Renew from Geeksquad or purchase from Webroot direct?

Userlevel 1
Long story but bear w/me..bought laptop fm BestBuy w/Norton included.  Notified by BestBuy Norton no longer supported and sent me to Webroot where Anti-virus was downloaded and good till 9/4/2014.  Geek squad will renew for $53+ but same protection is avail. fm Webroot for $40.  No brainer...  My question is this:  As I already have the software anti-virus already downloaded, on 9/14/2014 do I tell Webroot I want to "renew" or do I have to uninstall and re-install the anti-virus?

38 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello @ and @  all I can say is this advice from both of you is so valuable and informative I'm so glad that xbassman44 from Texas asked this question. Great job guys!! 😉
Userlevel 7
I am sorry for my delayed answer and for repeating what was already said. I had stepped away, saw the @ to me, and repied without checking other replies first,Sorry all, the replies prior to mine were correct and sufficient!
Userlevel 1
I talked w/Webroot today and I asked what level of protection I received from them in download.  They said I have the level called "antivirus".  In my situation I have only my laptop.  We live in a rural area and don't have cell service, cable or any other things big city people take for granted.  So "I guess" this level is ok.  NOW is see a level called "internet security plus"....what is the difference between the two and taking my situation into account, which would you  rec. for me?
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
😃 Oh @ more is always better!!;)
Userlevel 7

xbassman44 wrote:
I talked w/Webroot today and I asked what level of protection I received from them in download.  They said I have the level called "antivirus".  In my situation I have only my laptop.  We live in a rural area and don't have cell service, cable or any other things big city people take for granted.  So "I guess" this level is ok.  NOW is see a level called "internet security plus"....what is the difference between the two and taking my situation into account, which would you  rec. for me?
Have a look at this page and it will highlight the main differences between all 3 versions of WSA.  Personally, from what you say I would say that you are currently fine with the AV version.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 1
Me too. I considered depending on my two friends to help me. Their names are Smith & Wesson.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Me too. I considered depending on my two friends to help me. Their names are Smith & Wesson.

Good One! LOL
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
That is not correct.

The Best Buy Subscription you have currently is  NOT  the equivelant of Webroot Antivirus.  The Best Buy version you have is the same as Webroot Internet Securiry Plus.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Just for background, some of those licenses for sale on Ebay are ones where people get free keycodes (for instance from visiting the Webroot office) and then sell them.  There are cases where we've caught people doing that and invalidated the keycode, so that's another reason to be careful.  If you do get scammed, you can file a claim with Ebay and possibly get your money back.  Deals from legitimate retailers like NewEgg are ok though.  You can sometimes find up to 50% discounts if you look around.
Userlevel 1
I found a retailer in Dallas that has amazing deals of Webroot software.  When mine is about to expire that is where I am going...even beat so called deals on Ebay.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Nic that certainly answers the discussion we all had the other day or about EBay and licenses. Right @ ?
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I found a retailer in Dallas that has amazing deals of Webroot software.  When mine is about to expire that is where I am going...even beat so called deals on Ebay.
I would be very wary of that.... I have seen cases in which retailers are trying to resell expired licenses.
Userlevel 7
Completely agree with you David...as has oft been said here before..."if it seems too good to be true...then it is too good to be true...and steer WELL clear of it".

Not trying to scare you xbassman44...just be very careful.  I have learnt from bitter experience that the above is a truism.