Solved

Running gnucash on Windows

• 1 January 2014
  • 6 replies

Hi,

I'm using Windows and Webroot for the first time, and I'm having a deeply frustrating experience trying to install (and then run) gnucash accounting software. I finally figured out that I could get it installed by turning everything off in webroot, but then on the initial execution of gnucash, webroot sees something it doesn't like and removes the .exe file altogether, despite the fact that I have whitelisted the very .exe file itself in webroot settings.

Can anybody help with this?

Fortunately, this is a free subscription to webroot, so at the very least I can just scrap it.

Thanks,

Sean
icon

Best answer by Rakanisheu Retired 2 January 2014, 10:25

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello smchadwell and welcome to the Webroot Community!

This should be pretty easy to fix.  First, please submit a Trouble Ticket.  This will allow Webroot Support to take a look at the program, they will probably ask you for some log information, and they might 'whitelist' the file to avoid this in the future.

As it IS New Years, obviously there may be a longer than normal delay in Support getting to new tickets created... so lets try to fix things for you.  First of all, are you POSITIVE that the program is NOT dangerous or malware in any way?  (I have never used it, so that is something for you to think about..)

Convinced it is 100% safe and should be marked as such?  OK, lets fix it.

Reboot the computer first.  I know you said you whitelisted it, but lets try it again after a reboot.

Open the WSA interface and click the 'gear tool' next to PC Security.  On the next screen, click the Quarantine tab.  Chances are you still see the .exe file listed here.  Click it to select it and then click the "Restore" button at the lower right corner.  That should restore the file to it's proper location.

Now lets set WSA to leave the file alone on your specific device.  (Each device will have to have this done until Support has reviewed and Whitelisted the file.)

In the same area of PC Security, (Click the Gear Tool), click the Allow/Block Files tab.  At the bottom, click the "Add File" button.  Navigate to the location of that .exe file and select it, and set it to "Allow".

Reboot the computer again, and try the program.

Let me know if this works to fix the problem for you for today, and remember to file that Trouble Ticket!
Sean,

I ws having the same problem today with gnucash 2.6.0 and webroot. Webroot kept deleting the .exe file and I did a system restore a couple times trying to see what the issue was. I just completed a system restore and downloaded the prior stable version of gnucash 2.4.14 and was able to install it without having a webroot issue. Thus, I think there may be a malware issue with the new release of gnucash.

I hope this helps.

APC
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Sean,

I ws having the same problem today with gnucash 2.6.0 and webroot. Webroot kept deleting the .exe file and I did a system restore a couple times trying to see what the issue was. I just completed a system restore and downloaded the prior stable version of gnucash 2.4.14 and was able to install it without having a webroot issue. Thus, I think there may be a malware issue with the new release of gnucash.

I hope this helps.

APC
If an older version works fine, and a new version doesn't, it is almost certainly not a matter of malware.  The problem is simply that Webroot Support may need to Whitelist the new .exe file.  That should take care of the issue for you both if my other directions fail to fix it for you.

Running the old version is a temporary solution, but I am sure you both would rather be able to use the current version.  :)
Thanks, David. The restoring and restarting got gnucash 2.6 running just fine (I hadn't really missed all the restarting business of Windows computers . . . and I sort of thought they'd have moved beyond that by now).

Should this be marked solved?

I also submitted the support request.

-Sean
Userlevel 7
If it continues to work for you, you can mark it solved.  If it is broken again after your next computer startup, toss in another reply and we will go from there.

Support should get back to you about getting it resolved in a more permanent manner though 🙂
Userlevel 7
The file has been fixed in our database and thus the file will no longer be detected as bad. If you have any further issues please feel free to reply.