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Just think @ you started this great thread and it's cool to see our @ in that happy photo! You can really tell he loves his job!;)

Noithing like getting off topic. LOLs:D
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
I feel honored honestly about the photo, and I'm happy to put the face to the person too! Also you all answering my questions and probably knowing each other (I assume) can make threads like this informative and hillarious at the same time at times. I'm glad to join and be able to enjoy this community because of people like yourselves and others on this forum 🙂.
Userlevel 7
Badge +25

@ wrote:
I feel honored honestly about the photo, and I'm happy to put the face to the person too! Also you all answering my questions and probably knowing each other (I assume) can make threads like this informative and hillarious at the same time at times. I'm glad to join and be able to enjoy this community because of people like yourselves and others on this forum 🙂.
Nice thoughts @ we are one big family in here......;)
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Thank you skippystyles:D

We are happy you joined the Community Forum too!
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Other than all the snow we're encountering right now...
Welcome to the Webroot Community @  :D

@ don't say that nasty 4 letter word. SNOW. Even if we get a report here in the south, everything closes down before the first flake falls. ROFL.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Let me just say, if that's "craziness" JP, you get two thumbs up from me , and love the cans, prefer those to listen to music as well 🙂 (and the fingerless gloves are a nice touch)

These old guys have lasted me at least 5+ years now, they're great! And thanks, it's really not for the statement as it is my hands have the WORST circulation ever. Considering they're my biggest asset at work, gotta do what I can to protect them! :p
@ wrote:
Just think @ you started this great thread and it's cool to see our @ in that happy photo! You can really tell he loves his job!;)

Noithing like getting off topic. LOLs:D

Aw, I'm glad that comes through in the photo. I really do, this Team is such a great one to be apart of. And plus it's made me get to know all of you more! What's not to love :D

BTW I'm Ace at getting things off-topic. This may only be the beginning...
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
Other than all the snow we're encountering right now...
Welcome to the Webroot Community @  :D

@ don't say that nasty 4 letter word. SNOW. Even if we get a report here in the south, everything closes down before the first flake falls. ROFL.

The roads/freeways were ridiculously backed up last night. Even here people act like it's the beginning of the Snowpocalypse. Old habits die hard I guess???