Solved

"Right-Clicking" and "Yellow Key" Stop Working at Random Times

• 30 January 2013
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Hi,

At random times, I notice that the "Yellow Key" and "Right Clicking"  stop working. Shutting down Webroot and restarting it gets rid of the problem until the next time it happens.

As I said, the occurence is random, and I can't figure out what I'm doing on my end to cause the program to malfunction. 

Unfortunately, during these instances, the Webroot icon remains green, and I get no warning (or yellow flag)  that the program is not working properly. The only indication I get that a problem has occurred is the gold key is missing from the "W" icon when I go on any website. Fortunately, during this time, the antivirus parts of the program are still working; I checked with EICAR test virus (the file is deleted, without any pop up messages appearing on-screen or any follow-up scan taking place). 

Any thoughts on what may be causing this will be appreciated. I have the latest version of WSA installed (Win 7 - 64 bit)

Thanks for you help,

icon

Best answer by MikeR 30 January 2013, 20:39

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi greekguy - I believe you are actually referring to the padlock.

Please let me know if this is the "Yellow key" you are refering to. Also, please give additional details about your right-click problem. Are you saying that your right-click functionality stops completely, or that you cannot right-click the Webroot icon to get the context menu?

This is usually a cosmetic issue.  Typically the shield itself is working fine but the icon is not showing up properly in the system tray.

You can read this Knowledge Base Article for more information: Missing Identity Shield Padlock
Userlevel 2
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, when I say "Yellow Key" I was referring to the padlock. (This might be cosmetic. I'll test it out tonight.)

My reference to "Right-Clicking stops working" can be illustrated  using the actions one would go through when scanning a file that's sitting on your desktop. Under normal circumstances, you would "right'click" on the file and select "Scan with Webroot." At that point in time, a pop up appears and Webroot scans the file. During the times when the padlock stops appearing, I "right-click" on the file and the context menu pops up. But, when I select "Scan with Webroot," nothing happens. That fact that nothing happens when I select "Scan with Webroot" is what I'm trying to describe when I say "Right-Clicking" stops working. (I don't think this is cosmetic.)

If I shut down Webroot and restart it, the problem goes away and the program works just fine until the next time I notice the padlock missing........

Userlevel 7
Thank you for the very detailed response, that is helpful. I would like to use the support system to gather WSA logs and see if the service is crashing. Would you mind Opening a Support Ticket (you can copy & paste your original post as well as your second post within the ticket) so that we can send these instructions?

Edit: Logs were sent, a file was researched and it was determined that it was not malicious. It was explained that the keystrokes are only hidden while on https sites and the padlock only shows on these sites as well.
Userlevel 2
ok..will do