Renew from Geeksquad or purchase from Webroot direct?

Userlevel 1
Long story but bear w/me..bought laptop fm BestBuy w/Norton included.  Notified by BestBuy Norton no longer supported and sent me to Webroot where Anti-virus was downloaded and good till 9/4/2014.  Geek squad will renew for $53+ but same protection is avail. fm Webroot for $40.  No brainer...  My question is this:  As I already have the software anti-virus already downloaded, on 9/14/2014 do I tell Webroot I want to "renew" or do I have to uninstall and re-install the anti-virus?

38 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi xbassman44

Welcome to the Community Forums.

I may well be incorrect here but you will not be able to renew the Best Buy version via Webroot, you have to go through Best Buy Geek Squad.  If you want to go to the Webroot version you will need to uninstall and reintsall, as far as I know.

@ , perhaps you could advise as this is one of your specialty areas of expertise?

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Welcome xbassman44... To our Webroot Forum, I believe you will need to contact Webroot directly and they will send an email link for WSA link. When I bought from BestBuy I had to uninstall and reinstall from Webroot. But hopefully or @ or @ or @ can address this further. :)

Post back if you need further help...
Regards,
Userlevel 7
Hi there!  Welcome to the Community.

I am the 'local expert' on the Best Buy/Geek Squad subscriptions. 

If you want to continue having Geek Squad support for your Webroot software, you must renew through the Geek Squad.

Purchasing directly from Webroot will not renew your subscription with Geek Squad.  The choice is yours as to which avenue you wish to proceed.

If you purchase a new key code from Webroot, you will have to uninstsll the Geek Squad version and reimstall using the standard Webroot download.  Note that my signature has both downloads listed.  While the software may be the same, the key codes are NOT interchangeable.

If you do decide to purchase new instead of renewing, please note you will need to contact Webroot Support if you have been using the Password Manager feature.  That is licensed by the specific key code and you will need Support to assist in transfering the account from the old key code to the new key code.  The same is true any time there is a key code change for any reason.

Please let me know if you have any questions!
Userlevel 7
Hi David

Thanks for confirming...I feel better knowing that what was advised is indeed correct. :D

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Yes I Second that one! Lol 😉
Userlevel 7
Anytime my good friends!  :D 

I just hope I answered things clearly.  It is always my pleasure to help out, and my apologies it took a while to reply!
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
🙂 @ ....Better late then Never! So cliche huh? Lol 🙂
Userlevel 1
Good information from all fronts.  I have till 9/4/2014 but am leaning towards new fm Webroot.  Last time I talked with them they tried to sell me 3 yrs. worth at a super buy stating who knows what renewal price will be year by year.  Tnx again from the Lone Star State for all the input.  
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello xbassman44, Great to hear back from you and for letting us know. Come on back now ya hear! 🙂
Userlevel 7
Hi xbassman44

No problem...always happy to help.  That is what this Community is about.  Hope that we will see you around in the future?

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Regardless of how you proceed, always feel free to drop in here anytime if you have any questions or problems.  We have some very knowledgeable and very friendly volunteers here who are always happy to try to help!

:-) 
Userlevel 1
Ya'all are so friendly here...so another question.  I, on a whim surfed to Ebay and found Webroot software at some unbelievable prices.  Is there a catch here?
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello xbassman44! Not sure maybe @ can answer this for us also. Not sure I'll have to check it out for you unless our other Forum guys can advise this matter first.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Or @ are you around?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Or @ are you around?
Yeppers thanks Sherry let me have a look at the thread!

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Great . I've searched eBay and there's a lot of deals for WSA but not sure if products can be trusted or not....;)
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Ya'all are so friendly here...so another question.  I, on a whim surfed to Ebay and found Webroot software at some unbelievable prices.  Is there a catch here?
Hi xbassman44 and Welcome to the Webroot Community!

Any software from ebay I would not even look at because most times it's to good to be true and if you buy them and the Keycode or Keycodes could be tagged as no good by Webroot then your left with nothing it's best to look at newegg and other online retailers IMHO!

HTH,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Great Daniel ...sound advise there! I totally agree that eBay isn't a good certified place to get WSA per se'... 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Great . I've searched eBay and there's a lot of deals for WSA but not sure if products can be trusted or not....;)
We have seen users buy from ebay just to find out it was illegal copys of the Boxed versions or Keycodes to download as some products that were deemed to be destroyed and wasn't and some try to sell them only to find out the keycode stops working so I stay away from ebay for any software. Also as this is the Webroot Community we cannot share links to deals but if one keeps looking online you can find some great deals from legitimate retailers!

HTH,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Again Daniel great help and advise for future WSA users who post...I'll know more on how to answer this question and can refer to your Post! 🙂
Userlevel 1
I tend to agree, if it's to good to be true, it prob. not true.  will check out some rep. retailers.  Tnx again from Texas
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
The best time to look for deals is from Black Friday and over the Christmas holidays from Newegg.com!

Cheers,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello xbassman44 from Texas, hope we answered all your questions and don't hesitate to come back and freely browse our awesome WSA Forum. 🙂
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
There could be a HUGE catch there.  I reccomend NEVER purchase off Ebay unless the seller is Webroot or Geek Squad.  (Yes, Geek Squad has sold via EBay.  I am not sure if they still do, but when they did it was offically authorized and usually a part of a bundled set of services.)

There have been examples in the past of EBay sales that are not from an Autorized Reseller.  This means that what is being sold could be stolen or counterfeit.  Also, some unscrupulous sellers have attempted to resell used copies.  There is no support available for any purchase of a used, counterfeit or otherwise unauthorized sale of the software.

Just as with anything else, if the price is too good to be true, it probably is!

Do not purchase Webroot software from Ebay unless the seller is an Authorized Distributor, Reseller, or Webroot.  You will only recieve an unuseable key code with no support.
Userlevel 7
The same rule applies to Amazon, Craigslist, etc etc. Make sure and verify that the seller is Webroot , an authorized reseller (like Geek Squad/Best Buy) or another major retailer. Never ever purchase any softwafe, subscription based or not) via EBay or other such sites unless you can verify the seller and the source of the software is legit.